Best players of the noughties? ( 2000 - 2010 )

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by PuckVanHeel, Dec 24, 2016.

1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Not really a fan (not to say I hate him or his game either!) but from a combination of memories, being English and a regular PL watcher in terms of MOTD highlights and also a decent amount of full games, and grades available on DBS Calcio for example I'd suggest if you wanted to split things up then maybe 01/02 (as a young all-purpose midfielder verging at times on being an anchor midfielder although not outright DM because he always got involved and got forwards), 05/06 (box to box talisman) and 07/08 (excelling as an AM in support of newly-bought Torres).

If you wanted 3 consecutive seasons then I suppose inserting 06/07 in between the last two options above makes sense.

leadleader repped this.
  2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Maybe don't rule out 00/01, 03/04, (also good for England I think in qualifying but that can apply in 01/02 like in Munich too probably), 04/05 or 08/09 though:
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/14/steven-gerrard-liverpool-anfield-highlights
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2003/oct/11/minutebyminute.sport
    (I recalled I thought he played well on the left of the diamond/midfield - (whether it was really 4-1-2-1-2 or more like a normal 4-4-2 in some ways but with an AM and DM which would be the case in 2001 like the 5-1 vs Germany in Munich but he'd be the DM or we can say anchor) - in that one and the link below refers to that system too and him playing well albeit in a friendly)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/england/2974668.stm

DBS Calcio data:
    2014/15 Liverpool Premier League (EN) 29 6.39 MCC 5 6.87
    2013/14 Liverpool Premier League (EN) 34 6.92 MCC 2 7.57
    2012/13 Liverpool Premier League (EN) 36 6.24 INC 5 6.72
    2011/12 Liverpool Premier League (EN) 18 6.60 INC 0 7.02
    2010/11 Liverpool Premier League (EN) 21 6.62 INC 2 7.08
    2009/10 Liverpool Premier League (EN) 33 6.75 ACS 4 7.27
    2008/09 Liverpool Premier League (EN) 31 7.04 INC 1 7.72
    2007/08 Liverpool Premier League (EN) 33 6.84 INC 1 7.44
    2006/07 Liverpool Premier League (EN) 35 6.78 ACS 2 7.34
    2005/06 Liverpool Premier League (EN) 32 7.09 INC 1 7.75
    2004/05 Liverpool Premier League (EN) 30 6.70 INC 2 7.18
    2003/04 Liverpool Premier League (EN) 34 7.06 INC 1 7.60
    2002/03 Liverpool Premier League (EN) 33 6.56 INC 3 7.08
    2001/02 Liverpool Premier League (EN) 26 6.48 INC 2 7.05
    2000/01 Liverpool Premier League (EN) 30 6.48 ACD 3 7.00
    1999/00 Liverpool Premier League (EN) 27 6.41 INC 5 6.90
    1998/99 Liverpool Premier League (EN) 5 6.12 INC 0 6.47
    (After Premier League (EN) is his number of registered appearances in PL only and the average grade out of 10 he received from a combination/aggregation of a few English sources for those games)

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Talking of a diamond that wasn't so far from a 4-4-2 (or could interchange with it maybe) I think in 2000/01 and/or 2001/02 at club level he did play quite a bit from the right of such a system I should add. But Liverpool also played somewhat of a magic square (with wider AM's maybe and more traditional strikers) in which he'd be at the base alongside Hamann with Smicer and Berger the AM's for example at times.

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    2008-09 is part of it surely. The Actim and Opta index also supports this.

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Maybe. I think in 07/08 I just noticed his new role and was impressed at certain moments as much as ever (in that maybe I'd even call that his peak form/role potentially even though he seems stereotypically a box to box player, and his ratings for 05/06 which he ended with a famous Cup Final goal too stand out).

Plus 05/06 and 08/09 (when IMHO Liverpool might have been better than a year earlier as hinted at by their league placing, but not him or Torres in terms of capabilities at least - though maybe ratings/stats can point at better regularity or something over the whole season) are not within 3 seasons for a consecutive years suggestion for leadleader, and 05/06 being included would give better variety.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  6. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks for the info. As for the 3 seasons, it could be any 3 seasons - I'd just like to watch some of his games from when he was in his prime, as this thread has triggered my curiosity.

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    If you're not bothered about seeing variety/progression from being a young player (when in some ways he was equivalent to or not far off his peak form too perhaps - being a young England international etc) then as Puck suggests 08/09 being added to 05/06 and 07/08 could be about as good a bet as anything (pending other views, maybe from his fans or Liverpool fans indeed). Then you could find the best of 07/08 and 08/09, or get a general impression of both seasons, while also having 05/06 in the pre-Torres days (obviously sometimes he did play more as an AM by then though too - after all Benitez pushed him forwards in the second half of the 2005 CL Final too).

8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Since PDG wondered in this thread about the veteran Baggio vs the veteran Bergkamp (8 goals and 14 direct assists in 29 league games at the age of 35/36) and their respective strengths, maybe it is a good idea to list the best veteran player per decade. Since also this dynamic has changed over time, as is the case in every sport (in golf it has undeniably become harder to be good as a veteran).

Before going more detailed (e.g. 1985 - 1995, 1990 - 2000) here some rough sketches:

1960s: Puskas? Yashin?
    1970s: ? Alan Ball, Martin Peters, Zoff.
    1980s: Cruijff? Zoff? Morten Olsen?
    1990s: Milla? Bergomi?
    2000s: this has to be Maldini. Giggs, Baggio and Bergkamp also very good. Gianfranco Zola in Serie A.
    2010s: Ibrahimovic? Totti also good.

Maybe @PDG1978 or @comme knows a better thread for this? Ideally I'd like to go more detailed so 1975 - 1985 (which might go to Zoff) and 1980 - 1990 (which might go to Shilton). Then also an outfield player if the #1 pick is a goalkeeper (e.g. Olsen).

9. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    You'd be welcome to use my thread about Best Ever Veteran Player/s if you like and there isn't somewhere better.

I wonder whether 5 year periods with no overlap might even work best for this? eg 1951-1955 (Matthews?), 1956-1960 (Liedholm?) and 1981-1985 (Cruyff?), 1986-1990 (MIlla?)....
    (Due to short length of time a player is a normally a veteran if at all, and for a good mix of veteran longevity with veteran peak while also hopefully having a suitable period available for every candidate.....perhaps being lenient on some players if they didn't fit a full 5 years and arguably crossed over into another period a bit?).

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  10. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Thanks. Matthaus is also a good one for 1990s.

I will use that thread.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    for those of us who came way after, how good/great was Van Basten at his peak? Like is he comparable to say a Suarez or Ibra or Lewandowski of today?

also someone mentioned Totti. how highly valued was he a decade or ago at his peak?

12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I'm not neutral but I'd say that at his peak (which is probably 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989) he was probably a class above Ibra, Lewandowski or Suarez.

Very difficult to compare very different eras of course, and assess 'technique' in an absolute or relative sense. But from my point of view he's more around CR7 his class (in the eyes of PDG1978 above, in the eyes of others slightly below) than in Ibra territory. Even more so with the qualifier 'at his peak'.

That being said, Lewandowski's value for a team (wins added) might be up there with the other multiple Ballon d'Or winners (except Keegan, Rummenigge).

The interesting question is here - to me - if whether Ibra, Lewandowski or Suarez would've won a Ballon d'Or with LM10/CR7 taken out of the equation. Suarez maybe (others would say he's good because he plays alongside Messi, Neymar) but Ibra or Lewandowski would be more difficult. Apart from the observation that the awards have been dominated by Serie A and later on La Liga since the 1980s (not always matching the team results or so).

Totti is a very good fit for this period (2000 - 2010) and some good comments have been made on this thread about him; also in relation to Pirlo for example. Two of the mentioned difficulties are: 1) at his peak Serie A was the 3rd or 4th best league in Europe, 2) modest individual success on the international stage with equally modest AS Roma or the national team (thanks to injuries, euro 2000 aside). There are also big plus sides like his 2000-01 league title with Roma, where he was maybe - maybe not - their best player.

13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Totti has always been one whose value is a subject of debate, similar to Ibra. Personally I think he was a fantastic player but there have always been doubts around him, particularly in England, for many of the reasons Puck identified.

Van Basten I would say was like Lewandowski but a bit better (I say a bit because the difference between the elite level players is always small).

14. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I did try to have a think about which modern players could be used to describe him but wasn't satisfied with any combination really (eg Klose + Hazard or something).

15. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Ibrahimovic has divided opinions here since his Ajax days. This started around the time when JC14 as a pundit famously said "he has a very good technique for a bad player and a bad technique for a good player". He remained quite reserved throughout, and in return Ibra is not mild in his autobiography.

Totti has some big fans among pundits (ex-players) and journalists alike. There are two prominent journalists in particular who have been covering Serie A, and/or lived there, since the 'Big Three' played there. Those are a big fan of him and think perspective is lost when Raul Gonzalez - who is nine months younger - is seen as a great player and he isn't.

JC14 was also positive about him and although not everyone is immediately convinced in that instance, that does help to sway perception in some circles. Seems that Totti himself has returned the compliment:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=totti+cruyff

Interesting to see old BBC DVDs by the way - at the end of the evening he has 'primed' Alan Hansen to talk along similar lines and with similar 'glasses' so to speak. Very comical to see.

Example of 1 minute 19 seconds.

LouisianaViking07/09 and comme repped this.
  16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I remember hearing Graeme Souness once say he had never seen Totti have a good game. Which made me wonder how much he could possibly have seen of him.

17. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It got me thinking about which players - of this era - there was/is some doubt or divided opinions.

I'd say:

Cannavaro
    Puyol
    Eto'o
    Gerrard
    Lampard
    Pirlo
    Casillas
    John Terry

From this list I compiled:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/be...ghties-2000-2010.2037761/page-2#post-34972474

From PDG his list Riquelme can be added as a divisive player (I thought Riquelme might fit best into 1995 - 2005 but that's somewhat debatable). He'd be right among the very top of the heap.

Ofc this is with some 'doubts about the doubts' but something like that I think. Maybe Seedorf, Ballack and David Villa as well, but in the end I don't think so.

In terms of veteran players from this period, the big one is 'mister lazy' and 'I am tired' Romario.

Not easy to indicate and give a complete list.

What are other (commonly) expressed considerations in England with regards to Totti?

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Yeah definitely Gerrard, Lampard and Terry come to mine as stars of the 2000's. And Rooney as well as the others seem to continue their top form for a year or 2 into the 2010's.

19. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Maybe this something of interest for you too:
    http://econ.sciences-po.fr/sites/default/files/file/jbvilain.pdf

Slight warning: it requires some proper reading and the clubs players played for might have an effect. Also something as injuries and frequent returning from injuries.

There are some interesting and relevant bits hidden in the text that are not immediately apparent from the table.

20. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #320 leadleader, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Totti is a difficult one, my main argument against him is his unimpressive career with a world class Italian national team. I've watched all his games at World Cup 2002 (four games) and Euro 2004 (one game), and I just see him underperforming in tournaments that he SHOULD have dominated to some degree. With Roma there's the legitimate excuse that Roma can't consistently compete against teams that are worth 2-3 Romas, but with the Italian national team that excuse more or less evaporates, and Totti is unimpressive in that important area. Overall, I think Totti was underrated at club level, but overrated at NT level.

Furthermore, I think Totti was valued in the same range as Ibrahimovic, that is, the unofficial 3rd or 4th best player in the world, but only for 2-3 years.

21. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Well he's the classic type of player that English fans and pundits typically love or hate. "A luxury player"

He's not helped by the fact that he was superb in Serie A at a time when it had just lost it's position as the unquestioned number 1 league in the world. Also Roma have never done anything in the Champions League and most memorably got battered 7-1 by United. And he wasn't at his best in 2006 when Italy won the World Cup.

So no doubt in my mind that he is one of the greatest of the decade but he is a player who divides opinion.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  22. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yeah. Above document shows him 43th while he was aged 31 - 38 (almost 39) in that measured period.

Not claiming it is the be all, end all but it is kind of indicative.

23. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    This is a decent impression;

This doesn't include the dribble from the halfway line past three men vs Finland or the very good dribble against Inter where he ended up crossing (successfully) at the right-sided edge of the penalty area.

This makes me wondering who was the greatest striker of 2000 - 2010. Eto'o in pole position I think.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/best-players-of-the-noughties-2000-2010.2037761/#post-34967777

PDG1978 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #324 PuckVanHeel, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
    The other thread made me think I might cite the Ballon d'Or write ups of 1988, 1989 and 1992 as well.

It indeed shows a template that is somewhat comparable to Lewandowski but very difficult to compare very difficult eras. Even in case of teams who had arguably many of the best players in the world in their own position - game dynamics and other aspects can change.

And which threatened the record of Michel Platini, established in 1984, with the incredible score of 128 points out of 130 possible. With 129 points on 135, the Dutch striker of Milan was not far from marking with an orange stone a success which took the form of a triumph.

Striker

The triumph of Marco van Basten in the election of the 1988 European Ballon d'Or is the crowning achievement of a champion faithful to his nature and his conviction of being what he is.

This is an important event, as it discards the many creators or pseudo-creators buried 40 meters deep, to privilege the aristocracy of the game of football: the scorer, the man of all risks subject to the vagaries of the coming of the ball, frustrating tactical patterns, unavoidable injuries given the aggressiveness of the defenders and the psychological weaknesses of the referees.

Van Basten is currently the survivor of an ancient team in the process of disappearing from the earth. And yet, at the same time, the quasi-ideal "product" adapted to a certain form of consumption by the public. Because it combines technical virtuosity, psychological impermeability, gushing speed, performance, athletic resistance, body play, tactical sense (masking intentions), head play. You can not ask Van Basten anything more because he has everything.

What is interesting to note in the case of Van Basten, and which must be stressed relentlessly, is that at the beginning of his trajectory was technique, at the same time as the sense of purpose, one [male form] or one [female form] carrying the other. All those who have known Van Basten, the minors or cadets [in France] remember a superb ball handler, already adapted to all situations in front of the opponent's cage, lively, precise, clever, never missing the point of the gesture. Then came the rest, including the "game of body", in a Dutch football that is not repugnant to contact. Van Basten has not left anything in the shadow of the center-forward play. He is both a classic striker, an inspired striker and an inventive striker.

Van Basten is neither better nor worse than Eusebio or Gerd Müller who preceded him to the prize list. He is marvelously adapted to the football of his time and it revalorizes, in our time of scarcity of goals, the offensive game of panache and audacity, as symbolized by its luminous takeover against the USSR in the final of the Championship of Europe 1988.

*) As some will know, some languages know a male form and feminine form of a word.

Of evil skill
    One year after the triumph of the Orange of Rinus Michels, it is another European champion (clubs, that one) who influenced the choice of the European journalists consulted by France Football. It is clear that in the trio of Van Basten-Baresi-Rijkaard, it was AC Milan who was awarded and honored. And, with him, was devoted a team whose original organization and tactical animation, entrepreneurship promote the total development of his individual talents.

The reverse is also true. Van Basten, Baresi and Rijkaard: it will be noted that the three men each played a key role in each of the three lines of the team.

Marco van Basten was once again the decisive striker in the important matches (Red Star Belgrade, Real Madrid, Steaua Bucharest), but it was not only that. The Dutchman must often bear, let us not forget, an ungrateful role. Alone at the forefront of the fight, as long as the team has not reconverted to the offensive to come to support it, it is the target of a severe, double and redouble marking, which it controls thanks to a suppleness and an agility that is amazing for a player of his height and size.

His remarkable technical skill is manifested in unbalanced ball catches, but also in calm and nervous dribbling, and an equally astounding gesture of action for a 1.87m striker allows him to be placed alone or in the most delicate situations. His game of head and his great composure (similarly effective for the transformation of penalties) are his other assets. It will not fail to emphasize that the frequent absence of his teammate Gullit has in no way lessened the performance of this racy, elegant center, which is not only a profitable striker but also its own goal creator.

https://www.francefootball.fr/news/1989-marco-van-basten/423442

And one, and two, and three !
    1992 will not have been profitable for the first three of the 1991 Golden Ball. The serious injury of Lothar Matthäus, the early retirement of Gary Lineker added to the painful situation experienced by the former Yugoslavs drew a completely new landscape at the top of the best European players. Among the top ten of the previous year, only Jean-Pierre Papin was in the standings, with only two points, it is true. The struggle between Van Basten and Stoichkov was extremely tough for the trophy and in this Milan-Barcelona match, the Dutchman was once again the winner for the third time in history (1988, 1989 and 1992). The one who found Johan Cruyff and Michel Platini at the top of the charts had been cited in first place by eleven jurors, against Bulgarian striker, who was "victim" of a very divided vote, which also placed Hässler (three), Schmeichel (two), Brian Laudrup, Bergkamp and Ronald Koeman (one) in pole position. Finally, Denmark, winner of the Euro, found the reward of its coronation with the presence of seven of its champions in the ranking of the twenty-two best players of the year.

Cruyff's son
    Marco van Basten has not changed so much in a year. At the most, he keeps in the court the bitter memory of a Euro, a chance rather missed by him as by his orange company. It is true that in Sweden the 1992 Ballon d'Or did not fully live up to its value and reputation, re-directing the spotlight to his young compatriot (and perhaps successor) Bergkamp, author of three goals. While Marco van Basten, remained silent in front of the opponent's goal, even went so far as to miss the penalty shootout that eliminated the Netherlands in the semi-finals against Denmark.

Fortunately, the "Flying Dutchman" had done very well by overflying his AC Milan to an Italian Championship (finishing unbeaten with eight points ahead of Juventus), Marco taking his share of the cake by removing the king's crown from the scorers with no less than 25 goals.

Van Basten continues to wreak havoc this season. In the Champions League, he realized a new feat against Göteborg by achieving four goals, all more different than the others. One must see in it the extent of his register and the talent of an attacker who combines all the physical, technical and tactical qualities. Large, slender, elegant, it could be a little slowed down and braked by this slender morphology, in his gestures, in his sprints, his starts.

And yet, his acceleration or crochet vivacity, his relaxation, his speed racing are those of a short-legged. This allows him to try and succeed in the dribbling, the most varied, the most unexpected and the most effective strikes of the foot and head. But it is also and above all by his lucidity in the game, by his art to alternate wisely the individual feat (of the striker) and the collective action (of the passer) that he creates miracles. Van Basten, with his high head on a long, straight bust, has a peripheral vision of the terrain, like a navy periscope, which makes him an unrivaled playmaker to make himself useful by his movements without a ball or his passes to a partner. In addition, he also knows how to bend to defensive contingencies when necessary, as he demonstrated on several occasions, during the Euro where he was even seen tackling his own penalty area. Elegance, intelligence, collective spirit, efficiency: is not that the perfect robot?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwL4ev1QI1K6Q3dMc0V1MDdheHc/view

) France Football themselves did give MvB the most 'stars' of all Dutch players during euro 1992, thus rating him the highest.

A while ago I made this compilation, where he was playing a competitive match against FC Barcelona.

PDG1978 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

I didn't realize he was runner-up 8 times. That brings a necessary perspective.