Best Team In Each World Cup

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Renato Goulart, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Renato Goulart

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Jun 25, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm seeing a lot of discussions about how many World Cups were robbed, or this or that team was more deserving of a title, and that the World Cup is not a fair format to determine the best team in the world. Although I disagree with most of these conspiracy theories, there's no doubt that some of the best teams we've seen have been upset at a WC and came home empty handed.

I'd like to see everyone's opinion about who would be the worthy winners of each World Cup. Imagine that matchup was played in a best-of-seven series in white the best team always wins.

2. Renato Goulart

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Jun 25, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Here are my picks:

1930: Uruguay
    1934: Italy
    1938: Italy
    1950: Brazil
    1954: Hungary
    1958: Brazil
    1962: Brazil
    1966: Germany
    1970: Brazil
    1974: Netherlands
    1978: Brazil
    1982: Brazil
    1986: Argentina
    1990: Italy
    1994: Brazil
    1998: France
    2002: Brazil
    2006: Italy
    2010: Germany

Brazil - 8
    Italy - 4
    Germany - 2
    Argentina - 1
    Uruguay - 1
    France - 1
    Netherlands - 1
    Hungary - 1

Pietro Calcio and giles varley repped this.
  3. NigelHarries5

NigelHarries5 New Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Has to be germany, especially if this ridiculous song is anything to go by!

4. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    1930: Uruguay
    1934: Italy
    1938: Brazil
    1950: Brazil
    1954: Hungary
    1958: Brazil
    1962: Brazil
    1966: West Germany
    1970: Brazil
    1974: Netherlands
    1978: Italy
    1982: Brazil
    1986: Argentina
    1990: Italy
    1994: Romania
    1998: Netherlands
    2002: Brazil
    2006: Argentina
    2010: Spain

5. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Maybe you should have thought a little harder about this thread idea. The team who deserves to win is the won who wins.................................................................

6. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This thread and the teams picked are hilarious. A mod should rename this "Show your bias and/or lack of Football knowledge"

1950 Brazil (yes they deserved it because.....just because)
    1994 Romania
    2006 Argentina ROFLMAO

And on the flip 1986 Argentina....because teams that need to use hand ball goals deserve to be champions.

Keep them coming, I'm dying!

jerrito repped this.
  7. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Show us up by providing your own list... mod.

8. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Why? It would be pure bias. Rename the thread title and then I will chime in. Until then, go on google look up "World Cup champions List" and there you go.

jerrito repped this.
  9. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It what sense? Not every team I listed is one I care for.

10. Oddo26

Oddo26 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    It's not pure bias as long as you remain objective. This thread is relevant because sometimes the best team doesn't win due to an assortment of factors bad calls by the ref, a freak goal, flukes, penalty shootout's etc. The best example of this is in the 1954 WC Final where Hungary lost 3-2 to West Germany where the equalizer was called offside when it was clearly onside allowing West Germany to win the Cup.

1930 Uruguay
    1934 Czechoslovakia or Austria
    1938 Italy
    1950 Brazil
    1954 Hungary
    1958 Brazil
    1962 Brazil
    1966 England
    1970 Brazil
    1974 Netherlands
    1978 Netherlands
    1982 France or Brazil
    1986 Argentina
    1990 Germany
    1994 Brazil
    1998 France
    2002 Brazil
    2006 France
    2010 Spain

Renato Goulart and Pandore repped this.
  11. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    France goes down a man which ultimately is the reason for their loss and you call that deserving of a world cup. That's funny, really is.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  12. Oddo26

Oddo26 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    France got the better chances the whole game and should have taken the lead prior to Zidane's being sent off. The send-off was actually largely irrelevant to how the game turned out( unless France would have scored in the final ten minutes) as the game went to penalty's. Only David Trezeguet's miss off the crossbar separated the two sides during the penalty shoot-out. France IMO outplayed Italy in that final and thus deserved to win the Cup in 06 Zidane's head-butt while noteworthy doesn't change that.

BlueMan repped this.
  13. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So their captain, arguably their best player all tournament, their best pk taker, off the pitch in a ridiculous act of vengeance had no impact on the game. Wow the logic on BS is stupifying

Pietro Calcio, GoodDead and jerrito repped this.
  14. Oddo26

Oddo26 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Well yeah. Only 10 minutes were remaining when Zidane got sent off in a game which already looked doomed to go to penalties. Now if Italy had scored the winner in those 10 minutes yes Zidane would have been at fault but that din't happen. Regardless if Zidane had been there to take a penalty Trezeguet would have also taken one and seeing as every other player in the shootout converted their penalty's this would have had no bearing on the outcome of the game whatsoever (barring an AU where Zidane scored the winner in the final 10 minutes of extra time) .

15. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Surely the sending off had an impact if they deserved to win and didn't..10 minutes is an eternity. The team that won deserved it because they won. You're basically arguing that a player that made the difference all tournament wouldn't have just because the game was destined to penalties. You disregard the whole wtf factor that event had on the game. Get real. Italy won and they deserved it, end of.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  16. Oddo26

Oddo26 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    You are entitled to your opinion but I sincerely believe that France was a better team that played a better game and had the better chances. The entire point of this thread is to disregard the wtf factor which is the main reason the best team doesn't always win. I believe France played the best football in 2006 and deserved to win the cup just like if the Argentines had managed to win on penalties today I would say Germany deserved to win the world cup.

17. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Deserved to win on penalties...? You miss the part where Higuain was alone in front of Neuer and scuffed it wide????? How do you think that not putting those chances away = deserving to win?

What about Rojo's ball to Palacio? Failing to put the ball on target means you should've won the game?

Holy jesus.

18. Renato Goulart

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Jun 25, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think there's no doubt that for 2014, Germany wins in all aspects.

19. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

20. BlueMan

BlueMan Red Card

Sep 4, 2006
    Brazil
    Not really. I thought that they were outplayed by France but got a BS foul call that led to an early goal (a soft one at that). Things could have been very different in that game.

21. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    D'un point de vue d'un français, c'est certain

22. The411

The411 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    The ones I think that are tarnished are Argentina in 1986 which not only had the hand of God but also had Belgium have 2 goals disallowed by incorrect offsides calls in the semi match v. Argentina

2002 Brazil's win was probably the most scandalous due to the Wilmots goal being disallowed for no particular reason. A goal, which would have put Belgium up 1-0 and changed the game, not to mention the atrocious officiating that brought South Korea into the Semi final

23. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    You don't know what scandal is let along the "most" ...
    Do not forget FACT" Brazil won comfortably 2-0 ... and plus many wasted chances in 2nd half ... it would be a SURE WIN by any EXCUSES - worst case 2-1 win OK?

What about Puskas tying goal disallowed in WC54 so Germany could win?
    What bout Netherland advanced R16 by Robben diving PK?
    What about Italy 2006 advanced R16 by Grosso's diving PK ?
    and many more ....

24. Hideo

Hideo Member

Newcastle United and Shimizu S-Pulse
    Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So you picked Argentina as deserving winners in 1986 despite making progress thanks to a handball goal, and yet pick West Germany as deserving winners for 1966 presumably because England "scored" with a goal that shouldn't have been given?

Seems slightly contradictory to me.

Again I assume Brazil are your deserving winners from 1978 because of Argentina's "suspect" win over Peru which eliminated them? But they would still have had the Dutch to play. Netherlands were a more deserving winner than Brazil because a) they reached the final and b) they hit the post at the very end of normal time. Had it gone it they would have won. Rather more deserving than Brazil in my opinion.

Italy in 2006 had to manufacture a penalty to get past Australia in the Last 16 yet they are your deserving winners? Is it purely because Zidane headbutted Materazzi that you chose them?

And Germany in 2010? Kept at arm's length by Spain in the semi final, despite all their goal scoring against very poor England and Argentina sides.

Anyway, I know it's all personal opinion and subjective, but it does look as though you've chosen some teams as worthy based on possibly one incident and overlooked situations when they got lucky or were the beneficiaries of dodgy calls or downright cheating, and written others off as unworthy in spite of the same things happening to them.

The only deserving winners were those who lifted the trophy in my opinion. It's a shame that Hungary in '54 and Netherlands in '74 missed out. Likewise Brazil in '82, but they didn't deserve it as they failed.

25. Renato Goulart

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Jun 25, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Of course all the champions have their merit, and if you lift the trophy it's because you probably got through all the challenges to get there. Perhaps "deserving" is a poor way to describe it, but I couldn't think of anything better. In any case I just wanted to see what everyone's perceptions were in regards to each world cup.

I'm not going to get technical on every aspect of my decision, and if you disagree with them that's fine. They all have a bit of bias from my perspective, from the media articles I've read, etc. Basically, I was trying to say that: I think that if they played the 1974 WC again another 10 times, with the same teams, same conditions, etc, the Netherlands would win most of the time. The same for Brazil in 1982, Hungary 1954, etc.

I'm not trying to take away anything from the actual champions. In my opinion, they've managed to overcome what I thought were better teams in order to win the trophy, which is remarkable and pretty much all that matters.

unclesox repped this.