Best starting XI for the 2018 World Cup in Russia?

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by #Vela, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Gio had a super sub opportunity against Portugal and was completely invisible. We started losing possession, and the rhythm we built with Vela down the right side was gone.

Neymadres, LGRod, Lukato and 1 other person repped this.
  2. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    The last game when Gio played, he played with a lot more tempo and was motivated. If he plays like that (and more), I'm open to give him another chance. It was a noticeable difference than his usual invisible game. Almost night and day.

3. #Vela

#Vela Member+

Jun 25, 2015
    so now that we have our group, any changes to the starting XI?

4. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    We need a holding mid.

5. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    A couple of guys need to be tried there and first on that list should be Edson Alvarez.

6. OneJillion$$$

OneJillion$$$ Member+

Jun 19, 2015
    4-3-3

----------------Ochoa----------------
    Layun------Araujo----Reyes-----Moreno
    ------------------Alvarez----------------
    ------HH----------Guardado--------
    --Tecatito------------------------Lozano--
    ----------------CH14/Jimenez----------

LGRod, Special_talent23 and DankYummy repped this.
  7. #Vela

#Vela Member+

Jun 25, 2015
    Will Osorio start Lozano over Vela?

I honestly hope we see Lozano and Tecatito in the wings every single game. Throw in Vela as a sub and/or when we need to attack.

------------Vela------------
    Chucky---------Tecatito
    --------Cheech------------

Chico Facil and DankYummy repped this.
  8. Special_talent23

Real Sociedad
    Mexico
    Mar 26, 2017
    Me gusta esta alineación, si bien Moreno no va a subir casi nada para apoyar a Lozano, Hector tiene muy buena técnica para salir jugando y puede tirarle pelotas al espacio a Lozano como lo hizo en el amistoso ante Bélgica.

Un problema que veo es que Edson en el América juega de central, y si, lo hace bien como 5 pero llegaría al mundial con muy poca experiencia internacional y también poca experiencia jugando la posición de centrocampista.

9. DaTruth

DaTruth Member+

Jul 15, 2007
    IE, Cali
    The guys on ESPN were pointed out for a few seconds that Osorio should try Jona, since he did it early in his career in Barfa and Villareal.

Special_talent23 repped this.
  10. Blue_Demon

Blue_Demon Member+

Aug 20, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club León
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    ¿Y Carlos Salcedo no tendría lugar en la alineación? Al menos contra Alemania. Como titular en un equipo de la Bundesliga tal vez esa experiencia de algo sirva en la defensa.

11. Chico Facil

Chico Facil Member+

Nov 8, 2014
    Club:
    Fløya IF Tromsø
    There's still time for Fabian to regain his form. He's scheduled to return after the Bundesliga's winter break.

12. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    I actually think we have pretty good depth at this position. It is the matter of who can play this role the best.

I believe Jonathan Gonzalez plays the defensive midfielder role the best out of the available pool.

If for some reason, JG rejects Mexico, I see Edson Alvarez fulfilling this role.

Omar Govea is a possible option but he lacks NT experience so far.

HH, Guardado and Jonathan dos Santos can be slotted at the defensive midfield role if needed be.

Out of this lot, Guardado has shown he is able to hold down the defensive midfield role with the most success.

My XI for the WC against Germany:

Osorio's 4-3-3 (with holding mid: Edson Alvarez)

---------------------------Ochoa (GK)
    Salcedo (RB)--Moreno (CB)--Araujo (CB)--Layun (LB)
    ----------------------------Alvarez (DM)
    ------------Herrera (CM)----------Guardado (CM)
    Lozano (RW/RF)----------------------------Corona (LW/LF)
    --------------------------Hernandez (ST)

Athazagoraphobia, LGRod and LaMascara repped this.
  13. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Even if Gonzalez goes with Mexico (unlikely), I still see Alvarez as a better DM. He's more physical and tall enough to help us on set pieces. Not to mention that he's already played well as a DM on the international level.

Gonzalez being run-over by Tigres in that last game gave me second thoughts about how effective a DM he'll be internationally.

LGRod, beat junky and LaMascara repped this.
  14. EL PAPICHULO BAMF

Barcelona
    Mexico
    Jun 14, 2017
    Switch Moreno to LCB, and Araujo to RCB, and that will be a likely lineup.

15. EL PAPICHULO BAMF

Barcelona
    Mexico
    Jun 14, 2017
    As discussed in my other thread, my preferred lineup:

-----------------Ochoa---------------------
    Salcedo---Reyes---Araujo---Moreno
    ----------------Alvarez---------------------
    ------Herrera----------Guardado-------
    Corona----------Vela---------------------
    -----------------------------Lozano--------

THE DM: Agree with TGO, I would love to see Guardado play as the sole pivote, and J. Dos Santos as an "interior." But it will not happen, because one of Osorio's rule is the DM needs to be tall (no gallitos, no burritos, you get it).

CH14: Starting with Hernandez is a liability, he has great movement off the ball, and pressures a lot--but he tends to destroy a lot of plays. I prefer to only play him when Mexico needs a hail-mary to tie/win a game.

CARLOS V
    is very technical and clinical. His game brings up the level of his team mates and he can play CF/False 9. Lozano and Corona will be a lot more dangerous with Vela in the field. Also, give him 2 chances, and he will score at least 1.

#Vela and LGRod repped this.
  16. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    Why are we going off by one game? If we use the same logic against Alvarez, his last game with America was a disaster. He self imploded with his play. He was getting consistently beat and ended with a red card — which gutted America.

We will never know how good Gonzalez can be at the NT level until we (or the nads) play him.

I agree with the notion that Alvarez has been good at the NT level but I think it is unfair to discredit Gonzalez just because he has shown a few lowlights against Tigres. For the most part, Gonzalez has been excellent for Monterrey at the role he has played.

17. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    Yeah. I missed that one. Osorio likes to put Moreno at LCB when possible.

18. beat junky

beat junky Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    CA
    No mames...based on what?

Half a season...No.

He's looks like a good prospect but I don't think he's done enough to earn a spot on the WC.

Let's not try and cap-tie him to keep him from the nads. If he wants to play for the US then so be it, but for now no.

19. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    Gonzalez is Monterrey's and Liga MX's best defensive midfielder this season. Last time I check, Liga MX is a good league and a team like Monterrey is no push over.

At 18, he starts and performs exceptionally. That is impressive.

He is already good now and has the potential to be better.

Why some of y'all try (not you specifically) to discredit Gonzalez? Because he is a nad? Guess what? He has the chance to make the one time switch and develop under Mexico. As long this exists, Gonzalez should be in Mexico's radar.

20. hausen

hausen Member+

Jun 18, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    worried about our striker situation leading up to the world cup..

21. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    The lack of minutes by our forwards is certainly a concern but if you look at the goals scored on the national team, they mostly come from the wingers and midfielders with the central defenders pitching in quite a bit.

Chico Facil, LaMascara and Neymadres repped this.
  22. blue4211

blue4211 Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think Alvarez can play either position as a DM or RB, but Reyes can' play RB that's why I see a back four of Alvarez-Araujo-Moreno-Layun. A midfield with three MF's Reyes as the DM and Guardado a little forward to the left and Herrera the same on the right. There will also be three attackers and I think this is really easy decision for the two wide players, it should be Chucky and Tecatito, although, Aquino has played well for the national team and he deserves a look as well. The tough one is who will be the Striker? Jimemez and Chicharito have their own attributes that should make them the starter. I think Osorio will go with Jimenez to give the team more height for corners and free kicks for tall teams like Germany and Sweden.

My preference would be to go with a 4-4-2. The same back four of Alvarez-Araujo-Moreno-Layun. Two CM's one would be Reyes, with either Guardado and Herrera. The RM would be Chucky and the LM Tecatito. With two forwards, Jimenez and Chicharito because they are more well rounded players that we give them credit for sometimes.

I know 4-3-3 is Osorio's favored formation, but is that the formation we should play to have our best players on the field? Also, should the team take the Dos Santos brothers and Carlos Vela due to their move to MLS? I would choose not to take any of the three because they're not going to have enough competition to stay sharp due to the long winter break and the level of competition.

LGRod repped this.
  23. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #48 LGRod, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    -------------Chich--------------
    Chucky----------------Corona
    Pizarro----------------Herrera--
    -------------Guardis-------------
    Layun---Reyes---Salcedo--Alvarez
    ---------Ochoa-------

subs:
    Jimenez
    Fabian
    Lainez
    Guti
    Govea
    Guzman (wouldn't be mad if it was J.Go tbh)
    Moreno
    Montes
    Chapo
    Alderete
    Cota
    Lajud

24. Richy_Rich

Richy_Rich Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    Long Beach State University
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    -------------Ochoa
    ---Salcedo---Reyes----Moreno

Jona--Herrera-Guardado--Layun

Corona----Hernández----Lozano

If somehow Jona finds his level I would play with this flexible formation alternating between 3-4-3 and 4-3-3

25. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Fixed

DankYummy repped this.