Best Players of 2016/17 seasons so far.....

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by AD78, Feb 24, 2017.

1. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Glad someone out pointed out the ref in the Barcelona vs PSG game, I watched it on BT Sport and Lineker, Ferdinand, Gerrard and Owen were eulogising about Barca but ignored the fact that the second penalty from Suarez which gave them the lifeline to get through was a horrendous dive. Suarez was booked for similar dive just before.

I like Barca and would be happy if they won the CL this season (although they may struggle if they continue to defend like that) but felt extremely sorry for PSG who had been hard done by, there are a lot of anti Real Madrid pro Barca fans on this forum who would be going insane had Madrid got those sort of decisions.

Fair play to Neymar though, fantastic game the free kick was amazing and also the cut in and left foot through ball for sixth was special.

2. DazerII

DazerII Member

May 27, 2011
    The ref along with his supporting cast might have been terrible but any team that fails to defend 4-0 score line doesn't deserve to progress imo. I have never witnessed such pathetic performance from elite players who are paid millions to perform their duties. PSG was probably decent 5 minutes and horrible for another 90 minutes. I swear I've never seen such disorganized performance from elite CL team. When one takes into account that Barca didn't really play that well its a true reflection of how poor PSG was.

Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  3. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes, I tend to agree. That is a good summary.

4. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
  5. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Anyone else feel this season has less clear stand out performers than an average season?

I would struggle to say who has been the top performer, it is very unclear.

I may be lean to Hazard in top 3 who has been excellent (bar Sunday vs United) but the lack of Champions league football will probaly stop him getting any big awards, unless he goes to Real for a world record fee and starts well.

I would say Messi has probably been number one in terms of performances, just, but has had a couple of poor games in big games this season (PSG & Juve away) and it looks unlikely Barca will win CL or La Liga, not that I think that should detract his chances of the big awards but it most likely will, but given his name may not if no other standard big players. I feel Neymar has been good but not enough to win any big awards and as someon pointed out on another thread, has missed a lto of chances in La Liga and has poor goal scoring record there.

Re Ronaldo, surely he can't win any awards again this year, statistically in terms of goals he is well down on the previous 6 seasons and his performances have been very mixed, not sure how true rumours of other players calling for him to be dropped in certain games but that speaks volumes in my book. Kroos has been very solid in my view and Reals' top performer this season without grabbing headlines, I am also a big fan of Benzema.

Zlatan has been very very good for United, but not amazing, for doing what he he has done at 35 in a very competitive league though is pretty good, he will likely end the season with 30 plus goals in all competitiosn and at least one piece of silverware.

Kante has had a huge influence for Chelsea but top ten absolute max. Kane and Lukaku good in terms of goals but a long way off from challenging.

I feel that unless Bayern turn it round tonight, it will be another disappointing season where they limp out of the CL and walk the league again. Lewandowski has had a solid season in terms of goals and missed the first leg of CL versus Real but needs a big game tonight. Also Alcantara's influence has been less as the season has gone on.

On to Italy, Juve could get win the CL which would most likely give them the treble, a few big games for Dybala would throw him into the mix, Higuan too but we all know his big game performances, Buffon also if he has some big moments, liek the save from Iniesta in CL last week.

Dzeko and Belotti have been very good in Serie A but not enough to warrant a challenge, maybe top 20.

Cavani has had hs best season by a long way for PSG and is a decent shout for top ten.

The other interesting team is Monaco and Mbappe, they could surprise everyone in the CL and looks like they wil reach the semis at minimum, who knows after that.

ko242 repped this.
  6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I think there have been a lot of very good performers but less of the absolute stellar individuals.

Messi has been the best yet again, despite some big games where he has underwhelmed. Without him a I have no idea where Barcelona would be.

Dele Alli has been tremendous in recent weeks. His form in 2017 has been sensational and a huge factor behind Spurs continuing brilliance, even despite the absences of Kane, Rose etc.

AD78 repped this.
  7. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To be fair, Messi created 2 clear-cut chances vs. Juventus, so defining his performance as 'poor' is harsh in my opinion. For example, if Iniesta and Suarez score their chances, Messi comes out with 2 assists, and a 'good' performance. Of course, Messi obviously was not great, but I think it's harsh to define his performance as 'poor' when he created 2 clear-cut chances against a defensively solid team.

As for the best player of 2016/17 - Messi and Hazard are the only high profile attacking players that have been great on a consistent basis, from beginning to end. Neymar and Ronaldo have been too inconsistent. Suarez has probably been more consistent than Neymar, but certainly not as consistent as Messi and Hazard.

ko242 and AD78 repped this.
  8. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fair point re Juve game, maybe the PSG one is sticking in my head more. He was still below his average though.

If Juve go far in CL there will be another big Italian push for Buffon. Agree re Neymar, although his highs this season have been a lot higher than Ronaldo's high this season in my view.

leadleader repped this.
  9. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I forgot to mention that Messi missed 2 months, which is significant enough to take into account. Overall, this season is very difficult to tell, not only when compared to the previous 5-8 seasons, but also when compared to any season probably. But nevertheless, in terms of level of play and consistency, I think that Messi and Hazard were the 2 best players of 2016/17. Of course, one big negative for Messi, is that Messi played big games vs. Real Madrid, vs. PSG, vs. Juventus - and Messi disappointed in each one of them.

Was Hazard good against the better EPL teams this season? He was almost invisible vs. Manchester United the other day, but what about the other big games in the league?

ko242 repped this.
  10. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Surely those throughballs (or lack thereof) are also a function of the team mates. Both when it is going well and when it is going wrong (i.e. too few good passes, waiting too long resulting in turnovers etc.). Many of those team mates are not at a reasonable level.

This was imho also proven - or to an extent to be fair - in the two months Messi was injured and duties got passes over to Iniesta and Neymar.

Simply put: neither Suarez or Iniesta are as good as they were. Suarez his energy and wrestling (on display with the 2nd throughball) has declined a bit.

Although the pass to Iniesta could be seen from miles distance - running past Dani Alves there - this was one that only a handful/dozen at the highest level can do.

Messi himself in his younger years was often at the receiving end.

I'd say this was for a few reasons actually a (significantly) better and more dangerous performance as, say, against Real Madrid or both PSG matches.

Neymar is a hot or cold player. He has had a number of games where he had 10 completed dribbles or more (incl. one game in those two months without Messi). As if his physical and mental state varies a lot. From incredibly sharp to a bit sluggish and slow in his reactions.

11. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    #36 ko242, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Hazard played well against Man City. if my memory serves me well, he didn't play well either game against tottenham (he has a chance to redeem himself against tottenham in the FA cup semifinal this staurday). however, he played excellent in the 2 previous games against manchester united. he didn't play well in one of the games against liverpool, i don't remember about the other one. he man handled Arsenal, if they (Arsenal) are still being considered a big team. he also played very well against Everton earlier in the season. leading up to the manchester united game, i believe hazard had 7 goals this season against the top 7 opponents so far.

AD78 and leadleader repped this.
  12. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yep, the Man City game and also Arsenal at home, Arsenal at that time were not in the position they are now.

ko242 repped this.
  13. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    If Neymar, Suarez, Iniesta and co are in form then I think they can turn it around. They're one or two classes better than Juventus if everyone shows up and reaches their own reasonable level.

14. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    they're one or two classes above juve based on what this season???
    if we look at barcelona for what they have been, they are of equal level as juve at best. i don't know if there is one period of time this season where barcelona could say that they were ever a class above juventus. and the fact that they are playing juve in their current form is unsettling. they have lost to malaga and deportivo within about the last month and they just barely beat real sociedad at home, in which they looked extremely poor.
    when you say barcelona are one or two classes above, you are really basing it off of what barcelona has done in previous years. even against PSG, they didn't look that great, bar the last 7 mimutes of the game

15. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    But issue for me is Barca's defence is shocking, this was shown again versus Real Sociedad at the weekend, whereas this is Juves strongest point. I can see Juve scoring at least once so Barca would need five which I cant see as Juve are no PSG.

16. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    1 or 2 classes above :ROFLMAO:
    Just love how underrated Juve is on this forum.

robnycus repped this.
  17. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Well in their own league they are unbeatable at home, won all games so far, but not so much away (with some of the top ranked opponents still to come). 64 goals scored in 32 games are more terrestrial figures compared to recent history.
    Meanwhile in the Champions League they aren't all-conquering at home; vs Sevilla, vs Lyon.

Let's also not forget that FC Barcelona's budget is literally twice as high as the one of Juventus (factor 2.07 to be precise). With that in mind I'm not really disrespectful nor do I underrate them.

18. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #43 leadleader, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Barcelona has ZERO chances in my opinion. I agree with Puck on the following: Barcelona is, by whatever the margin, a superior team. I disagree, however, that Barcelona is "one or two classes" above. In any case: Barcelona is terribly inconsistent as of late, it's very unlikely that Barcelona will score 3 goals and that Juventus will score zero goals - it's impossible in my opinion.

Mascherano has been a defensive liability at least for 2 consecutive seasons now, in my opinion. I am convinced that had Barcelona spent some money on a player like Mats Hummels, to then relegate Mascherano to a bench-role; Barcelona would not have had the shocking defensive collapses that have been a problem throughout this season. Mascherano is a likeable personality, but it's time to be realistic about the fact that he is a liability in this moment of his career: too short, too slow, and his concentration switches 'off' far too often.

19. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Juventus under Allegri has usually started of seasons poorly while peaking later on. If Juve were to face both Lyon and Sevilla right now we would very likely defeat them (which we have already). Anyways I don't really see how that's relevant as we could also say we beat Porto away who are historically much stronger at and have just rolled over Barca 3-0 on aggregate while rendering the greatest attack in history useless.

20. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    the greatest attack in history??? i don't know about that, wasn't it mentioned that barcelona lost to both inferior teams like deportivo and malaga in the last month. which they lost to malaga 2-0? again, people need to see where barcelona is now and let go of the perception that we have of them. had juventus kept barcelona to zero goals in 2015, when they won the treble, then maybe we can talk about the greatest attack in history. let's see how well juventus does against a team like real madrid.
    by the way, from the looks of it, it does look like juventus is just about asstrong as any other team in the champions league, so far. so i wouldn't be surprised if they won it all

21. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    you are spot on with mascherano and that's something i noticed very early in the season.
    but i wish mascherano was the only problem. their defense in general is not great. whether it's because of playing 3 at the back with no proper wing back, i don't know (at times they played 3-3-1-3, with messi behind the forwards), lack of structure, etc. it needs to be fixed (perhaps you have a better theory)
    and just look at their midfield. with an ageing iniesta and xavi long gone, it will be extremely difficult to find players who can match the expectations. although rakitic is a pretty good midfielder overall, he has no where near the attacking capabilities as xavi and iniesta that we have grown accustomed to at barcelona. then you have gomez (ohh brother).the midfield and defense at barcelona has been very weak (by their expected standards), and if neymar or messi is unavailable, who do they have filling those positions.
    this is the first time where i am actually worried over the level of players that barcelona have.

leadleader repped this.
  22. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    MSN in the eyes of most football fans is the greatest attack in football history. Regardless of whether or not Barca is doing poorly (by their own standards in the past decade) that comes down to their horrible defense and having an aging midfield. I mean up til now most on this forum have considered Messi the best player of the season while keeping Suarez and especially Neymar close to him.

If were going to bring up Barca losing 2-0 against Malaga that can easily be countered with them beating the likes of Sevilla 3-0 and PSG 6-1 within the last 2 months.

ko242 repped this.
  23. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Juventus deserves a lot of credit regardless of how inconsistent Barcelona has been this season. Credit where it's due.

24. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Obviously to make a top 20 list you're going to list players almost exclusively from Real, Barça, Chelsea, PSG, Juve ... Here's a couple of players who I haven't seen mentioned who deserve a little recognition ... Jan Oblak - ATLETICO MADRID, Bernardo Silva - MONACO, Anthony Modeste - FC KÖLN, Romelu Lukaku - EVERTON

25. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    So some awards are starting to come out now.

The PFA awards are always done too soon (I think voting starts in February) but the nominations are:

Player of the Year: Hazard, Ibrahimovic, Kane, Kante, Lukaku, Sanchez

Young Player: Alli, Kane, Keane, Lukaku, Pickford, Sane

Team of the Year:

--------------De Gea

Walker -- Luiz -- Cahill -- Rose

-Hazard -- Alli -- Kante -- Mane

-----------Kane --- Lukaku