Berhalter

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Pragidealist, Oct 12, 2018.

1. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I think it depends on coaching a club where you can acquire players to fit your desired system, vs coaching a national team where your player pool is finite. (Unless you coach a world powerhouse with a ton of depth and variety, nat team coaches have less flexibility.)

nowherenova repped this.
  2. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    It can also be argued that a definitive system is better for national teams bc the players on hand in form and not injured change every game so you need to be able to plug and play more. Also less time to work on different systems / best to get really good st one that can be tweaked minorly game to game.

Not that I’m all in on a system coach just that it’s an age old argument with two pretty even theories on which is better

3. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Talking about player selection, what I don't understand is why he chose to sell Finley and Meram if he has decision power on player sign/trade? This directly led to his Crew's under-performace on attacks this season. He also dumped Romain Gall and didn't give him any minutes there.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  4. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Dark horse to play that 10 role assuming Pulisic is outside. Jonathan Lewis. I know he got benched at NYCFC but all the kid does is make key passes. Always in the right place at the right time and picks the right ball.

Other less mentioned or not ripe candidates:

Lletget
    Alvarez
    Carleton
    Jonathan Lewis

5. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Finlay had a dip in form and the Crew signed Santos.

Meram requested to be traded.

Gall was waived and no other MLS team picked him up. He went to a lower division team in Sweden.

superdave and Mario Balotelli repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I’ve only seen Lewis play as a winger. We don’t currently have the needed #10 options in the player pool, but the cycle has barely started. It’s not like we have striker options either. Sarachan has been calling in players who don’t play regular first team games at that position. I wouldn’t suggest doing so at any position, but the same could be done at the #10 position.

#10 Candidates from the youth ranks IMO:

Carleton
    Pomykal
    Ledezma
    Mendez
    Palomino
    Roberts
    Nyeman
    Rotundo

The first two should get to the NT soon enough. The next four are possibilities, but hard to know. The latter two are years off, but maybe the two biggest stars in the younger youth teams.

There aren’t that many candidates. It’s a position without that much depth, but it definitely has a lot of top end quality. I’d be surprised if we don’t have 2-3 quality #10’s by the end of the cycle.

7. bharreld

bharreld Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Westlake, OH
    I think we may need to admit we don’t have a 10-like substance and play a system that doesn’t require one. I’m no strategist, but the dreaded “empty bucket” springs to mind. I’m also pretty sure I’ve heard a quote somewhere about the press being the best playmaker. If a coach could make that work for the usmnt I’d be pretty interested to watch it.

Bajoro repped this.
  8. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Yes those are reasonable but maybe except Meram case, it is to all or a large extent his decision. Based on it I can say Berhalter picked up Santos and packed off Finley of poor form, and didn't rate Gall. Then he still use his old tactics and this system run very bad on attacking side this season ( second less scoring team in entire league).

9. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Those kids you listed are just prospects. I really cannot convince myself Pomykal can soon get calls from USMNT. Maybe you are right Pareja and Martino are blind or bias, but they are not idiot ( more professional than us ), which means both two players are most possibly not a obvious locked MLS starters right now, not to mention becoming a members in a good Europe club's senior team. We should agree a USMNT callups should at least a level of MLS starter, better an euro club solid contributor, right? What led you think Calerton or Pomykal are close to it?

10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I was offering an explanation for each player and nothing more.

11. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    I know. I just made my statement based on your detailed info. And the first thing I want to see or hear about Berhalter ( canot be others right? ) is whether he only stick to his 4231 or he can handle some different formation and adjust tactics based on player pool. Which type of coach is he?

12. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I dont disagree with that, I think we are perhaps saying similar things. My point is I didnt want a coach to come in married to his prefered system, and stubbornly refuse to change it (Jurgen) when it doesnt fit our player pool.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You could say the same thing about our whole NT, minus a handful or two of players (Pulisic, McKennie, Brooks, Miazga, Yedlin, maybe a couple others). What has Weah done at the pro level? Nothing. He plays in a reserve team, yet he’s supposedly too good to play in his own age group for some bizarre reason and is now a NT fixture.

Our NT is in a phase where the prospects aren’t yet qualified to play for the NT and the mid 20’s-early 30’s players aren’t good enough.

russ, Anderson11 and comoesa repped this.
  14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet at the age of 22, he was playing his first season of 1st team football, in the 3rd division of France. The poster was right. Despite Kante's motor, players can learn a lot from a guy who, 5 years ago, most people would have thought was nothing more than a warm body. Now he is a 27 year old multi-Prem winning, World Cup winning player. Hard work on the right areas of your game CAN pay off, and I think that was the other posters point.

Bajoro repped this.
  15. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Weah already debut and a contributor of one of the greatest clubs in Euro. Can you tell the ability difference between him and Calerton / Poymkal?

The last paragraph is true, and I also want kids play, but I made so many wrong and over optimistic expectation on youngsters in the past few years (after 2010 WC I wrote a post somewhere to say we gonna have a breakout year in 2018 world cup because I'm confident on the improvement of our development system. ) and I choose to change a little bit.

16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    He has generally started with 4231 but will make adjustments. It's difficult to say whether he will change for the pool or not as club is so different than national team. He is cerebral almost to a fault and his teams seem to punch above their weight yet lack that killer instinct.

17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Finlay was a huge overachiever. Meram I thought wanted to leave. Gall might be a mistake.

18. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Exactly.

Hopefully he assess the US personnel and adjusts his tactics accordingly.

We are not suited to playing 4 in the back with our pool of FBs against quality opposition.

If these rounds of friendlies make anything clear, it is that.

19. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Heaven help us!

20. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #95 mattjo, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  21. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
  22. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Jonathan Lewis is ever our #10 we are in deeeeeep trouble

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The same Trinidad that sent us home, with Winchester, Lewis, Alvin Jones, Hyland, Paul, Hodge, George, Cyrus, just lost to Thailand 1-0.

Thailand. The same Thailand beat 2-0 in the summer. How bad do you have to be to lose to a team that can't beat Thailand?

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Houston, 21st in team payroll, went to the 2017 Western Conference Finals.

16th in team payroll, they won 2018 US Open Cup.

Cabrera for the NT?

In a normal Federation, both he and Berhalter would be promoted to bigger teams to further prove themselves. The NT should be recruiting from among accomplished South American or European coaches. But, whatever.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #100 ussoccer97531, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    I can’t, but that’s not the point. You can use Sargent or the next pet project that gets a NT callup without earning it at the first team of their club team as an example, if you want. Outside of the one at Dortmund and the one at Schalke, none are proven, so we need to rely on these prospects. It certainly won’t be Bradley and Altidore leading us this cycle.

I also think that we have had two emerge in the last couple of years beyond what any of them did years ago, so I think it’s clear we are improving. How much is the question, but I don’t think those two will be the only two.