NSR: Best of TV Shows on DVD/BR, Netflix, etc. (The What to Watch Thread)

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Felixx219, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started a thread about TV shows worth watching via DVD but looked it up and it was 3 years old now and we had a Netflix one that was two years old as well. I thought they were useful

I have gotten to the point with Breaking Bad and Dexter over, I have very few shows I watch live anymore cause I decided some time ago I was just going to watch them when they were over with. I think Sons of Anarchy, Walking Dead, Shameless, House of Lies, and Nurse Jackie are the only shows I watch now that are still active and the last three are kinda eh. I also canceled cable so my entertainment is going to be through digital media and the web and I am looking for something to watch. I started rewatching BB and

Anyway, this thread is to list shows (preferrably that have ended their run or getting there) people should watch either through disc sets, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, or whatever.

My list to contribute:

Friday Night Lights - Netflix or use to be
    Six Feet Under - DVD/BR
    Breaking Bad - Netflix
    Dexter - DVD/BR
    LOST -Netflix
    Sons of Anarchy - Netflix - in 2nd to last season now
    Alias
    Boston Legal - Netflix
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Netflix
    Cheers - Netflix
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - just started 8th or 9th season
    The Sopranos - DVD/BR
    Deadwood - DVD/BR

You can tell by this list that I am into more grittier dramas rather than sitcoms. What should I watch next? What should everyone checkout?

2. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are just starting to watch Homicide: Life on the Street. It's a winner. Even if you watched first time round, like most smart folks.

3. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Just finished Firefly (and its post tv series movie, Serenity), and Freaks and Geeks, all on Netflix. Joining the old and long list of folks who are pissed about these 2 fantastic shows ending prematurely. An absolute tragedy, especially considering the garbage that has been successful.

4. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Check out:

Dramas

The Wire (this is an absolute must)
    Boardwalk Empire (on season 4 right now, still a ways to go)
    Band of Brothers
    The Shield
    Mad Men (going on season 7, I think its winding down within the next couple years?)

Comedies

Arrested Development
    Better off Ted
    Summer Heights High (the entire series is on youtube)
    Curb Your Enthusiasm

There are probably others but all those are a good start.

5. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    From over the pond I would definitely suggest the following two shows (if available in the States) -

Sherlock
    Whitechapel
    Top of the Lake
    Broadchurch has, for me anyway, been a little over-hyped in the praise lavished upon it. You'd think it had totally re-invented crime drama as we know it, although I have to say I did enjoy it. (just not to the level the press drooled over it)
    I actually preferred The Fall.

6. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so, except for Summer Heights, you don't mention where/what apps these are available through as laid out by Felixx... Cuz I want to watch Boardwalk Empire legally, and don't want to buy the DVDs... so advice like that would be productive for me...

7. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Sorry about that, I'll lay it out here:

I'm not sure of legal ways to view these programs which are not on Netflix without buying the DVD/BR, but if you find someone with a copy, or can get it used I would suggest all of them.

8. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

HBO does not have a streaming deal with anyone but I think they have their own which does no good unless you have it in the first place.

9. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I'm not advocating doing such a thing, but there are certain peer-to-peer sites that have illegal but non-tracked seasons of pretty much every show ever made available in HD. Its certainly the easy way to watch these, if you don't mind going that route. Many people end up downloading them to see if they like the series, then will go out and buy the DVDs or Blu-rays (or subscribe to HBO/Shotime) to support the shows they feel deserve their hard earned cash. Morally I don't see much wrong with that.