Best attribute for a soccer player?

Discussion in 'Player' started by soccerkid89, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Theo P

Theo P New Member

Mar 6, 2004
    Epileptic fits and shaved legs.

Without a doubt.

2. seanv10

seanv10 New Member

Aug 11, 2005
    I think that vision is more important than speed because if you know where to pass before the ball comes I think that is more crucial than speed. Just my opinion.

3. JUKE BOX8

JUKE BOX8 New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    SAN josie
    Yeah I have a huge confidence issue. But when I do feel confident I play great.

4. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    I think the most important attribute is conciously knowing where you are on the fields at all times, so you know where to place balls without thinking and knowing where you and your teammates are so that its second nature. stamina and of course skill is important too.

5. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I disagree with this 100%. Usually retireing in your early 30's is due to reoccuring injuries.
    Some of the best players in the world arent that quick. Granted speed plays an issue as far as the team as a whole but you can have slow players contribute on a quick team.
    now SPEED OF THOUGHT is a different issue. Look at Valderama, a great player who was the epitomy of slow and "lazy" yet was very effective. Or even Zidane. Not remarkably quick, but incredibly smart and talented.

I am not saying speed isnt important at teh highest level, but it is far from the most important.

6. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    yeah i dont think its speed because you can manage with out been really fast, but if you cant see the field or if you dont know what to do with and without the ball without thinking you take too long and loose the ball. When you play soccer you think 97.3% of the time about what you do next, but if you dont do that your done. A good shot and excellent footwork really help but knowing whos and whats around you at all times makes you a excellent player.

7. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Americans tend to rely on out-and-out speed to play the game. I play every week with a mix of Yanks, Brits, Africans, Mexicans, and Brazillians. Its amazing to see how the different nationalities play the game. On attack, the Brits go for long diagonal balls, the Brazillians go for quick one-twos, the Africans and Mexicans dribble like fiends. The Yanks put their heads down and run as fast as they can towards the end line.

But us Yanks are the hardest working players on the field in every game. We score more goals on grit alone than anyone else and are a pain to play against because we're pretty tenacious defenders.

So, maybe the answer depends on what country you're from?

Personally, I say the ability to maintain possession, under pressure, at all parts of the field is the most important attribute.

8. smithxi

smithxi New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    coordination and endurance and an ability to see plays and make them happen.

9. cristianoronaldo17

cristianoronaldo17 New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    UC 201, nj
    speed, vision, and strength

10. sukhenkoy

sukhenkoy New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    20,000 shits
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think it has to be ball control. There are a lot of players on my team that are fast, but have poor ball control, which results in them consistently losing the ball. If you are fast, then you should be doing track and field. With soccer, there is a ball involved, so you need great ball control to really succeed in the sport of SOCCER.

11. cristianoronaldo17

cristianoronaldo17 New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    UC 201, nj
  12. dﮥnny

dﮥnny New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    US
    You can't be bad if you have technique.

13. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    yeah i agree, speed is something that helps a lot but if you look at zidane for example he is the fastest guy out there but he has excellent vision and footwork and thats what makes him one of the best

14. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course you can.

15. bgsucount

bgsucount New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    I agree with all that has been mentioned, but to me the best attrbiute of a soccer player is willingness. This encompasses the willingness to get faster, get stronger, better technically, better desision making on and off the ball, and finally to become a student of the game

16. CC05

CC05 Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think the best attribute is speed on the ball... meaning quickness in decision making - so I guess that ties into your technique, field vision, etc. I think physical speed is an AMAZING attribute to have, and although it does give you a pretty big advantage, it won't make you the best player.

17. The Lion Keeper

The Lion Keeper New Member

Mar 11, 2005
    In the 18. Dallas
    I think the answer to this question may also vary with age. At the younger ages, it almost seems that first step quickness is king. Of course, skill along with that first step quickness also matters but if you take an extremely skilled player and a lesser skilled player that is much quicker, I think the quicker player may impress more. This may change when the opposing players mature defensively and then I think skill and vision may be a greater factor.

18. Antonio498

Antonio498 New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Close control and first touch are the most important basic attributes in any position.

Football is all about passing and moving, without passing a team fails to function as a unit. But for every pass that is made a team-mate has to recieve it, and recieving the ball involves controlling it - in many situations (particularly in the attacking 3rd) the reciever has to be able to put the ball exactly where he/she wants it first time or lose possesion. Therefore it can be said that touch and control make up 50% of the passing game, which in turn makes up a large amount of the sport itself.

19. Anarchist

Anarchist New Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Stuart, Florida
    I agree some with where other people are going, with the creativity and all. It helps but I don't think it's the MOST important. Look at some of the least creative teams out there (find them in europe. i think that's where you can differentiate european from south american... there are bits of it, but euro soccer is more straightforward, military-like systems), and they do just fine. Of course it helps.

To me, it's all about touch, especially first touch. If you have that, you can have everything. It's a LOT easier to develop, say, stamina than a GREAT first touch. The second is composure, which I think includes the confidence. The composure to pull a move, the composure to act correctly under pressure, even to keeping your temper n all. Etc.

20. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most important are speed, vision, reading of the game, and stamina. All are are essential.

21. Anarchist

Anarchist New Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Stuart, Florida
    But not the most important.

22. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the most important in your opinion?

23. Anarchist

Anarchist New Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Stuart, Florida
    Uhm... look just above your last one... o_O; haa.

24. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes.

25. Rooney#8

Rooney#8 New Member

Sep 5, 2004
    MANCHESTER!
    I think the most important skills as a footballer would be the technical skill and confidence. There is a guy in my year who is fast and fit but cannot shoot and has crap control but another guy has alot of skill is a good passer but is nowhere near as fast and doesn't have as good a stamina. The second player is far better. He plays for a decent team and scores alot of goals.