beIN Sports 2018-2019

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by EvanJ, Jun 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    NBC getting the rights would be a bit concerning since the # of televised games to streaming games probably wouldn't be 6 to 4 like it is with the Premier League. More like 2:8 since non-Barca/Madrid matches just don't have enough appeal to make it on NBCSN, and maybe not even Telemundo. Also there is a huge overlap in EPL and La Liga kick-off times.

So I could see another $50 annual charge if we ever want to see games like Valencia v Celta Vigo again should NBC get La Liga rights. :(

2. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Nope. Love La Liga, I get to see 8-10 games every week. Anything that takes from that would really bum me out. Best quality of football in the world and I get to see the vast majority of it. Would be upset if was behind a paywall like Gold.

3. Minduchio

Minduchio Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I tried to watch EPL this weekend, man it was so boring . La Liga quality and fun not even comes close to that rubbish.

unclesox repped this.
  4. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I absolutely get this side of the issue, 100%. But it's interesting in theory, as it relates to the larger soccer on US TV debate right now. La Liga on beIN may not be behind a specific paywall right now, but it is behind an enormous wall in general. beIN and beIN ñ are in so few American homes now its incredible - particularly now with Comcast axing it, perhaps for good.

So in our soccer super-user bubble, the current beIN La Liga deal isn't bad. If we have FIOS or DTV we can watch matches in HD on sets -- and stream matches on Connect (if we have the technical acumen -- I rely on the fact that I'm a digital media professional more for Connect than many work tasks). But if rights went to a real network, matches would be accessible to (no exaggeration) hundreds of millions more in the US. That could make it easier for many to watch outside home, or with better picture quality, etc, but could come at the cost of having the authenticated streaming for low profile matches.

TJNash and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  5. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Hmm. What can La Liga really do?

It seems all the other networks are too crowded out.

6. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I remember that the Bundesliga 12:30 game did not make it on FS2 maybe a handful of times during college football season. So, their college football games may not be that attractive if the Bundesliga is the better option. In general, looking at FS2 programming, no way that Barcelona or Real Madrid would be bumped by anything.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  7. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    It depends entirely on the matchup.

Unless it is El Classico, I dont think Fox will risk its legacy cfb audience for a La Liga massacre of Osasuna or whomever.

I think Turner would be the best option, very little conflict aside from NCAA march madness.

8. Ed Ennui

Ed Ennui Member

Lazio
    United States
    Jul 18, 2006
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody hear any rumors/rumblings about Comcast and BeIn burying the hatchet?

Redbullsnation2012 and unclesox repped this.
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Going back to this subject it seems like both the French and Turkish Leagues are beneficiaries of Italian soccer bolting to ESPN. As expected on Saturday both PSG and Monaco will be shown live while on Sunday there's a couple of other games scheduled too.
    Let's see if they keep it up.

10. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Also, August La Liga schedule is somewhat atypical as there is no 10:15AM games because of hot weather, so that will help others, at least for now.

11. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    http://www.espn.com/soccer/spanish-...united-states-or-canada-in-new-marketing-deal

Based on this, la liga games coming to US in the future. However, more interesting:

LaLiga North America will also handle the sale of media rights on the continent once the deal with beIN SPORTS expires at the conclusion of the 2019-20 season.

Sillman said Tebas has been working on the next media rights deal for the last six to 12 months, so the intention is to sustain that effort.

"Obviously, they want to maximize their distribution, so we'll be moving very quickly with Tebas, getting in the marketplace, and understanding what the broadcast and streaming partners are looking for," Sillman said. "La Liga works with Facebook in India and a bunch of the digital players as well. We'll start to figure out the best way to carve up the rights from the digital and live broadcast in Spanish, English, and French for the U.S. and Canada and start to move fairly fast on putting a strategy together."

---
    So, it looks like goodbye bein, and we could have multiple tv partners.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #62 HomietheClown, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Bein would be in a little bit of a pickle if/when they lose Barca and Real matches.

Could be the end of the road, or they could just be GolTV part duex and focus on South American soccer and European leagues not many people really care about.

13. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Bein has no real leverage, its main attractions were the less popular leagues of a sport that was number 4 in the country overall.

Besides they have strong worldwide channels. US is a need not a want. Only changes if they get some OTHER big non soccer property.

But that's not happening so by Qatar World Cup, I say they now out barring some massive change in their distribution channels.

That new la liga head isn't playing around.

My bet is Turner makes a play for them, THAT will really juice B/R live subscription numbers.

Question is where does that leave Ligue 1?

14. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Another question is if they are losing money and have a zero chance to renew La Liga, is it possible they get out early and sublicense their rights for next season.

15. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Well, I'm not watching La Liga anymore. Have to draw the line somewhere with regards to modern football. It's disgusting to do this. At least I can cancel my TV subscription to that Latino tier to get beIN sports in Spanish.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I agree its a total cash grab and a slap in the face to real La Liga supporters, but we're still talking about just 1 out of 380 matches changing venue. Not exactly an Earth-shattering impact.

17. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    I just have to draw the line somewhere with modern football. This is it for me.

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    LOL yeah, I don't totally blame you. Why not just limit this dumb idea to the super cup? Nobody will know the difference. In fact, they'll probably prefer it because the super cup always involves Barca or Madrid, sometimes both.

Anyway, hope the idea gets shot-down.

19. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It won't. They'll figure it out I'm sure. And I actually think the Super Cup in Morocco was a cool idea, it's a one off normally at a neutral venue so why not.

A one time league match abroad is crap in my opinion. It throws off the balanced fixture list which to me is sacred in proper football leagues - even if it's just one club losing one home match. I think this is an extreme move when La Liga could help themselves internationally in so many other ways... They're starting to address the US rights change. But they also need to make the playing field more equitable for everyone other than Barca and Madrid so there's more appealing matches for the world to enjoy. Also tighten up the branding and identity a bit, something they're working on but so far behind the Premier League.

Redbullsnation2012 and BocaFan repped this.
  20. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    NFL is playing overseas and no one is questioning that or the integrity of the game. All the empty stadiums in Spain make this reasonable. You have games like Getafe-Real Madrid and Espanyol-Barcelona in half empty stadiums and those games are in Madrid and Barcelona. You have teams playing games away from home, not in their stadiums, or behind closed doors all the time. This isn't much different.

NaBUru38 repped this.
  21. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    And fill up your stadiums. Tebas and their ilk are short sighted. They should be making tickets cheap. TV revenue will increase if stadiums are packed with passionate supporters. But go watch Levante or Getafe with half empty stadiums. Yet the problem will be helped by making the experience even less authentic and sending a game abroad. I swear these people don't think beyond the cash presented in the moment. What is worse? A lot of people in Spain seem to be glad about this.

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  22. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Comparing franchises to football clubs. Single entities to a league with team that brands itself as more than club because they had to be a community to have their culture survive under fascist oppression. If you can't see that, you have missed out on the essence of football imo. This whole sport is jumping the shark right now with enslaved stadium world cups, league games abroad, overly priced tickets.

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Their schedule didn't have balance to begin with.

What? :confused:

24. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    LOL, NFL fans and media do that all the time.

Also now that there are more games in London, it's sort of worked itself out in terms of fairness. I think everyone's played at least one game overseas. And the NFL is completely imbalanced in general. Not enough games to play everyone, weighted opponents based on standings, rotation. It's a mess anyway. And the title isn't exclusively determined by the regular season.

25. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    You have Tottenham playing at Wembley, Shaktar Donetsk playing their home games many miles from home, Legia and many other teams forced by UEFA to play in an empty stadium. It happens all the time and everywhere. Why is the sense of the community lost if a team plays one game in another country. If they had packed stadiums or thought this would be an issue with their suuporters, they wouldn't have done it.