Best Story of the Week - 2019

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know there will be a day soon when I can't, so I'm going to give it all I have until the legs give out.

Funny story with that big kid from Thursday night's game. The other team's forward was about ready to challenge this kid for an aerial ball. I know the forward a little and his family - he attended the same confirmation class as my son. The other team's forward is a freshman, but he's a pretty big kid himself and built pretty solid for a freshman. He starts to challenge, sees that his opponent is going to be the big kid, and backs off saying "No way am I doing that". I literally laughed hard enough that a different kid asked me what was said.

IASocFan, Law5, MJ91 and 3 others repped this.
  2. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I wish I could ever run like that.

IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  3. Sam_C

Sam_C Member

Manchester City
    Brazil
    Jun 19, 2018
    100th game in the books. U18B NEP center and the coaches made it obvious before the game started that they had some history. Could've used a 4O for the benches and coaches yapping at each other towards the end of the game if I'm honest, but we stayed in control on the field with five cautions and quite a few words. Somehow there wasn't a single offside called in 90 minutes, although I waved one off due to a defender deliberately playing the ball (in the wrong direction). There was one reckless challenge flashpoint where fists were close to being thrown, but I was right on top of it with a whistle that ruptures eardrums, thanks Valkeen. My goal for the next 100 is to find my way into some affiliated adult and college games, although I'm not sure how attainable that is. Full speed ahead!

IASocFan, Law5, ArgylleRef and 10 others repped this.
  4. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Did a set of limited substitution matches today. I LOVE them. Most teams had an average 5 subs (no re-entry). Games tend to move along at a better clip.

Anyway, the games were SOOOOO quiet both from a coaching and parenting angle. And the weather was nice, we did a good job, but I cannot recall doing 4 matches in that much silence.

At the field at 12:15, home by 8:45. Sore, but good day.

IASocFan, Law5, MJ91 and 5 others repped this.
  5. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    Had a not so Best Story time today. Un-scanctioned Hispanic adult mens league game. Teams are at their normal sound and fury not signifying a whole lot.

Early on, call black for impeding white in the box and award IFK at about 15 yds out. No real complaint or request for PK and no goal scored.

About 10 minutes later, white is driving hard inside the box and a black defender who is shoulder to shoulder reaches out with his left arm and grabs the white strikers left shoulder and pulls hard enough to spin him off stride. Another defender and the keeper arrive a second later and they all crash together.

I am directly behind the play and immediately call for PK. White team goes nuts. The other defender is loudest (and I know he could not see the foul) and is getting in my face. Among the main complaint is that if I did not award a PK at the other end, why am I now. SIGH.....

Then, in the 10 seconds of yelling, gesturing and what not, he hits/bumps/bangs my shoulder. Nothing major, or even intentional, but I did not even think before I had the RC out.

What for? he screeches - for putting your hand on me. I didn't touch you. Yes you did, you're done. Luckily, a teammate came up and moved him out and we got on with the PK. Final score ended up at 9-0.

This is the first time I have ever been in this type of situation. Plenty of argument/discussions, but first time been touched. Not a huge deal to me, but still makes me think about things. These games pay decent ($75/55/55) and very close to home, but there is so much "angst" that it is never a fun game.

6. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    What's an "unsanctioned" game? How does it get paid? I thought un-sanctioned meant that games that were not approved by the governing body?

7. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    An unsanctioned or unaffiliated game is a game outside the jurisdiction of US soccer. Essentially governed by their own set of rules.
    Some leagues do it for financial incentives (cut corners paying officials, fields, insurance etc) others Bc they have teams that have issues, players that don’t qualify, etc.
    most of the unaffiliated leagues pay cash on the field. Or I would in theory only work unaffiliated leagues that paid me cash upfront, then trust them to pay me a check later or for it not to bounce.

8. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    We do not wear our badges and get paid cash at the field. Teams actually do a collection at half time to pay us. We don't start 2nd half until we get paid.

It is basically a few steps above pickup soccer, but to the players and teams, it is EVERYTHING. They have us track goal scorers and have standings with playoffs and championship trophies. Also I hear that they pay fines for YC and RC.

Because they are unsanctioned, you are not covered by any ref insurance and therefore you ref at your own risk. Some refs will not do these games for this reason.

9. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were doing those games, the 1st half doesn't start until I get paid!

10. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Our city parks and rec department has soccer that is not under the umbrella of USSF. Their rules are close to USSF Academy, except no build out line and substitutes are not at any stoppage. They provide us t-shirts to wear, but we can wear USSF jerseys without badges if colors clash. Most rec referees, including myself, go on to get certified and/or work high school games. I guess technically the games are indeed "sanctioned." Just sanctioned by a different governing body.

11. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    75 dollars in the middle for THAT type of match is not worth it. In my above 4 match day, affiliated, it was 3 matches at 80/40/40 and one at 90/45/45. Not worth time or money.

And unless it is clearly impeding WITHOUT any contact, that’s always going to be holding and a penalty for-me.

12. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    Unfortunately, non HS games that pay over over $70 are rare around here. I did a U16B Cup center today and was pleasantly surprised to learn it paid $80. Doing the un-sanctioned games has always been an economic thing. And can sometimes be fun and challenging. But this game was just challenging.

On the impeding - the ball was 10 ft in the air, headed out of the box towards the sideline. Attacker was goal side of the defender and trying to get around him away from the goal. There was contact, but no way am I giving a PK on a non-scoring opportunity like that.

dadman repped this.
  13. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    And from your description, thats not even impeding.

14. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I learned a roster rule for DA games on Saturday. FC Dallas asked if some of their players didn't play in the U-17 match, could they play up in the U-19 match because, "Eight of our players were called up to [North Texas SC] so we only have 14." I had to email US Soccer to find out that as long as they are printed on the roster, no write-ins, and they didn't play in a previous game, they are allowed to play in the older age group.
    Turns out they didn't have a roster with any of the U17s on it so they had to play with the 14 (including 2 GKs) they traveled with. Not that it mattered, they still stomped their opponents 6-1.

15. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    Coaching in a tourney this past weekend, watching two upcoming opponents play just prior to our match.

Final minute, ball goes out for goal kick by Green who's down 0-2. Action resumes, but something is causing me to do a mental double-take...

Red team, winning 2-0, had immediately gained possession and was attacking, but one of their parents is going ballistic in the stands, "That was a goal kick!! They can't punt it!! They haaaaave toooooo goooooal kiiiiiick!!!"

AR was waving his flag, CR had whistled and inquired with Green's GK... Yes, she had punted it... Restart with a proper GK. Game ends 30 seconds later.

As my team's crossing the field to take our bench, I veer towards the crew with a big smile on my face...

Me: "Who'd have thought you'd have to watch for THAT in a U18 travel match??"

CR is laughing, "I know!! I had to think for a second, 'Did I really just see that?!?'" o_O

She was AR1 on our game and jokingly reminded me no punting on GK's. :thumbsup:

Our CR & her thanked us afterwards for proper GK execution -- we were all still chuckling over it and Mr. Outraged Parent.

(Side note: I really liked our CR's foul selection throughout the match even when it was against us... many good examples for me in discerning contact having an unfair effect on play vs. no-call's when there's really no harm done and players aren't really expecting a whistle.)

dadman and YoungRef87 repped this.
  16. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I can’t tell you the number of times really weird things in matches have happened. And usually it takes a few beats before one of the crew catches it. It’s like your mind is playing tricks. Did I just see that?

RJonesUSC, dadman and MJ91 repped this.
  17. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    A defining moment for me, looking back, was when I went from "I referee in order to stay in shape" to "I get in shape in order to referee." I run or otherwise work out, or have a game, about five or six days a week. It was not easy in the beginning. After I tried doing my workout at night, I realized I had too many conflicts in the evening, so I now get up very early in the morning and do my running or other work out. Yesterday, I was thinking about what route I was going to run this morning. About ten minutes later, I realized, "Oh, wait. I have a game tomorrow night." So I got to sleep in this morning. :)

The other day, my Garmin told me that my VOM is 50. According to at least one website, for anyone 45 and older, a VOM of 35 or above is considered to be excellent. The NISOA physical last year was so easy that I was talking to the other runners the whole time we were running. My role model is Harry Rodgers, who was still doing high school games in his 90's. I'm still a long way from that!

IASocFan, dadman, YoungRef87 and 4 others repped this.
  18. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
  19. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    VO2 Max.

20. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I do HS games like I'm in my 90's. That's gotta count for something .

IASocFan, dadman, jayhonk and 2 others repped this.
  21. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I might have had a 50 when I was a high school cross-country runner. Today, it's probably negative 50.

dadman repped this.
  22. BrianD

BrianD Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jun 29, 2018
    HSGV center last night. Second Varsity center of the season, and probably 4th ever. One of the coaches approached the crew at halftime and told us it was one of the best called games he has had this season.

Not a complicated game, but I had a couple of interesting firsts. My first RC, for one player swearing loudly at an opponent. First time I've seen a team play on offside trap on DFKs. They created a high/tight line and all took a step forward as the FK taker started her run at the ball. Basically put the whole team offside since they were watching the ball. It was also the first time I've seen someone smart enough to take a DFK quickly from just outside the PA. I called a foul on a counter attack, so there weren't many players forward. The defense didn't crowd the ball, so the attacker got up, spotted the ball where I pointed, and took a shot at goal. Unfortunately it was right at the keeper.

The last interesting thing was a shot that sailed well high of the goal. I didn't blow the whistle since it was clearly out, but signaled, announced the goal kick, and headed up field. I hear a commotion and turn to see a girl with the ball dribble around a defender, bury the ball in the back of the net and start celebrating. Turns out the ball caught just enough of the football goalpost above and behind the goal to bounce nearly straight up and land a couple of feet on the pitch. The girls played to the whistle.

IASocFan, dadman, jayhonk and 1 other person repped this.
  23. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    You have to be really vigilant with those football goals right over the soccer goal. It's easy to miss if you're not paying close attention.

IASocFan and voiceoflg repped this.
  24. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Last night arriving at the field for a boys U16 game there is a girl's team finishing up their practice. I recognize the coach as he has been with one of the local clubs for quite some time. He sees me and comes over to say hello and tells me what a great job I did on a game a couple weeks ago when I was solo on a top level U14 girl's match his team was in. I remembered those kids had me sprinting back and forth the whole game and there were plenty of offside calls to be made with no AR help, so it felt great to get that kind of positive feedback.

I don't think anyone is going to give me kudos for the boys game that followed, it wasn't my best. Had only one AR and it was one of those games where I wish he hadn't been there.

tomek75, MJ91, seattlebeach and 4 others repped this.
  25. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    Haven't posted in a while, but boy have I had a fun season.

Before the season started, I went to my state's Intermediate Upgrade Clinic (for those who are looking to upgrade to Grade 7 or Grade 6). While I was there, I met our state assignor for DA and requested to be assigned to DA games. I was supposed to be observed at a tournament in order to get whistles for DA, but that tournament got canceled and I have had to settle for lines.

Up to this point, I have done about 10 DA games on the line and have had the opportunity to work with several State referees. One game as AR1, the center had to toss two coaches and issue 6 yellow cards. Several days after the game, I was able to call her and have a nice conversation about managing coaches and players.

Additionally, I am working a high-level tournament over Memorial Day Weekend and have been assigned the U14 Boys final.

Finally, come June, I will be heading to Delaware to referee the in the ODP Girls Regional Tournament!

Sorry if I sound like I am tooting my own horn. I am just very excited to be getting these opportunities and sharing them with everyone.

Doug the Ref, voiceoflg, MJ91 and 9 others repped this.