Benfica vs Porto [R] 6th week, expect 65,000

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    its better for both teams, I think its a fair amount, and definettely causes a lot less trouble, so in the second half of the season will be only 1,500 benfiquistas at Porto, I don't see anything wrong with these policy as long us the stadium is full.

2. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    :D :D :D

3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    only a 1,000 tickets left for the game, and they put a side waiting for Porto decision

4. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Olegario Bequerenca will be the referee

Futebol/Superliga: Olegário Benquerença vai dirigir o Benfica-FC Porto Olegário Benquerença, de Leiria, foi o árbitro escolhido para dirigir o Benfica-FC Porto, do próximo domingo, em jogo a contar para a sexta jornada da Superliga. ÁRBITROS: Gil Vicente-Braga, Bruno Paixão (Setúbal); Marítimo-Moreirense, Nuno Almeida (Algarve); Nacional-Guimarães, Carlos Xistra (Castelo Branco); Estoril-Sporting, Pedro Proença (Lisboa); Rio Ave-Beira Mar, Paulo Pereira (Viana do Castelo); Leiria-Boavista, (Paulo Costa, Porto); Belenenses-Penafiel, Mário Mendes (Coimbra);Benfica-FC Porto, Olegário Benquerença (Leiria);Vitória de Setúbal-Académica, Augusto Duarte (Braga).

5. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Miguel, Simao, Petit, Nuno Gomes the Benfica players look ready for the game with Porto

Nuno Valente still doubtful for Porto

6. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    Let's hope Petit & Simao can shoot like they did against Russia on sunday night.

7. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    oh yeah, they need to play like yesterday night :D maybe Simão needs to play a bit better

8. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Nuno Valente will not be ready for Sunday game, also in the injured list Emanuel the central defender for FC Porto

18h27Futebol/FC Porto: Nuno Valente não recuperou e Pedro Emanuel está lesionado A possibilidade de utilização de Nuno Valente, domingo, na Luz, é cada vez mais improvável. O defesa-esquerdo, que ontem voltou a sentir dores no joelho esquerdo, em que se lesionou há pouco mais de um mês, ao serviço da selecção Nacional, tendo mesmo saído mais cedo do treino, hoje não saiu do departamento médico, onde foi tratado. Também o central Pedro Emanuel, com uma contusão na coxa esquerda, sofrida ontem, não esteve, tanto quanto se viu, no campo, ficando no departamento médico, em tratamento. Já com os internacionais A Costinha, Maniche e Hélder Postiga, o plantel está praticamente completo, faltando apenas Luís Fabiano, que só amanhã deve chegar ao Porto, ainda a tempo de participar na sessão do dia. Costinha e Maniche tiveram tratamento especial, dado que alinharam ontem contra a Rússia e fizeram trabalho de recuperação, de sapatilhas em vez de chuteiras. Já Hélder Postiga, que não defrontou a selecção russa, integrou-se no plantel. Aos jornalistas apenas foi possível ver os 15 minutos iniciais, isto é, o aquecimento. Victor Fernandez marcou novo treino para amanhã às 16 horas, de novo no centro de estágios de Vila Nova de Gaia, dando, depois, uma conferência de Imprensa.

9. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    cool, i hope that ricardo Costa plays as LB :D

10. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    Se foi para isto que mantiveram o silêncio até agora então mais valia continuarem calados!
    Para quê isto agora?!

11. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  12. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    Porto call up

Gks: Vítor Baía and Nuno.

Defenders: Jorge Costa, Ricardo Costa, Pepe, Seitaridis and Areias.

Midfielders: Costinha, Bosingwa, Hugo Leal, Diego, Maniche, Raul Meireles and Carlos Alberto.

Strikers: Quaresma, Hélder Postiga, Derlei, McCarthy and Hugo Almeida.

Luis Fabiano not in shape, so looks like that McCarthy will start in the lineup, damn

13. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    Benfica's call up

Gks: Moreira and Quim.

Defenders: Amoreirinha, Luisão, Miguel, Ricardo Rocha, Argel, Dos Santos and Fyssas.

Midfielders: Petit, Manuel Fernandes, Zahovic, Paulo Almeida, João Pereira, Bruno Aguiar and Geovanni.

Strikers: Simão, Nuno Gomes, Sokota and Karadas

Karadas returns to Benfica's call up

14. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    First half Benfica made a few mistakes and some bad passes, porto took advantage and scored. porto was more dangerous in the 1st half. Second half of the game Benfica dominated. Karadas is clearly taken down in the box and prevented of getting a good shot at goal, and the referee doesn't call the penalty. Petit scores a clean goal and the referee or linesman says the ball doesn't go in when in reality it went in. BENFICA GOT SCREWED OVER AND ROBBED BY THE REFEREE!!! I don't care if I get called a sore looser, Benfica has a huge reason to complain. The referee had an influence in the result. The penalty should of been called even though we will never know if Benfica would of scored the penalty or not, but Benfica did score a clean goal and the referee says the ball doesn't go in, that's BS!

15. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Luis Felipe Vieira letting the league officials have it, and with reason!!! Benfica was robbed big time!!!

16. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    I won't say anything about Karadas being pulled down because that is a judgement call.

What really worries me is the ball had crossed the line. When it first lands it bounces with half of it over the line. When the ball bounces up, Baia with his hand clearly inside and across the line tips the ball back out of the net and against the post and out. Clearly, the video replay shows a goal. But, with the naked eye, the linesman sees it as the ball bouncing off the post.

It's a shame that UEFA or FIFA hasn't implemented Instant Replay for situations like this. The technology is here. The game should've been stopped. The ref should've gone to the 4th linesman with a replay technology readily available and made his decision.

Video Replay would and should only be used to determine wether or not a ball has crossed the line. Do not use it to determine if it's a penalty or fouls or anything else. Just use video replay in the rare instances where a ball is close to crossing the line.

With that out of the way, Porto got their early goal and then proceeded to play their game. Defend, defend, defend. Defend at all costs. Elbows high, shirt pulls, whatever it takes. And, they do this masterfully.

I'll finish with this thought. Today's game takes place in Porto. Benfica is up 1-0. Derlei gets pulled down in the box. No call. Diego launches a bomb that crosses the line but the linesman calls it no goal. Tell me. Tell me if this scenario ever takes place in Dragon Stadium.

Long live Salazaar Da Costa! :rolleyes:

17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I didn't watch the game, I only listen, and I think you got a right to be hungry, but like my uncle says 'Its the system" :confused:

some Porto fans they my agree with you

18. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    The supposed penalty isn´t clear enough imo, but i can accept that but the disalowed goal... i´d like to ask anyone in the stadium if they saw the ball crossing the line, or even better i´d like to see the images and until now they don´t show the ball crossing the line, we can wonder if the ball crossed we can say that Baía punched the ball inside the goal, but the images can´t clarify that, and neither the linesman or the referee could have seen it only Baía and the stweard behind him, c´mon lets be serious.
    FC Porto was better in the first half scored one and could have socred more, Benfica was better on the second half and couldn´t score.

19. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Anyway you slice it, that was a brutal game to watch. The referee destroyed the flow of the game and made some terrible calls, including a missed goal. Video replay in Soccer?????????
    Nuno Gomes is playing awful. Not one decent play from him. It was all Petit, Luisao, Fernandes and at times Simao. I was expecting a better game.....but Porto got the 3 points. Diego is gonna be something special. Bosingwa was strong when he came on and Baia is showing that he is still the best keeper in Portugal.

20. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I agree with your first post about replay in these rare situations. I also think you believe the ball crossed the line. On the replay, you can some green between the goal line and the ball when the ball bounced, then it bounces furthur into the goal, finally Baia hits the ball forward (not sideways) into the post. So technically, porto played better the first half and scored, Benfica played better the second half and scored, final score 0-1 :confused: . Also, it was a penalty, Karadas was clearly grabbed, but we don't know if Benfica would of scored the penalty.

porto would of gotten the calls in their favor if it were at Dragao, maybe even in this game.

21. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    I don´t see the ball crossing the line so i can´t say it was a goal but i can suppose the ball crossed the line, but that isn´t clear enough.
    Yeah right, we would have gotten everything in our stadium even full seats for all of our supporters...

22. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    All the reporters are saying that Karadas was grabbed and taken down in the box, also a second penalty in Benfica's favor was missed when Ricardo Costa handled the ball with his hand, and finally that the ball did cross the line for a goal. It's not just me who saw these things.

23. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I watched this game and I think that the result is a fair one. Porto played well enough to capitalize on SLB's bad passes and McCarthy made them pay with a howitzer of a goal. In terms of the 2 incidents that have everyone in a knot, I can say this: Karadas was being fouled but he was also fouling his defender. Should it have been a penalty? I don't think he was too convincing. Had he not made an effort to get the ball to the net, perhaps, but he still went for the shot and protested when it didn't go his way. With respect to the "phantom" goal, I for one did not see the ball fully cross the line. Baia himself was in the net, but the replays at every angle were inconclusive. To me, it was no goal. After todays game, I can honestly say that Petit is in form and derserves COstinhas spot. He played great and was SLB's best player. Diego played his best game for FCP - he was everywhere and can really handle the ball like a magician. FCP really has a wonderful replacement for Deco in Diego. Great game to watch. Its too bad one side lost, but I felt FCP deserved this one.

24. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I respect your opinion, but I don't agree. Karadas did not foul the defender. Also, the way Benfica played, you have to admit they deserved the tie.