Best match of the last WC?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by MIGkiller, May 9, 2003.

1. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I also liked the way the Quaterfinal match between Turkey and Senegal ended. Ilhan Mansiz scored the winning goal in the 94th minute to advance Turkey to the Semifinals.

2. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    As a neutral the Spain-SK match was very entertaining. The refing was ridiculous, but it was also for Italy-SK. The whole part of the bracket with Ireland, SK, Spain, and Italy produced 3 amazing matches.
    SK/Portugal was incredible if you were a US fan.
    Urugay vs. Senegal and Brazil vs. CR were up there for pure excitement factor.
    I never thought Senegal/France was as exciting as disapointing from France, just a horrible performance.
    US/Portugal gets my semi-biased vote. The combination of shock and action in the game and the emotional rollercoaster from the 3-0 lead to the 3-2 score and the doubting the US could hold the lead it was an excellent game.

3. PaddyClaretman

Oct 21, 2003
    Club:
    Northampton Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Eng vs Argentina. Come on!! Truly great, inspired performance by us. We were dancing in the streets amogst all the beeping cars afterwards. Great experience. Whoever said that the Brazil game was the best they'd ever seen Eng play must be out of their minds. One flukey goal from Owen and that was it. We were appalling, rubbish, an absolute disgrace. Out players looked half-dead out there. I'd say one of the worst Eng performances in recent memory, including the Macedonia game.

4. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It may have been good for you but it was really boring, it was 2 hours that I should have been sleeping.

5. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I'll post my opinions as another person who actually attended some of the games in Korea....

The Costa Rica-Brazil game was incredibly fun....especially from the fifth row behind one of the goals....end to end action and goals galore.

The Spain-South Africa was also a great game to watch.

The US-Portugal game was a good, but not great game as far as quality, but since I'm a US fan, it was great to be there...

The US-Korea match was the most incredible thing I have ever experienced in person, even though the match itself was quite ordinary. It was like being Daniel walking into the lion's den.

A match which I did not attend in person, but watched on TV in Seoul, was the Italy-South Korea match, which was about as dramatic as they get.

6. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    The game was good but not as great as some pople said especially enlgish. FourFourtwo on the world cup issue had only two 5 stars game and one of those was England/Argentina game and that is too biased and untrue. I thought it was a normal game but failed to live up to the hype.And defintely not one of the top games of the WC.

7. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It all depends on where your heart is. I'd rank the US/Mexico game as one of the WC's best because of all the emotion and history behind it, but I know that an objective observer would hardly agree. Same with the England game for the English--no one can really make an objectively convincing claim that it was a great game (1-0 on a penalty goal? yawn.), but you can't blame the English for getting excited about it given all the lead-up and the history between the two teams.

8. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Eehh..no. I thought that the Mexico-Netherlands game was the best of France 98 but knew that nobody else would think that. FourFourTwo sells internationally and for them to give 5 stars to that game and tie it with the Bra/Cr game as the best game of the WC was biased and wrong and way off.

9. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That illustrates my point perfectly--your opinion of the "best" game of any tournament is dictated to a large degree by your loyalties for the team involved.

well, "biased" yes--they sell internationally but they're clearly coming from an english perspective that makes their designation of the arg/eng game unsurprising. "wrong and way off"? not even sure what that means--that a magazine is not supposed to allow its subjective preferences to influence its articles? i dont' agree with that--you're referring to an article that is obviously stating an opinion, and opinions are by their nature subjective.

10. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    chili. men does not urinate in a fan?

11. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Wise men don't piss into the wind." 'Cause, you know, then it all gets blown back on to you and whatnot.

It's the inscription from the entrance to Max Euweplein, in Amsterdam. Max Euwe is the only Dutch chess world champion; why this saying graces his monument I have never known.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~onnoz/amsterdam/*#*#*#*#-sapiens-non-urinat-in-ventum.jpg

12. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    page not found? :)

13. Koreacrazy

Koreacrazy New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Toronto Ontario
    Korea

Korea Vs Italy without a doubt. In the last few minutes of the game...I told my girl friend " Oh no...thats it, its over I think" Then Seol scored~ We were crying, and smashed a picture frame from us jumping out of our seats. LOL~

Thank you Corea~!!

14. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ireland vs Germany was a great game. Robbie Keane's late equaliser was probably my favorite moment of the tournmant.

Sengal and Sweeden was also a great game. Diouf was brilliant, and Senegal were so much fun to watch.

15. Pacifico

Pacifico New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    Houston Texas
    I agree! but only because it brought France to realize that they were not the best!.

The best game was Ireland Vs Germany, followed by Brazil Vs England.

Does any one know where could I buy a Video of the Brazil England Game?

All the best to you all!

16. Pacifico

Pacifico New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    Houston Texas
    I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU, KEANE WAS SUCH A FORCE, THE WHOLE TEAM MADE FOOTBALL LOVERS PROUD! IRELAND!

SENEGAL COULD HAVE GONE THE DISTANCE, THIS GAME VS SWEEDEN WAS SUPERV!

ALL THE BEST TO YOU Suss55!

17. Pacifico

Pacifico New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    Houston Texas

I would say that Ireland Germany, Ireland Spain, Brazil England, and WINNING THE CUP vs Germany were the best games.

Korea Turkey, Korea Italy were EMOTIONAL AND GREAT GAMES!

Could you help me find a video of the Brazil England game?

All the best!

18. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    Spain who were going to win the whole thing?
    That's what people have been saying for almost every World Cup and Euro tournament lol
    They've been favourites for almost every tournament they've gone into, and have won the Euro competition once and the Olympics once.
    They may be a great collection of stars but they haven't got the mentality of champions.

19. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    No, it went to symbolize all the massive upsets that would occur throughout the tournament. And yes, a lot of people got upset about it lol

20. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    Crying, moaning, complaining Italian alert :)

21. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    Oh so it's a silly goal and doesn't "really" count because the goalie was in the wrong position? Why not just discount it because the defenders didn't do their job and the shot got off at all?

22. Koreacrazy

Koreacrazy New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Toronto Ontario
    LOL~ No one likes to lose, always a reason to complain...I love Soccer....but the fans...such sucks~! LOL~

23. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

just my opinion, i even had $$$ on them winning the cup at 8 to 1 - i don't know many people who agreed with me but spain looked very solid and businesslike - i just had a feeling about them and it sucks that they were not given a proper semifinal with germany... no matter what delusional crap so. korea fans spout

24. DannyS

DannyS New Member

Nov 25, 2003
    It was an exciting match. But it was obvious that Spain was robbed. They played against S.Korea and the ref. Spain scored two legit goals that never went up on the score board. I guess that is some of the advanages of playing at home.

25. DannyS

DannyS New Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Re: Korea

Don't forget to thank the ref. I'm sorry to say but Italy and Spain played against 12 not 11 players. The ref was wearing the S.Korean jersey.