Best Team In Each World Cup

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Renato Goulart, Jul 4, 2014.

1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I can agree with all you said here.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  2. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have only started watching since 1998 but here is my opinion from 1998 and on:

1998: 1. France, 2. Italy, 3. Brazil
    2002: 1. Italy, 2. Brazil, 3. Spain
    2006: 1. Italy, 2. France, 3. Brazil
    2010: 1. Spain, 2. Netherlands, 3. Germany
    2014: 1. Germany, 2. Argentina, 3. Netherlands

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Oh my, you're still flogging this decapitated horse?! :sleep: Remember in the old days when outcomes in major tournaments were decided by a coin toss (e.g. Italy 1968)?

Although, fortunately the best team won the coin toss each and every time. :whistling::unsure:

giles varley repped this.
  4. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Listen bro, anybody who has followed football over the years will tell you the same as me - the best does'nt always win..
    Its a fact of life..
    As i ve said - a team can dominate another team, miss chances, have legitimate goals disallowed etc and the other team has one chance and scores..

So you're telling me that south korea were better than italy and spain in the 2002 world cup and that they would've won without a dodgy official..
    You're telling me that when celtic beat barcelona in the CL they were the better team ? ? ...
    Are you saying that argentina were better than brazil in 1990 after being completely outplayed for 80 mins ?...

@leadleader @Pipiolo @greatstriker11

I would like to hear your views on this topic...

5. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada

Italy was pretty poor in '02. Have you forgotten? They played one good game in four, and went out in the group stage, beat Ecuador easily, lost to Croatia, and nearly lost to Mexico, before S. Korea knocked them out (w/or not with ref help depending upon your point of view), Croatia actually was making the knockouts instead of them until a very, very late Del Pierro goal secured your R16 ticket.

No Argentina in '06? Argentina was clearly class of the tournament in the group stage along with Spain, but both crashed early in the knockouts, however unlike Spain, Argentina actually looked to be a semi-finalist until Germany knocked out yet another goalie in a World Cup and again took advantage of it, scoring late to force extra time, and winning there after Argentina was forced to waste a sub on a goalie replacement.

I actually think both Chile, and Colombia played much better than Argentina in Brazil as well. Argentina played pretty poorly, but managed to just get by (largely through facing the weaker side of the bracket).

6. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    #281 It's called FOOTBALL, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    Posters keep poppin up with cloistered views. lol, I wasn't alive in 1968. Obviously there are exceptions like that and Korea in 2002.
    I'll reiterate that winning is everything. Are legit disallowed goals a valid excuse? Only in extreme cases, IMO.

I'll admit that S Korea in 2002 were disgracefully helped and thus, we never found out who was better due to ref corruption. Rare exception. Spain, Idk, the refs didn't screw them that much, I'll have to rewatch.

Celtic did not eliminate Barca, so no, they were not better. Barca proved they were better by going farther.

Argentina won, winning is everything. They were better. Who gives a toss if you're "outplayed", the final score is what matters. "Outplayed" is a misnomer, btw, outpossessed is more appropriate. Or outfailed since they failed to score more.

Again, the final score is what matters. The final score is what matters. The final score is what matters . The final score is what matters.

7. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah a team can be unlucky and lose, but also it's important to note how much of that "misfortune" is actually choking. I would say South Korea were better than Italy at WC02 but inferior to Spain. Argentina was actually only outplayed by Brazil in WC90 during the first half, things evened out during the second half and as the match wore on you could feel the wind leaving the Selecao's sails. I don't feel this is a particular match where one could say the losing side clearly deserved to win.

8. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    OMG Italy should have beat Croatia 3-2 and Mexico 3-1. 5 goals robbed from us in the tournament. 2 against Croatia, 2 against Mexico, and 1 against South Korea. Just look up Bad refereeing against Italy on youtube and you'll find it.

9. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Best teams to never win a WC is better

54-Hungary
    74-holland
    82-brazil
    90- italy
    98-holland
    02-italy
    06- argentina

unclesox and giles varley repped this.
  10. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    and there is my point - celtic beat a better team on the day..if that had been a knock out game then barcelona would have been eliminated..

unclesox repped this.
  11. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agree with all but italy 2002 ?

Pipiolo repped this.
  12. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was just using the brazil argentina game as an example.. brazil had the better chances hit the woodwork, muller missed a sitter.. brazil did dominate pip !.
    And argentina made them pay at the end.

13. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree but the dominance was mostly during the first half, Brazil gradually lost momentum during the second half and did not threaten nearly as much.

14. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yea italy 1998 was much better.

15. The Germans are coming

Aug 13, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    The eifel tower is in Rome? :p

16. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No italy 1998 WC squad instead of there 2002 team was great.m

The Germans are coming repped this.
  17. The Germans are coming

Aug 13, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    I appologise for misreading your post.

And agree with you.

Waliatiger repped this.
  18. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Oh yes, that must be the website that features all of those awful fouls on Italy, and erm, none of Italy's fouls on anybody.

I'm still waiting for an Italian to upload a, "2006 Expose: Epic Dive gets the Azzurri the Quarters!" youtube clip but I won't hold my breath.

Pipiolo repped this.
  19. Pirlopurity

Pirlopurity Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    If we lost, it would have been robbery. Materazzi send off in case you forgot. Changed the game, don't tell me a red card doesn't change the game. Gave Australia control of the match after they were getting flogged. No red card, we win the game plain and simple. In your mind Australia would have won the game if not for the penalty yeah cos they had control of the game? Goes both ways. No red, Italy wins because they had control of the game.

Case closed.

20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Why is it whenever I see somebody end a post with "case closed"

I automatically assume they had no case?

:laugh:

unclesox and Pipiolo repped this.
  21. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I so agree. Before the red card, we were killing them. Also even with the red card Australia was possibly controlling the match, but we were defending very well.

Pirlopurity repped this.
  22. Pirlopurity

Pirlopurity Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    #297 Pirlopurity, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    Spot on Italy-Azzurri. As mentioned in another post, the Aussies were lucky to even be in the second round. Tim Cahill gave away what should have been a penalty right after he levelled vs the Japanese. see you later right there. Kewell's equaliser vs Croatia was offside too, though in fairness to them they had a couple of things, 3 in fact go against them. Should have had a penalty for a handball by Croatia, Simunic should have gone sooner and had a legit goal ruled out which was total bs.

Things go for and against you. Only biased people see things one way. It goes both.

23. Hideo

Hideo Member

Newcastle United and Shimizu S-Pulse
    Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And Italian fans always follow this statement when it comes to 2002.....

24. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    2002 was really rigged though, please name me a decision that went for us?

25. Pirlopurity

Pirlopurity Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    5 goals disallowed and a contentious 2nd yellow for diving which looked more of a penalty. Common sense isn't one of your virtues. . If there are two controversial things in the one game, mention them both, not just one which suits you. Since you clearly can't do that I'll also give you another example. In the Australia-Croatia game I did state that the Aussies had 3 things go against them even though one went for. It's just above your post, but obviously you're too dumb to read that or perhaps you just don't want to acknowledge it. I take an unbiased view when watching games, you might want to do the same instead of being such a bitter person.

Kind regards.

Pipiolo repped this.