Best Line-up against Mexico

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by NBlue, Feb 1, 2007.

1. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the recent news that Gooch & DFB are in and Dolo and Convey are likely out (as noted here: http://njmg.typepad.com/sbi/americans_abroad/index.html and in other BS threads), it seems to me that the time has come to think about the best possible line-up Bradley can put out there against the Mexican "A" squad with the personnel we have available.

For me, as the match will essentially be an away match with the crowd probably 3-1 agains the US, I'd probably line-up as follows:

----------------Twellman------------------------------
    ---------------------------Donovan--------------------
    --------Beasley--------------------------Dempsey------
    Spector---------------Pablo---------------------Albright
    --------Boca---------Gooch-----------Conrad----------
    ---------------------Howard---------------------------

I doubt we'll line-up in the 3-5-2 as I've suggested but the need to get our best three defensive players on the pitch is paramount in my mind against the high powered Mexican "A" team. I suppose another option would be to do something along these lines:

------------Twellman--------------Wolff---------------
    ------------------------Donovan----------------------
    DFB-------------------------------------------Dempsey
    -------------------------Pablo-------------------------
    Boca---------Gooch--------------Conrad--------Spector
    ------------------------Howard------------------------

My concern is that this really opens up both of our wings to attack as we'll lack quickness on the defensive left and experience on the defensive right with less cover in the middle. Regardless, we need to ensure that we are able to stem the Mexican attack over the first 15 minutes of the game in order to use some type of counterattacking style to be succesfull a la Korea. With our current available players, I simply don't believe we'll be able to maintain possession for long stretches as we did in Dallas '03 or Columbus '05. I'm very concerned about this match.

2. dcsundevil2002

Apr 20, 2006
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what i think would be the best line-up against Mexico.

Cooper - Twellman

Donovan

Beasley --------- Deuce

Clark

Spector - Onyewu - Bocanegra - Cherundolo

Howard​

Using Donovan as a forward does not allow him to be the creative attacking player that he is. He would have to wait for service, which would never come. Have Beasley and Deuce on the sides and have Deuce and Donovan rotate in and out of the center to keep the Mexican's on their toes.

Have Cooper and Twellman up front. Both are big target guys, Cooper being a beast to handle and Twellman being good in the air.

Have Clark play the central defensive midfield role he plays with Houston as cover for the back four. Give Gooch and Los the center back spots and Spector the left side and Dolo the right.

Howard should start, assuming that Keller is nolonger in the running for the US squad.

3. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like this lineup. The only thing I'd change is that I'd like to see a true left back like Heath Pierce given a shot rather than playing Spector out of position. I definitely don't think Bornstein should start, but I hope he gets on the field at some point.

4. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    presuming no convey and no cherundolo...

twellman donovan
    beasley dempsey
    mastroeni clark
    bocanegra onyewu conrad spector
    howard

wolff, mapp, cooper as subs

want to see how clark handles this level

spector might not start meaning albright, so bocanegra and spector split halves then

5. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garlacep is reporting that Dolo will not be available as Hannover has a match on Friday and they are in a releagation fight. Thus, I don't think that line-up will occur.

Moreover, I would be very, very nervous starting Pearce on the left against the attack of Mexico. He has an excellent ability to get forward and I think he has very good crossing ability but I have not been impressed by his defending or his aggressiveness -- that could hurt us severely against Mexico's right flank attack. I'd feel much more comfortable with someone more experienced at that position -- at least to start the match.

6. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's both an interesting and likely line-up though I agree its probably unlikely Spector starts (if he's even called into camp). My concern with this line-up would be the lack of width with twin destroyers.

Moreover, without Convey or Dolo an even greater concern I have is our inability to serve an accurate cross. With Twellman, Cooper, Gooch, Boca & Clint we have a number of folks able to finish off set-pieces and crosses from the run of play. However, Donovan is basically the only predicted starter (aside from possibly Pearce) who can serve a consistently accurate cross. This is disconcerting.

7. brainer 99

brainer 99 New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    TT-------Rolfe
    LD
    DMB----Rico----Duece
    Boca---Conrad---Gooch---Spector
    Howard

Rico and LD in the middle, or will BB play two defensive mid's again and stiffle any chance of offense?
    Cooper for TT at half
    EJ for Rolfe (How many more chances will EJ get?)
    Bornstein for DMB? (Bornstein, our utility player?)

8. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    good point about width, one reason double dmids get used is because usa outside backs are asked to get forward by arena...

bradley can prove me wrong and go with a couple kids, but i think he's concerned about what a two goal loss would look to gulati...

my line-up is defensive in nature, and i'd think mexico would have a hard time breaking it down...

beasley, donovan, dempsey should create 3-4 solid chances..

add in the usa set pieces and i think we see a fairly conservative attack from the usa

9. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I would like to see Justin Mapp be given a game with something close to our first team and against a strong opponent like Mexico. So this would be my lineup:

-------Cooper---Donovan--------
    ----Mapp-----------Dempsey----
    ------------Clark----------------
    ----------Mastroeni-------------
    Beasley--Boca--Gooch---Spector
    -----------Howard--------------

If Feilhaber gets called in, I'd like to see him get at least a half at the spot I have Clark in. I'm sure a few eyebrows will be raised by my Beas at left back idea. I'm pretty sure Bradley (or whoever is coach) will look at this at some point in this cycle, given the emergence of other left-sided mids such as Convey, Mapp and Adu. By the way, I have some dim recollection of Bradley playing Beas at left back for the Fire for a handful of games.

10. brainer 99

brainer 99 New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    That's my main problem right now is BB's "interm" head coach tag. I mean either give him your complete backing or don't (Sunil). let's figure out what our attacking style is. USMNT seems to have a good idea defensively, but we need to find what our offensive identity is and start moving forward. Is LD our attacking mid or a forward? BB needs to have the confidence to try different ideas and not have to worry about losing (Too badly).

11. illinizissou

illinizissou New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    --------------------------------Twellman--------------
    -----------------Donovan------------------------------
    --------Beasley--------------------------Convey-------
    ---------------Pablo-----------Clark-------------------
    --------Boca---------Gooch---Boswell--------Conrad---

12. Roach

Roach Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    a full A team with no injurys i think should look like this 4-2-2-2
    gk=howard
    rb=dolo
    cb=onyewu
    cb=boca/conrad
    lb=boca/conrad
    dm=mastro
    dm=clark
    ram=donovan
    lam=beasly/convey
    st=rolfe
    target=ching/cooper
    or
    3-5-2
    gk=howard
    cb=boca
    cb=onyewu
    cb=conrad
    cm=mastro/convey
    cm=clark/convey
    rm=donovan/dempsey/dolo
    lm=beasly/convey
    am=donovan/dempsey
    st=rolfe/donovan
    target=ching/cooper
    there's alot of slashes but theres players so close in talent and the fact that they can play in more than one spot and are just as good there

i do believe tt should get time off the bench and if dempsey doesnt back the 11 hell come off the bench as well as dolo. id love to see mapp come in but were just so deep at lm with convey and beasly but i guess if convey is used in the middle than we can get mapp in the game in the 2nd half

14. dcsundevil2002

Apr 20, 2006
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

15. zeusbrowne

zeusbrowne New Member

Dec 12, 2006
    West Orange, NJ
    I notice many proposed lineups that are ignoring the info this thread is based on, i.e., no dolo or convey. Similarly, Pearce is no longer in camp.

Based on current info about players in camp I think we're looking at:
    -----Twellman----AJ
    ------------Donovan
    ---DMB---------------Deuce
    ------------Mastro
    Boca-Onyewu-Conrad-Albright
    -----------Howard

I'm not saying that's the linueup I want to see, just the one I think we will see. I see BB playing most/all of his called in Euros (otherwise why bother bringing them) and staying conservative.

What I'd like to see is:

------Cooper--GAM------------
    ------DMB-----Deuce---------
    ---------Donovan-------------
    -----------Rico----------------
    Boca-Onyewu-Conrad-Spector-
    ----------Howard-------------

16. dcsundevil2002

Apr 20, 2006
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spector should be on the left and Boca on the right.

17. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should assume Bradley will stick with the 2-def-mids style. He has a track record with it, he used it against Demark, it has been used successfully by the US against Mexico before, and the squad will probably have the depth to pull it off.

Also, if the team can spare it, I would be very curious to see Boca play significant minutes as a def-mid, as he has from time to time in England this year. We already know he is a solid, borderline starter at center back. We already know he is an adequate fill-in at left back.

Lastly, as much as this match is a big rivalry and should be played to win, I'd still like to see some of the newer players get the start at outside back. It's such a key position and has been such a point of weakness, that learning who can and cannot cut it is worth some risk. I'd throw Pierce and Spector in from the get-go.

Twellman -- Donovan

Beasley ------------- Dempsey
    Mastro -- Clark

Pierce --- Oneywu -- Conrad --- Spector

Howard​

Key 2nd Half Subs: Cooper for Twellman. Boca for Mastro. Fielhaber/Bradley for Clark. Mapp for Beasley/Dempsey.

18. illinizissou

illinizissou New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    No Convey? I thought it was no Duece? Ok ....

--------------------------------Twellman--------------
    -----------------Donovan------------------------------
    --------Beasley--------------------------Dempsey/Mapp
    ---------------Pablo-----------Clark-------------------
    --------Boca---------Gooch---Boswell--------Conrad---

19. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Twellman? Twellman isn't game fit!!! no way! it has to be someone with pace.

Not sure, if Gooch or Dempsey might come, but Boswell could hump Borgetti, Bofo or Foncesca through out the game. Rolfe could play on right flank, or maybe, move Donovan or Rolfe on the right-flank, Then, Wolff or Jaqua could be top. Keepers, anyone will be fine. We have to run through Pardo, stress out Pardo. Hopefully, we get a fair Ref, because Marquez and Blanco play borderline redcard dirtyness. Cooper drops a bit, set up Donovan or either of flank players. Clark should shot any chance he gets.

Cooper Donovan

Mapp Feilhaber Dempsey or Rolfe

Clark

Pearce Boca Gooch Cherundolo

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    --------------Howard--------------

-------Onyewu------Boca----------
    Cherundolo------------------Spector

-------------Mastroeni--------------
    ----Dempsey----------Convey/Beas-
    ---------------Mapp----------------

----------Donovan--Cooper---------

That IMO would be our best option going up against Mexico IF all were available. however there are certain players i hope are not there so that they can help their club, like Feilhaber and Spector. Id prefer Pearce play left back if it means Spector can help his club survive.

I also would like to throw Mapp into the fire. I want to see what he can offer us at attacking midfield, i think he can be something special. You all know my opinion on Twellman....so i wont go there. Id like to see Rolfe as a 65th minute substitute for one of the two frontmen. And naturally, I want to see Cooper pile over Marquez a few times for good measure....something that says "yeah your now my b&%ch for the next ten years".

and naturally Gooch so he can Borgetti....Borgetti. Mastroeni because he and Blanco get along really well. Im a Clark fan, but because of Pablos history with Blanco it gives us the best chance to factor the whiny brat out.

As for the vets, Beasley and Landon are given. It shakes the very structure of Mexican football when either of those two are on the field.

21. zeusbrowne

zeusbrowne New Member

Dec 12, 2006
    West Orange, NJ
    Likely true, I just don't want to see Mastro Clark again. I don't like it and I don't think I ever will, no matter how much BB forcefeeds it to us. We need the space in our midfield for a little more attacking, passing and posession talent.

Like it or not (and I don't, did I mention that?) you're right.

I reiterate that (IIRC) Pearce is gone back to Scandanavia. Can anyone confirm?

22. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that is accurate. However, Bradley could certainly call him in along with the rest of the Euros. Still, it seems rather unlikely that he or Feilhaber will get called in based on Bradley's comments about the Euros he intends to call. In fact, I think its 50/50 Spector gets called in (though I certainly hope he does -- in a 4-4-2 he's clearly one of our best fullbacks with Dolo out).

23. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Both are right-footed. I can't recall Boca ever playing on the right for club or country -- though he probably has. Conversely, Spector seems to get time on both sides.

24. illinizissou

illinizissou New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Correct

25. zeusbrowne

zeusbrowne New Member

Dec 12, 2006
    West Orange, NJ
    Considering we will probably get forecefed the Mastro Clark partership, there's no room for Mapp, Donovan needs to be up top or theres no room for Deuce.

Agreed

Agreed, at least when he's rolling around on the ground like he has a broken leg it'll be because Mastro actually did break his leg. (I can dream)

Agreed.

If we're really trying to get all of the players that Mexico hates so much, don't forget Cobi. I STILL think he should get capped every time we play Mexico.