Beckham's Ownership Move

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by Skippysasquirrel, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Star Tribune, March 26 2015 article

4four4 repped this.
  2. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    How did you know that?

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #903 falvo, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    In 2007, the league was nowhere near where it is today. Beckham's signing and coming into the league I'm sure helped the game in this country immensely. I think other expansion teams have come in solely because of the leagues success triggered by David's signing. I know MLS and Garber wanted Beckham back in 07 and that is why they virtually gave him an expansion franchise when he initially signed but is that still the case? I mean I know they wanted him but given MLS current status, do they still want or care to have him around and have this (expansion team) thing lingering on? Would they rather just see him throw in the towel? Just curious to know what people think about that....

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I've warned about thread dumping before.

Links without referring comments will be deleted.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My apologies I didn't realize that was a rule. I just found the link and I thought I did post a comment and because its ok in the European threads, and I was told do post links, I thought it would be ok here too. Apologies once again.

Anyway, its good to see Beckham getting his expansion team going.

6. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    No problem
    This would have been enough.

I'll relink for you:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/17/david-beckham-miami-mls-stadium

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thanks. When I saw this post and judging by the comments in the thread, I didn't think this thing would ever get done. I'm glad at least they are going ahead with it. This actually seems like good news by comparison to prior events....:thumbsup:

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  9. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would be Don Garber's take on the restriction from the Marlins Park site? For the most part the scheduling seems to be the main problem, MLS games are usually mainly played during the weekends, and the Marlins say that they will control scheduling, they usually have 3 day series. How did the Miami politicians let this happen, how the hell did they put something so important in the contract like that? i feel like maybe in 2009 MLS wasnt a big deal to the politicians, or that soccer would never over power baseball, now that they have a chance to get a team they realized they effed up.

In my honest opinion there is more trouble here fro the scheduling especially if we are to play champions league, and US open cup games on weekdays as well. Damn, how much I wish the Marlins were moved to las vegas when we had the chance, I dislike baseball, but i watch it cuz its miami, but with an owner like that, I cant begin to express how much i hate that organization and the owner

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So anyone have a better idea (now) more or less of when Beckham's Miami team will begin playing?

11. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Assuming the reports are true about the Marlins contract language, I think the advertisement/sponsor/naming rights restrictions are the #1 problem.

Scheduling would be #2, IMO. MLB schedules are fixed. Only rainouts and playoffs would cause last minute changes. The biggest potential problem would be "other" events, and whether the Marlins could grab a day for a concert or something, and tell MLS too bad.

12. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    weather the contract stipulations are true or not, there must be a good reason as to why theyre moving forward with this. if things were so strict regarding the site, i doubt Becks and Co. would settle for this. there must be an upside to the site.

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know anymore, sounds like the city didn't even know the restrictions existed. I wonder if Beckham knew. Still haven't heard concretely how iron tight those restrictions are.

14. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Becks team of lawyers or whoever is in charge of looking at the contract and oversee negotiations should have brought up all the important details before settling for this site. Theres no way they couldve overlooked that.

however, lets all remember that nothing is set on stone yet. legally they can still move to another site for any number of reasons last i checked.

15. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets hope there is a possibility of a negotiation, because with those restriction this thing will not get off the ground. Hopefully we will have news by tomorrow. This wait is killing me. I want my team, my colors, and name.

16. Strikermansteve

Feb 10, 2012
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Took my son up to Orlando for OC vs. Columbus Saturday. Incredible experience, but, yeah, reminded me that 14 years is an awfully long time to wait for MLS back in SoFla. If we ever do get a team down here, it could easily turn into a SEA-POR situation.

Let's get it going....

Lucho305 repped this.
  17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States