Benny Feilhaber

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Abebe, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. rscaramelo

rscaramelo Coach/Hack Defender

May 5, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are the Revs and history says we should expect the worst (ie:cheap way out). It's not on their website yet. If you get a member of your World Cup team you announce it loudly. I expect they're going to deal him.

Like I said before, I wouldn't be broken up about dealing him if we ended up with a Cameron who is an all-star and a fringe national teamer but I would prefer to keep Benny. Is there any chance this might be delayed because of another type of deal involving some of our other guys? I thought I read somewhere that this team was close to the cap which is insane considering the lack of talent.

3. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simply put, adding Feilhaber to our midfield increases our talent level the second he steps on the field. Come on Revs, do not trade him, play him.

4. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Who?

Only Cameron--an obvious upgrade to put next to Shalrie, but even he doesn't give us the possession that Benny would.

Cruz? A battler but no passer of the ball. Potential still unknown.

Ashe? Can't keep close control of the ball to save his life.

Ching or Clark? Hurt all the time.

Davis? Another left peg to add to Perovic and Tierney? Another guy in his 30s? Nein, danke.

The bottom line is that you only bring in so many players in their 30s (and Lekic 29) if you are trying to WIN NOW. Colorado did just that last year with Brian Mullan, for example.

Feilhaber gives the Revs the best shot at winning now.

Bruin, Sarkodie, etc. is all future planning that would make our offseason acquisitions look pointless and ridiculous. Dabo already looks pointless and ridiculous, in the mold of Jankauskas.

5. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I've been out of the loop since about 7 last night, and all I knew was A.) Revs had picked Benny B.) They were bandying about the idea of potentially in the future contemplating putting a plan together to evaluate the possibility of looking at the likelihood or discussing trades (Measure 9, Cut one). Starting at page 16 or whatever of this thread, I started reading. I'm not a TL;DR kind of person, so it took me some time, and every single page I read, it seemed like two more were tacked on to the end. Then something strange happened. At page 28 I realized, "F*&%, they traded him". I'm not yet convinced they won't, but I'm really glad that they haven't. Cautious optimism.

And hell, if the Silver Shoulders didn't suck, I might have even bought a jersey. Well, next year

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think any deal would have to include Davis or Cameron to begin with. One of those two and add one of these other guys and allocation money and you make the Revs a better team, probably save some cap space and gives the Revs an option during the summer to sign another player. Not saying they should do it but Feilhaber does come with issues himself and the Revs should look at all options. A savy business man does;)

Cruz - better option than Nyassi or Boggs
    Bruin - Already looks better than Schilawaski
    Boswell - Better than Coria, Cochrane or Barnes
    Hainault - better than Coria, Cochrane or Barnes
    Clark - Better option then Phelan, Boggs, McCarthy or Tierney

7. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No please, get off topic a little bit. Tangents are a hobby of mine. (I swear to God if someone makes a trigonometry joke...)

8. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While not attempting to discount the important things that you said, nor change the subject, I'd like to interject, I too decided not to buy this jersey because of the Patriots shoulders! :D

9. RevsGuy06

RevsGuy06 Member

Feb 5, 2001
    england 2.0
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all know damn well that they're not going to bring in a worth-while DP this summer. Sure, they'll "try", but if they get anyone, it'll be another Jankauskas/Dabo type, who is old, broken, and wont last. I would be beyond shocked if they brought in someone above the level of those two. I'm not holding my breath, and Feilhaber is a much more worth-while option.

So the cap hit is an issue? Stolica and Dube make a near-combined 300k to sit on the bench (Stolica 210k, Dube almost 90k). Start by clearing those guys out; both are way too overpaid for their production. BF gives us the help we need NOW, on and off the field, to become a decent team again. He gives us someone to build around NOW, even if he does bolt back to Europe after his contract is up.

Trashing him, and our allocation spot, for a Houston scrub and some magic beans would be epically disappointing, and would further add to the pile of crap that Nicol has been creating since 2008.

10. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Benny's the biggest signing of the Nicol Era. Forget about faith, we've got history telling us that there's nothing more compelling coming this summer. Perhaps if Feilhaber turns out to be a big hit we might see more like, but, barring that, there is no reason to expect the Revs have something bigger up their sleeve.

11. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just for argument's sake, let's say the Dynamo offer us Cameron in return. In terms of sheer value, it's tough to beat a former MLS All-Star and Best XI player who makes dang close to the league minimum.

[LINEUP-4-3-3]Perovic, Lekic, DP, Cameron, Joseph, Dabo, Domi, Soares, Coria, Alston, Reis[/LINEUP-4-3-3]

This could work, too... depending on the DP.

12. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are we really prepared for the crush of people and media attention about to hit us from that tsunami coming out of Attleboro? Maybe best we stick with something more manageable like the world class name of Feilhaber. ;)

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    world class? little bit of a reach there

14. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Not that I want Benny to be traded to Houston, but...

Cameron is an Attleboro, MA, native; plenty of marketing potential there. I can't see multitudes of Brazilians or USMNT fans coming to Gillette because of Benny but I can see the Revs getting lots of free local press and generating lots of interest outside of the soccer community because of Cameron. How many other pro athletes went to local high schools? When will the Revs get another shot at signing a local athlete like this?

Also, Cameron is very versatile, cheap, and possibly on the fringes of the USMNT. Sounds like Nicol's type of player to me, whether he would be the best option for the Revs or not.

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dabo? who is this Dabo that you speak of

16. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Ding!

17. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's sad that we are resigning ourselves to the idea that they may trade Feilhaber for Cameron or Brad Davis. Those guys would just be more of the same mediocre crap on this team.

Also, Cameron will generate zero buzz just for the fact that he is local. Chris Tierny is local, and no one outside of the Midnight Riders has any idea who he is. It's a nonstarter.

18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt the local Brazilian community even knows who he is let alone know that he is "brazilian".

19. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...just like Tierney

20. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, if your so good at knowing the future would you mind helping me pick a few winning stocks ;)

21. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The fact that the Revs still haven't posted anything on their website is really alarming to me. I really don't see Feilhaber ever putting on a Revs jersey at this point...

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.
    And he's only 26.
    Yes.
    No. Graziani we got rid of way too quickly and he wound up doing pretty damn well for himself once he got to Dallas. He scored 44 goals in 84 games outside of New England. Not thoroughly surprising ... we didn't give him enough of a shot.
    I'm bringing your post up from a couple of days ago again because it's hitting that point now. The Revs got the guy they wanted. Now if they trade him away, and to me the worst trade is "draft picks" ... I'll state it clearly now, I'm going to be f'in pissed. The Revs have a chance (as you can clearly see on these boards) to excite a fan base that is pretty lackadaisical right now ... do it.

23. RevSoccerMV

RevSoccerMV Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to bed last night thinking that in the morning, I would awake to either:
    A-Feilhaber plastered all over the Revs website
    or
    B- The Revs had already traded his rights for a Herschel Walker-esque trade

Obviously neither has happened yet.

& I dont understand how his cap hit can be higher than the DP threshold of $335K, wouldnt the rest just be paid for by our beloved Kraft? or did MLS write that stuff down in pencil

24. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, maybe so. How-about world known? But the main point is, you completely missed my joke/sarcasm like a jet plane flying over your head at Logan. :)

25. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    The Revolution's decision to claim Feilhaber was a no-brainer after both Chivas and Philly passed. If the Revs want to keep him he'll be an immediate upgrade to the squad. Should Houston or any other club want to trade for him the Revs have considerable leverage in getting someone or something quality in return.

I can argue for either move and be reasonably happy with either, it's just a matter of calculating risk at this point.