Berhalter

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Pragidealist, Oct 12, 2018.

1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O ok I get what you're saying now. I think Pulisic can become that but he needs to continue to develop in that aspect.

2. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan was a 10. In fact, he invented the American 10 style: excellent long and short-range passing, wing-oriented (rather than central) , box-to-box, ball conduction with pace (over ball protection), deadly in and around the box. Hell, if England had '09-'11 Donovan instead of Raheem Sterling this summer, they probably make the final. For me, Pulisic checks all those boxes and adds a little more. The only one I have a question on is his passing.

Pulisic will be a central attacking figure in any new coach's line-up.

3. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is your point. You wrote:

You wrote that. Is he a first team player or not? He's not!

https://www.atlutd.com/players/5/andrew-carleton

He's played in 7 matches with 2 starts -- a total of 161 minutes. That's less than 2 full games. He's 18 years old. Why should he play for the national team again?

luvdagame repped this.
  4. #8or#6

#8or#6 Red Card

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 15, 2017
    I expect a certain amount of exaggeration from fans when expressing their nostalgic flights into the glories of the past, but this is a rocket ship ride into fantasy. "Invented the American 10 style." No, I think you invented it. And the stuff about Sterling is, well, unbelievable.

juveeer and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Pulisic is going to have the best club career of any American ever. I'd bet on that.

However, for a NT with a lot of under-par players (let's not deceive ourselves, beyond Pulisic and McKennie we have just the unproven and the frankly mediocre), you need the Talisman effect: a guy who can compensate for the little things missing in each of the other guys.

I don't see Puli being capable of doing that.

6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    So after almost carrying a team completely mismanaged through the Hex as a 19 yo, you are going to bet against him when next go round he'll have much better teammates? I'd easily take that bet.

You realize he is about the age now that LD was a role player in the 2002 WC? I'd expect his game to evolve quite a bit in the next couple of years and unless we have another coach waste him out wide, he will be very dangerous or attract enough attention that the rest of the players will have plenty of space to do so.

I dont necessarily agree that we only have two proven players, but even if I accept that assumption, the number of prospects now is multiples of what it has been in the past. Id be pretty surprised if a couple didnt come good. There is quite a bit of talent on this u20 side that is going to play in 15 mins, but it doesnt include Adams, Sargent, Weah, and Amon who are eligible players who have already "acceptably;y" played for the USMNT.

juveeer repped this.
  7. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why unbelievable? Do you have a hard time rating players? Sterling can't pass or shoot.

Excellency repped this.
  8. #8or#6

#8or#6 Red Card

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 15, 2017
    Yeah, me and the last three England National team managers have had the same blind spot in our evaluations. Some guy on this site says all player evaluations are subjective, so there's that to consider.

juveeer repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think he should (yet), but I think saying he's a reserve team player isn't a proper characterization. I also think there's a difference between not yet earning a NT call up and not being good enough. They could be the same thing, but they aren't always.

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sancho > 10 Sterlings

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    If Beerholder REQUIRES a traditional style #10 to make his "system" work, then he is the wrong man for the job.

There aren't that many world class classic 10's around anymore and not that many top teams even use them the way El Pibe, Juan Roman, even Pep played that role.

Any coach we hire SHOULD be able to come up with a system that fits the player pool we have and make it successful. If Gregg can't do that, then he shouldn't be hired.

Period.

manq360 and #8or#6 repped this.
  13. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The bigger question is why are we assuming he can't?

14. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Begrudgingly, I have to pass along some respect for Gregg's accomplishments at this point in the post season. He's played three game (essentially including the win or out last in season game) and won all three, including one against the hottest team in the league at their own park. Good work sir. Iffin you are the next USMNT, I will give you a little slack. But just a little.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  15. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    A traditional 10 is not a requirement.

I still don't think he is the right man for the job.

16. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He started a total of 2 games all season. By definition, he's not a starter. If you can't start in MLS, you have no business on the National Team. Even stronger, if you're not an MLS star, you have no business on the national team. These aren't controversial positions.

majspike and DHC1 repped this.
  17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Beerholder finally ignored Curly Doyle at MLS dot com who thought Waylon Francis was the best left back in MLS and brought in a real left back in Valenzuela. Great player. Still young.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bad record...

19. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pulisic doesn't see the field donovan did, i don't think he could play the 10 with the same results.

20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    20 yo Donovan didnt see the field the way a 28 yo Donovan did either.

CP is much further along at this age. His role this year at BVB is giving him more flexibility to drift inside as opposed to being pinned on the touchline in the past. I'd expect to see significant improvement in this area which I dont think is as deficient as many making it out to be.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Puli needs to stop doing the rhino thing: head down & trying to dribble the entire defense.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Or you need to stop doing the "American thing": suggesting a kid needs to take players on less and trying to stifle their creativity.

CP is 20 yo and still figuring things out. His game will evolve with time. His role at BVB has been to just take people on create trouble for defenses. As he moves centrally, his role will change and the kid will likely adapt.

Oh... his 24A in 109 appearances for BVB and 7A in 21 appearances for the USMNT suggest he is doing something right in terms of creating chances for teammates.

23. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Here we are, Nov 7 and still no announcement. Meanwhile Sarachan is coaching yet another two games. Why??? I think that Ernie doesnt want to announce the new coach while that coach is still busy. That leaves two people in my mind. It almost has to be either Berhalter or Tab Ramos. Interesting choices. Tab is looking very, very good with the U20s and Berhalter is doing good with Columbus.

If I had to vote, I would pick Tab at this point. He has put in his time and done a good job at it. Was a far better player than Berhalter ever was and I think he could coach a team that was actually capable or scoring

24. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but expecting Pulisic to develop Donovan's mind for the game is bit much imo. I don't see Pulisic being able to to organize an entire attack itself, Donovan was pretty much always doing that as soon as he turned pro. The game is kind of going in the opposite direction from these players so it's not exactly a fault.

25. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    It’s Berhalter .. it’s the worst kept secret in sports right now