Best story of your week - 2017

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Dr. Gamera, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Yeah, I hate getting caught out on transition on an uphill pitch. :barefoot:

dadman repped this.
  2. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Some days the pitches I work are uphill in both directions.

Doug the Ref, voiceoflg, dadman and 4 others repped this.
  3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I recently had a couple of those games--the ones that aren't any fun and make you wonder why you do this at all and if there are better things to do with the time (especially those of us who are volunteers).

Dropped down and did a G14 game. Surprising hot day. Sweet kids. Both coaches positive--I think I heard only one complaint the whole game. The kind of game where the girls apologize when they foul and help the other girl up. Both coaches were squirting girls from either team to help them cool off. Ok, I'm not ready to quit yet. :)

4. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016

I came home from a two game set one morning and noticed that i had 45 flights registered...funny because my fitbit doesn’t give me a flight when i go up the stairs in my house half the time. I didn’t realize until i drove past the field a couple days later that there is a huge crown going from sideline to sideline at midfield.

dadman repped this.
  5. flyfishhi

flyfishhi Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Honolulu
    U19 Boys, Attacking player makes a pass a little outside the 18 and gets rewarded with a late hit from a defender. Coach is screaming REFEREEEEEE, as the ball goes to a wide open teammate at the top of the 18. Takes the shot and makes it.
    Ask the coach if he still wants the foul or would he settle for the goal?
    Every once in a while advantage acually does occur.

dadman, Law5, voiceoflg and 3 others repped this.
  6. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    Had a BU15 game this weekend with home winning 3-0. After the game, both coaches told me I called a perfect game and was the best ref of the season. Felt pretty good.

Doug the Ref, Bio-Hazard, Gary V and 6 others repped this.
  7. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    I always assume this is the case unless someone says otherwise - only way to maintain sanity :)

Doug the Ref, rh89, Gary V and 3 others repped this.
  8. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I have been the best and worst in same match.

Gary V and dadman repped this.
  9. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Fitbit is not real good at "floors." I rode my motorcycle to a game once and got a special award for climbing more than 100 floors of steps in a single day... o_O

dadman repped this.
  10. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    I don't know how accurate my Charge 2 is, but it's pretty precise when it is actually measuring the floors from a staircase. I do stairs in the building next door several times a day and I get a very consistent number of floors each time (12-13 floors for a trip up and down).

11. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Agree it doesn't do a good job with floors. I also get a lot of floors and steps every time I cut the grass with the riding mower, so I am not surprised about your motorcycle. Something about the right vibration frequency I guess.

12. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    About 90% of the time I get a report of 12 floors when I do these stairs. There are 192 stairs with a rise of 7.5 inches, which is 1440 in. or 120 ft. Fitbit claims a floor is 10 ft, so my 12 floors per trip is right on. So it is good for stairs, but less so for other activities. I too accumulate steps and floors with my riding mower so vibrations steering motions must confuse it.

13. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a garmin vivofit and a push mower. I am very disappointed in how well it counts steps and distance while mowing the grass or pushing a grocery store cart! Also it does not count for anything for bike riding!

dadman repped this.
  14. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Sunday I was an assistant referee on our men's open adult league. This league is an USASA Elite Amateur League. The league had teams that have won the US open cup (blah blah blah). Anyways, the game was very difficult. I worked with two officials who were from Africa and that was interesting in itself. The regular Open Cup 4th round team is playing the defending champs from 2016. First off we have a complete clash of styles. The defending champs were playing a complete British style of play (counter attacking sit back and absorb pressure) and beat them off a fast break. The open cup team was playing a more heavy possession based Spanish style (build out the back) etc. In the game we had a deadlock for the first 30 mins. However, the Spanish style team had heavy possession with long spells of the brit team having to defend. Finally, around the 35th minute we get the first goal off of a counter attack from the brit team. The team scores a beautiful first time hit on top of the area. The open cup team is up in arms and starting to fight amongst each other. The Spanish team is the better team but they're being outplayed in the last 10 minutes and concede another goal this time it was a lack of pressure and 30 yard screamer. As the first half winds down on we had 3 cautions in the first half. All to the losing team.
    Beginning the second half in the first 5 minutes one of the defenders for the losing team kicks an opponent off the ball. A bunch of players yelling and mad little did they realize that was his second caution so we have the losing team playing with 10 players. At this point I think the red card wakes this team up and they decide to play. Around the 55th minute mark we get the first goal which was a deflection goal off a defenders foot sending the goalkeeper the opposite way. The team has life. The next goal comes 5 mins later to tie it up. All off of a fast break. A player scoops it out past the line and brings it back into play. I point my flag up and indicate it was a good goal. By the 60th minute mark the Brit team was huffing and puffing. A player for the team comes off and yells to his coach "I don't understand these guys are running and beating us to the ball and they have 1 less player!" Finally after 20 mins of good play in the second half we have a mass confrontation. With the game tied we had a foul happen right in front of the team playing short. It wasn't anything with excessive force but where it was at on the field and with the emotions of the game I strong suggested to the referee to go with a caution. This match opens up. The next 5 mins we have hard tackle after hard tackle. We have jersey pulls and we have players standing over other players after fouls. Our big moment of truth comes in the 78th minute. The field is marked funny because its shared with a pointy ball field. It has markings for pointy ball right on top of the penalty area. So there are 3 parallel lines that all look like the penalty area line. We get the team playing short attacking on a good counter attack. A player holds him but he continues through it and our center official indicates advantage. Another player comes and kicks him. As he is kicked the player is inside the second line. This line happens to be the penalty area line. I indicate to the referee we have a foul and that its inside the penalty area which he confirms as well. The team is in uproar. After we calm the team down we get play restarted and the losing team at halftime, playing short goes ahead 3-2. in the final 10 mins not even 2 mins after taking the lead a player who was sitting on a caution goes and kicks a player off the ball. The referee doesn't see it but I intervene by coming onto the field before any mass confrontation. The referee sorts things out I give him some information and we have another player leaving the field for the 10 man team. This puts them at 9 players. The rest of the 8 mins are the Brit team trying to score. We give 4 mins of stoppage time and the 9-man team goes on to win it 3-2. Afterwards we had a tally of 7 yellow cards and 2 send-offs. Honestly, one of the best games I have done seeing a team come back after being down two goals to score 3 all while playing with 10 men. Then to go on and go down to 9 men and hold onto the lead. UNREAL.

MNpenguin, dadman, Law5 and 3 others repped this.
  15. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    I don't want my reply to diminish your story in any way. It sounds like a great, exciting day!

But my instructor self kicks in here...

You did what?

16. swoot

swoot Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the ball goes over the goal line and quickly back into play the first signal is to raise your flag straight up. Then when you have the attention of the referee you make your sprint up the sideline.

Well done!

uniqueconstraint, dadman, rh89 and 2 others repped this.
  17. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016

The full quote from the OP was...

So, if a defender scoops the ball out of the goal and back into play, that is (at least the beginning of) the correct procedure. The OP doesn't mention it, but I am going to assume he runs up the line after the CR acknowledges his flag up....

rh89 and frankieboylampard repped this.
  18. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

@wguynes i did exactly as swoot said. My bad I forgot to include the important part of making eye contact with the referee and running up field. I promise my refereeing isn't as bad as my writing skills are

19. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    If the English language only had 17 Laws we would all have a lot less to contend with!

Schlager, voiceoflg, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  20. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    My significant other can agree with this post!

dadman repped this.
  21. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    That's the part I missed; that it was in-and-out.

I have a steady stream of youths at the moment who have [from somewhere] received instruction to point their flag at the center circle to signal a goal. I'm relieved to know that it is merely a local thing.

22. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Member

Jun 15, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O-30 1st division, in an unaffiliated league who is attempting to affiliate next year:

1.) Red card for a 1st caution (mistaken identity), and another red.
    2.) Game ends with two more players strangling and headbutting each other.
    3.) The referee did not write any misconducts in his match report.

23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I've seen that, too. Rather than being something that was instructed, I've always assumed it was confusing R and AR signals.

24. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    We had a couple of higher level referees that seem to be convinced that this is the proper AR signal.

Sigh.

25. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I see that as well instead of running up the field. A couple who did that, I just assumed it was laziness considering what else they do. But a few others i think maybe they were taught that.

Changing gears, one thing I should know by now but screwed up on was "Know your ROC." U8 rec, 4v4 no keepers. Due to confusion on who was doing what games, I wound up doing these two last night. I asked the coaches are we doing quarters or halves and how long? One seven year old player asked "Are you new?" His coach said "No, he usually does older ages." The player asked "Why did he ask how long the game is? Isn't he supposed to know that? What else doesn't he know?"

:speechless:

tomek75, dadman, Cheese4 and 3 others repped this.