Best among the eliminated teams

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Christina99, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    While many of the teams were deservly eliminated, some of them made a good impression and the feeling that they might ve qualified if they were in easier groups/had more luck/ referees/ finish their chances better.

I think we can all agree that Morocco, Perú, Irán and Senegal made quite a good impression. Probably Nigeria too.

Which team do you guys think was the best and more complete team of those eliminated?

2. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Morocco and Peru played well enough to win their groups had their luck been different.

vancity eagle, 954gator and Christina99 repped this.
  3. blu201810

blu201810 New Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Jun 27, 2018
    Impressed by Morocco's dribbling and team cooperation, who could go far if they got a better striker...

Mani and Christina99 repped this.
  4. Edwardinho

Edwardinho Member

Barcelona
    France
    Feb 11, 2018
    My candidates are Morocco, Senegal, Peru and Iran.

5. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Likewise, these are good teams. Also South Korea is decent.

6. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    On paper, obviously, the best would be Germany, who nonetheless deserved no better than being eliminated. They were incredibly poor and lackluster and despite usually rooting for Germany, they were poor enough for me not to miss them at all.

In any case, my view of the most deserving (best) to the least deserving (worst) among the eliminated teams is as follows, leaving out Germany out of respect for their pedigree and the difficulty of putting them in such a list:

1- Senegal
    2- Iran
    3- Nigeria
    4- Morocco
    5- Peru
    6- Serbia
    7- Poland
    8- South Korea
    9- Iceland
    10- Tunisia
    11- Australia
    12-1- Costa Rica
    13- Saudi Arabia
    14- Egypt
    15- Panama

MPNumber9 repped this.
  7. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    From points:

Senegal
    Iran
    Peru South Korea
    Nigeria
    Serbia Germany
    Tunisia
    Poland
    Saudi Arabia
    Morocco
    Costa Rica
    Iceland Australia
    Egypt
    Panama

8. 954gator

954gator Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Peru
    Senegal
    Morrocco
    Iran

9. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Objectively, the 'best' team eliminated is Germany. They are world champions for a couple more weeks, after all. But that is not the point of this thread...

Morocco played with real heart in a difficult group and had a good balance in attack and defence. They also had awful bad luck, so I was very sorry to see them go out.

Pipiolo repped this.
  10. Kiemba

Kiemba New Member

Manchester United
    Dec 21, 2017
    Morocco stands out as the best performer from Africa at this tournament, they did the best it can be that you can't blame them for anything, apart from a clinical finisher Morocco didn’t do much wrong.
    PLUS Morocco arguably the team who got screwed the worst by the referee and VAR at this World Cup so far.
    They lost in a late drama against Iran, the opposition snatched a late winner (an own goal) against the run of play in a game dominated possession by Morocco.
    Yet again Ronaldo single-handedly won the match for Portugal in which completely dominated throughout the game by Morocco from the start to finish. Morocco made pressure on Portugal in a way that didn't let them have a second to breathe, that saw the Portuguese players unable to string a pass together, afterwards Portugal just lay back and defend with numbers. Nonetheless one genius on the field just about enough, Cristiano Ronaldo the one who carried the whole team to winning the three points from a very difficult match.
    Morocco against greater opposition Spain, once again another incredible performance and should have won it but they did not have the last word however VAR did. Spain defence has looked shaky all night in Morocco's test.
    Morocco having largely the better of the play of all the teams from the Group B but they failed to advance (Peru by the way similar to Morocco but against lesser oppositions from Group C).
    Amrabat in particular was spectacular, the man was instrumental in every way and far more lively with his play, his crossing and his vital passes, he saw most of the ball than any player in that group, the best player alongside with Isco at the Group B.

vancity eagle repped this.
  11. Kiemba

Kiemba New Member

Manchester United
    Dec 21, 2017
    Senegal came into the World Cup with high expectations, a group of exceptionally talented players obviously Mane, Gueye, Kouyate and Koulibaly immediately springs to the top of the mind, they have the best team, they had depth and they are the best African generation at the moment, what went wrong?
    They've played well and their overall game was also good but not outstanding as it should be.
    Senegal was impressive in the first game against Poland, especially on physical strength and pace meant that they were more athletic and faster technique than their opponent.
    They drew 2-2 with Japan and quite frankly against the run of play. Senegal control of midfield at the first but bit of a slump in the second half while they had dropped deep to protect their lead their opponent created chances more than they.
    Again against Colombia, Senegal dominate the first half and played very well in a much more consistent manner at winning this but at the end they lost.
    Colombia deserved their advance but I'm not sure one more yellow card can rightfully separate whatever the two teams. It's outrageous reason, it's silly.

Congratulations to Japan, they advance eventually and therefore they deserve it.
    However, Japan's time-wasting in the last minutes match against Poland was a disgrace of the game. I've heard a lot of wasting time in Asian football but as long as out of sight and on lower standard of football as in Asia it's ok, then to bring this to the global stage it's quite disgusting. Its so frustrating to watch teams time waste.
    And this is a second time Japan done this, the first was against Denmark in 2010, falling to the ground to waste time and acting as if they just broke their leg it's comical show and to be honest actually I find it funny.

12. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Obviously it’s Germany. They still created a lot of decent scoring chances . Even with their bad transition defense , if they had scored some of those chances they would easily still be in the competition . I can think of at least 3 easy headers for example that that they uncharacteristically missed.

Had they not been named Germany, I think most people would pick them. They probably created the most legit scoring chances out of all those teams.

Leaving them aside, I’d say Peru , Morocco and Senegal.

laurasoccerfreak and dna77054 repped this.
  14. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    very true, Germany, had no luck whatsoever in front of goal. I saw some statistic toward the end of the Group stage stating that Germany had taken more shots than any other team in the tournament. But they were lucky on defense, a bit more composure by Mexico on offense and we a looking at a 3-0 game to start that group. Also a couple of "could be" penalties were not called against them.

And after watching that first round, I would love to see some combination of Senegal, Peru, and Morocco playing each other. That would be some lovely futbol.

Pipiolo repped this.
  15. 954gator

954gator Member

Jun 16, 2016
    If you wanna see a guy that really danced with the ball this world cup check out Andre Carrillo. Guy was special. Him and Advincula really played great. Too bad they couldn't get through. Fukn Penalty miss!

Pipiolo and celito repped this.
  16. 954gator

954gator Member

Jun 16, 2016
    F'n Fifa and their copyrights!

17. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are talking about this tournament, not the one 4 years ago. Germany were not very good. Objectively, they are NOT the best eliminated team. Not even close.

TheHitman47, 954gator and Pipiolo repped this.
  18. Oddo26

Oddo26 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Portugal, Senegal and Egypt I think were the three besides Germany I thought were best(Germany was not terrible). Argentina kind of, think that team was awful when you take out Messi though, while Egypt played well against Uruguay without Salah.

Senegal is better than lots of teams still in the tournament including Japan who topped their group IMO.

19. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Heheh, my mistake for saying 'objectively'. Let's drop that concept. Football is all opinions.

Of course Germany had a bad 3 group games. The way I thought about the question was overall quality of the team. If another tournament happened next week, who would you tip to win out of the eliminated sides. For me that would be Germany. Other posters seem to have a similar line of thinking. You have interpreted the question differently, fair enough. Who is your choice? Argentina?

20. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't necessarily agree with the Guardian's choices in all cases, but this how they ranked the teams in the tournament after the group stage. Since those teams that are eliminated will get to play more matches, the Guardian's choices can be shown faulty with regard to those who haven't been eliminated yet. But for the eliminated sides, I guess their opinion is as valid as any one else's and more credible than some I have read here.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ower-rankings-brazil-and-croatia-lead-the-way
    1- Brazil
    2- Croatia
    3- Belgium
    4- Uruguay
    5- Colombia
    6- Mexico
    7- Spain
    8- France
    9- Sweden
    10-England
    11- Switzerland
    12- Argentina
    13- Portugal
    14- Denmark
    15- Russia
    16- Japan
    17- Iran
    18- Senegal
    19- Peru
    20- Nigeria
    21- Morocco
    22- South Korea
    23- Serbia
    24- Iceland
    25- Germany
    26- Poland
    27- Tunisia
    28- Australia
    29- Costa Rica
    30- Saudi Arabia
    30- Egypt
    32- Panama

Here is how Fox Sports Asia graded the Asian continent. Since Japan is still in thick of things, it might be a bit premature. But I guess no one is giving them much of a chance against Belgium anyway.

http://www.foxsportsasia.com/football/world-cup/907483/asian-teams-2018-world-cup-graded/
    Asian teams at the 2018 World Cup graded

1- IRAN B+
    2- Japan B
    3- South Korea C+
    4- Australia C
    5- Saud Arabia C-

21. ragnars

ragnars Red Card

PSV Eindhoven
    Iceland
    Jun 28, 2018
    #21 ragnars, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    I don't see why Brazil is being ranked #1 based on performances. They couldn't beat Switzerland and had a hard time dealing with difficult matches against Costa Rica and Serbia.

Denmark is ranked too low in Guardian's ranking. They whould easily be a top 8 side based on performances. Denmark is well organised and has very strong team play. I am surprised how well they defended in this tournament against three good teams in their group. I am picking Denmark to beat Croatia, simply because I think they will outwork the Croatian team, and Erikssen will show his quality.

Peru greatly impressed me. They lack a bit of incisiveness and final product, but their ball control was outstanding. Seldom saw a bad touch and their close control and linkup play were outstanding. They could improve vastly with an improved conditioning programme.

Russia deserves to be ranked above Portugal. The last group match was largely a result of their decision to rest key players like Golovin and Fernandes, which resulted in their backup right back getting beaten and forced into conceding a red card. They then had to pull their best player Cheryshev. The second goal was a very lucky goal by Uruguay as it came off a deflection that gave the keeper no chance. But even when Russia were down to ten men against Uruguay, they were the better side and could have gotten something from the match. I think Russia wil upset Spain tomorrow. Golovin, Cheryshev, and Fernandes will make problems for Spain's brittle defense.

22. ragnars

ragnars Red Card

PSV Eindhoven
    Iceland
    Jun 28, 2018
    Iceland deserves a much higher ranking. It baffles me how they are ranked only one spot above Germany. Iceland's team play was fantastic, and they nearly got a result against Croatia. They lack the athleticism to deal with the likes of Musa, so they would always have a hard time against Nigeria. If Gylfi Siggurdson hadn't been injured, we could easily have seen Iceland in the knockout rounds. Iceland are easily among the top half of the teams in this tournament.

23. ragnars

ragnars Red Card

PSV Eindhoven
    Iceland
    Jun 28, 2018
    Australia deserves to be ranked above Germany, Poland and Tunisia. They fought very hard and should have gotten a draw had it not been a questionable VAR decision - it seemed to be a good tackle. Disappointing last match, but this seemed to be largely due to losing Nabbout, who was their workhorse.

24. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    For me the most audacious teams were Peru and Morocco. Both teams played fearlessly and were able to put top sides on the back foot. Senegal also played some really good football and scored a really well worked goal against Japan. Other teams like Iceland, Iran, and South Korea impressed because they were able to do pretty well considering their limitations and stunned some big opponents who were expected to roll them over. It's almost unthinkable that Iceland would draw Argentina, Iran would draw Portugal, and South Korea would beat Germany. The South Korea win was without a doubt the biggest shock of the tournament, bigger than Mexico's win over Germany.

954gator repped this.
  25. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    @ragnars,

For those teams that haven't been eliminated, they will get their chance to prove themselves better or worse still. I will let what transpires to illuminate further with regard to them.

But I can't agree with you regarding Iceland. When all is said and done, they got a point against a disappointing Argentina side and then got schooled by Nigeria and lost to a Croatian team that rested some players and didn't have much to play for. I wouldn't rate them much higher than the Guardian has.

vancity eagle repped this.