Best Penalty Taker- Past or Present

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Cassano, Dec 10, 2004.

1. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    any stat for Nolberto Solano?

I cant recall him missing

2. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Apparently 6 goals from 7 attempts. It doesn't specify which one he missed.

3. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    ok cool

I thought he took more, but I guess he was on the same team with Shearer for most of his EPL life

4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Well At least I had something *(WC data) to BACK UP my opinion (and I am quite sure that millions out there would agree with me) ! Again, I listed the names and asked people to chip in with helps, NOT to NITPICK on something NO ONE could answer.

In fact you made this thread OUT of TOPIC!
    So your opinion is OK, and mine is in the air! In fact let me tall you , you're the FIRST to put DI Stefano as best playmaker (while most put either Pele, Maradona or even Cruijff there) OK?

For example": Almanac could claim this guy from France is the best juggling balls (longest time) but then someone could say I saw another kid in Brazil did better - but he was not being "REGISTERED" to almanac- that's all.

Or before Galileo time, the Earth is SQUARE as FACT!

So what FACT is FACT or just an opinion based on something at that time???

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I thought I did say that before

[​IMG] 02 - GEORGE BEST ( 283 gols - 10 pênaltis )

6. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    This site is very good, but the specific statistics are not definitive. Not a criticism, just a 'warning'. If I'm not mistaken, there PKs of Pelé that are not on site.

7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Well I realized that the data on this site is not 100% but most likely >90% that good for me (and everyone) as INFO.

We're not bargaining about 61 or 60 PKs career of Ronaldo nor 111 or 109 of Maradona's ...

8. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    Certainly. :thumbsup:

9. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just out of curiosity, why do people in english call it "La Liga"... its called Liga.... if you use it in a sentence, you don't capitalize the "la" Normally, you just say something like "messi ha hecho 19 goles en Liga" not "La Liga"

Just one of my pet peaves. I've never understood it. Just like why, Cristiano Ronaldo is known as Cristiano.... Yet english speakers call him Ronaldo.

Its just strange to me.

10. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Yeah, that seems really low. I thought he had at least 10.

And he never missed with Peru and only recently did I see a video of him miss one while with Cristal. Overall, he's probably something like 22 for 25.

11. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No, it doesn't answer my question. What is your source for this information? Wiki? LOL:D

12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
  13. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So James, are you still saying that Maradona scored 100+ penalties from 300+ goals?

14. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    did you believe Maradona only scored 300+goals?
    [​IMG] 17 - MARADONA ( 459 gols - 109 pênaltis ) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Remember he was always the MAIN PK taker for every team he played from Argentina league, NT to Liga, SerieA ...

15. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Umm, why are you counting friendlies and exhibition matches? How many competitive penalty goals he has?

16. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    This is about PK scoring, not about how great a player was (in official or competitive games) OK?

17. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oh ok. :confused:

18. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Can we count these 2/4 against 90% keeper for Messi?

19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The best penalty taker in Argentine football history:

[​IMG]
    Oreste Corbatta

Corbatta was a highly regarded right winger who played most of his career for Racing Club and Boca Juniors, and scored 68 of 72 official penalties for a 94.4 percentage. Racing fans used to yell "gooool" whenever a penalty was called in their favor, because they knew Corbatta wouldn't miss it.

There is a story that when Corbatta and legendary goalkeeper Amadeo Carrizo were playing for Argentina, Carrizo - a famous penalty stopper - made Corbatta a bet that if he took 50 penalties, Carrizo would be able to stop at least 10. They agreed to put it to the test after practice in front of the whole squad and all the coaches. With all of them as witnesses, Carrizo was unable to touch the ball even once. Corbatta scored 49 times, and one hit the post.

lanman repped this.
  20. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    That's a good info, however 94% was not among the very best - I think there are many who had >98% with at least 50goals scored career - namely Ronaldo, Batistuta ...

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He's regarded as the best in the Argentine league, at least by the old timers who remember. It's not just that he only missed four, but also the way he took them. It was said he almost always got the keepers to go the wrong way. And there were some good keepers at the time.

22. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I see. Thanks for clarification

23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, I guess saying Argentine Football doesn't necessarily mean the Argentine league, so I needed to clarify. And Batistuta of course was great with penalties, but he had a very short career in the Argentine league.

Another great old timer was Rafael Albretch, who played most of his career with San Lorenzo and only missed one penalty in his career. I'm not sure how many he took, but he used to always kick them softly and place them right next to the goalpost.

Of current players, Nestor Ortigoza -Argentine born but plays for Paraguay's national team- had a record for a while that he had never missed a penalty, but last year he finally had one stopped.

24. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Batistuta was just too efficient with his pk percentage/ Often he simply aimed at one corner and use d his power + precision to beat the GK - He rarely tried to "wrongfoot" the gk like Ronaldo/Maradona or or others

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He simply had one of the best if not the best shooting technique I've ever seen, and not just for penalties.