Best Story of the Week - 2019

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I recall playing a game with a goal that had a support bar at top back. Ball went out of play, hit that back bar, and was playfully headed into the goal by an opponent. As both teams got ready for a GK, the refs signaled for a goal. Yes, I said refs--it was a dual ref team, and the closest of them was about 40 yards up the field with no angle to realize it hit the back bar instead of the front. :confused::rolleyes::mad:

2. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I have saved a dual partner more than once from that mistake. Good thing I still have the (corrected) vision to call those PKs from 70 yards out.

voiceoflg and roby repped this.
  3. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Here’s why I “love” our sport. In the spring during the weekday, I umpire HS baseball. It gets me out of the house, I enjoy it. It’s horrible baseball. As our sport has grown in quality, baseball has seriously declined. My presiction for my neck of the woods is that in 5 years, there will be only varsity teams.

Anyway, the reason for the post! We play our game rain or shine. Baseball can’t. Out of 49 games scheduled for me this spring, I have done 28. 21 rainouts. What a miserable spring.

dadman, roby and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  4. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Are you a Norman Rockwell fan? I gave my bro in Nutley a print on his b'day.

[​IMG]

5. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Here is my invention, anyone is invited to steal it and make a million dollars:
    Attach something metal to the football goal that makes a loud clanging noise when struck.

voiceoflg, dadman and YoungRef87 repped this.
  6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Poor man's GLT!

voiceoflg, jdmahoney, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  7. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually used that to convince a group of girls that the ball bounced off the pointyball crossbar and not the goal crossbar. It was about 10"'s higher than the goal crossbar (not sure the exact measurement on how tall a FG bar is from the ground, I don't ref pointyball. Anyway, a few girls came up to me after it rang off the pointy crossbar and said it had gone off the soccer crossbar and therefor was never out. I simply asked them if they heard it hit, they said yes, and I said did it sound like the "doink" you hear when a football clanks off the upright or was it the harder ping when you bounce one off the goal frame. They all agreed with the "doink" and we took the GK without anymore problems.

IASocFan, Bubba Atlanta and dadman repped this.
  8. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    Sounds like a 3 stooges episodes with the sound effects

9. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I’ve been thinking about this lately. Especially since USL soccer continues to grow and outside of big MLB teams it seems some of the other sports markets are hemorrhaging fans. However, I don’t follow MLB. Basically anything but Premier league and a few MLS teams.

10. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    I know for a fact that NASCAR has been hemorrhaging fans for several years now. Also, I just heard that MLB is having a fair drop in attendance (this probably being due to the fact that every team in the league plays at least 162 games).

frankieboylampard repped this.
  11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I think I read somewhere recently that MLS attendance is going to exceed MLB this year. Or did I make that up?

12. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    You made that up.

13. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
  14. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    And the fact that each game 3 hours........

15. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I've had 13 soccer games cancelled due to weather. This past Saturday, three due to the threat of severe weather. A threat that never materialized. I worked two for $42, but I will get paid for all five, a total of $145. $103 for just being there.

16. Chaik

Chaik Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    My theory after reffing and coaching both soccer and baseball and softball? The kids don't like the pressure of baseball/softball. If you strike out, make an error, throw a wild pitch, etc. it is painfully obvious to every person at the field who it was who screwed up. And most adults understand the game and its intricacies and can tell that Johnny didn't cover second base or Susie missed the cutoff.

Lacrosse and soccer? For most observers it is a mass of 22 players running at random after a ball. If you fail to mark your man, or if you don't see the pass that would have sprung a break on goal, no one knows. You can hide. Maybe 3-4% of the people watching can tell who the "good" and "bad" players are.

dadman, YoungRef87 and frankieboylampard repped this.
  17. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm in a dual system, I usually talk to my partner about the trail official watching high shots when there are football goal posts. The same goes for the trail AR in DSC.

dadman and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  18. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Our state high school championship games for the larger schools classifications are played at a stadium that has gridiron football goalposts. The first couple of years we were at that venue, the state high school association was unwilling to pay $500 for the football goals to be taken down (and, later, put back up) for the championships. So we had that potential problem on the state championships. However, since then, there is a new executive director of the state high school association. He played soccer in high school, not football, so they pay for the football goals to be removed. I've been at this so long that I remember refereeing his games. And I remember my dual partner getting into an argument with his coach, in Hungarian, while I just stood back at a distance and "monitored." "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."

19. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I put this out here with trepidation because I do not want to re-litigate this in these pages, just want to share some good news (in my view):

Colorado high schools are going to standard diagonal system of control this fall (2019), moving from the double-dual (three-whistle) system - with the caveat that if there are only two refs available (as in most JV matches), the dual system (two whistles) will be used. This is a step in the right direction for Colorado.

If someone wants a big debate on this issue, please find an appropriate thread and go at it, just not in the Best Story of the Week.

Kit, YoungRef87, refinDC and 5 others repped this.
  20. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    Can you explain to someone very new to reffing as to why this is a step in the right direction? :)

21. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Colorado for leaving the darkness of double dual behind. Looking at you PA and FL.

Geko, YoungRef87 and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  22. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just sent you a message - really don't want to take up this thread with it.

IASocFan, RespectTheGame, dadman and 3 others repped this.
  23. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily a "best story", but a real-life tale of what the referee shortage is doing to us. I was assigned to a varsity game with conference championship implications - if the road team wins, they are outright conference champs. Early this week, my assignor puts me on a two-man crew for a JV game right before this varsity game. I emailed back and basically asked, "Are you sure?" Unfortunately, we were out of refs and I had to work the game.

The photo shows the results, and this was after I made a concerted effort (and also informed the AD and both coaches) to conserve my energy. I made one sprint in the JV game - I was just constantly moving at a walk. The varsity game wasn't my best effort by my standards. I was out of position quite a bit since I just couldn't get as wide as I wanted to get - the legs just weren't there. One of my son's friends plays on the winning team and said I did well, but I just didn't feel like I usually do before a big game.

If we had young referees, the JV game would have been a great game for a young referee to be on the game instead of me. The shortage is real.

Attached Files:

24. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    What kind of field are they playing on that gives you elevation gain like that? lol

25. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't trust those elevation numbers at all. I've done games on a completely flat field with Field Turf and it says I've gained a couple hundred feet of elevation.

I love my Garmin, but some of the stats are a little, shall I say, interesting.