Beckham - is he really that good?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Reycd, May 6, 2003.

1. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003

Al right, You have a point. It's true I am a rookie (at this forum). But not about soccer (the name which is only used by the US...and Canada too). So lets have some respect for the game and call it its real name: Football.

So lets break down your views:

First lets scratch all your insults Jerkoff, you probably needed to vent your frustration to the fact that you are moron and are probably inlove with Pitt. That said, lets move on.

Your right Beckham has inherited the status of "Icon", whether he deserves it or not. The media, particularily the British media has made him out to be some sort of Demi-God or something...I can understand why, the Premiership has grown by leaps and bounds these last ten years, and they need their "Heroes" to keep growing. Beckham, Owen and now the new kid Rooney all have the "Tag" on them.

I can compare the hero thing to US basketball in the mid eighties. Remember that era? Thats when Jordan came on to the scene. before him you had your stars...you know who I'm talking about, but because of him US basketball EXPLODED, Why? Because the Media made Jordan a Demi-God, the league jumped on the bandwagon and look at US Hoops today.....(I'm not saying the Jordan didn't deserve it, he most certainly did and does)

So the same thing is happening to the Premiership, and good for them, England has a great league, and great fans. It is only right that English Football be in the top three in the World. After all, they did invent the sport...

Getting back to Beckham, nobody has disagreed on the fact that he is a Huge International Star, on the contrary everybody agrees. The original question was: Is he as good as he seems? the answer is NO. You know it and I know it. Is it unfair to him? YES, sorry but life is not fair...but he certainly is reaping the benefits, 15 million a year....thats not bad.

So without all the BS on the why's and How's of his fame. Answer the original question, strait up. And spare us all your views on life and your love for Brad Pitt. Answer the question:

Beckham...Is he really that good?

2. RIO17

RIO17 New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Soon to be Denver,CO
    [​IMG]

If you're trying to be funny, you are failing miserably. Come back when you can think of something more original.

- Joe

3. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Beckham deserves a lot of credit for his mental fortitude after France '98. The professionalism he's shown and the comeback, including being an inspirational captain of the England squad, has shown that even if he isn't the best midfielder in the world, he's one of the best people around the game. "Devoted father", and the rest of his goodie-goodie image make him a positive role model for kids all over the world. (we get Allen Iverson and Keyshawn Johnson as our role models in the United States :rolleyes: )

So what if Zidane can run circles around him - who can stop Zidane? So what if Roberto Carlos can run faster than him - not many can keep up with him either.

There are plenty of gifted footballers out there, and Beckham certainly has his own unique qualities that he brings to a team. People are just finding ways to put him down now, rather than anything he's done or not done. That's kinda sad.

4. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    I could name a hell of alot of better mid fielders in the premiership alone, forget the world. To even mention beckham in that way shows how unbelivebley out of control his hype has become. Alex Fergussons even seen fit to drop him for some of Manchester Uniteds biggest most vital games of the season, not just Real, in favour of a striker playing out of position, what does that tell you?

5. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That you have a reading comprehension problem.

Becks was injured and therefore didn't start the Arsenal match (he was warming up but then Giggs equalized, so he wasn't risked). So, he didn't play well in the first Real game against Carlos, so he didn't start that game either. But then he came on and scored two goals.

You don't have to talk David Beckham down to make other players seem better, or do you?

6. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    What about the Newcastle game? There was one he wasn't injured for, and I'm not talking him down, I'm telling the truth. Beckham is an above average premiership mid fielder, that's what he is. There are dozens better in the premiership alone, forgetting the world, and many many worse. Footballing terms alone, that's what he is.

7. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Again, you're completely wrong. He's regarded as a very good player, but not a great one. You really need to get a handle on the fact that the cause of his fame is above and beyond what he's achieved on the field.
    Saying that though, he does have a talismanic effect on the England team similar to Paul Gascoigne in the 90s or maybe Keegan in the 70s/80s.

15 million is not his club salary. In terms of a basic wage there are loads of better paid players than Beckham, he just makes a fortune in endorsements.

depends what you mean by "as good as he seems?" Taken literally the answer would have to be yes, as he is as good a player as he looks like he is (and so is every other player in the world).
    Taken as "is he as good as people claim he is?" then you have to ask who these people making claims are, and what are they claiming.
    there seem to be far more people (on here anyway) who think he's rubbish than there are saying he's one of the best in the world. Face it, if the guy was available on a free there'd be far more interest among the world's top clubs than you'd expect for some who was just an "above average" midfielder.

8. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham sucks.

9. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    RichardL, I agree with you one hundred percent. But it is very unfair to cut up my response like you did. My response and explanation (To the Jerk, not you) is far more complete.

10. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I already said what I think about Becks and his quality as a player nor did I give you a view on life (I must say yours seems pretty limited since you are spending all of your time thinking up not so clever insults to try and spew at me) but you not understanding this proves you either didn't fully read and/or fully understand my first post to start with.

As for you implying that I have a thing for Pitt you are showing how stupid you really are since I only even brought up him and his wife because fame wise they are on the level of the Beckhams in terms of World profile.

On top of that you don't know me or how I live my life. The fact that I have banged more chicks in the past 3 years than I would guess you have even known in your entire life puts my sexual prefrence very well at ease here bro. Maybe it's you that has sexuality issues since you are the one pointing the finger at someone else, are you a little upset because you are a closet pole smoker? Maybe your hate towards Beckham is you feeling gulity over wanting to give him a hummer.

If you had a brain and you understood my use of the Pitts as a couple to comapre to the Beckham's in terms of status you wouldn't be making comments like the ones you are making, or maybe you do understand and you just being an a$$, but I could be giving you more credit than your worth by saying you understand anything going on here. Oh and using the NBA's Jordan marketing as the reason the league is so well know today and saying Beckham's effect on the EPL is the same is way off base the EPL was huge before Beckham became a pop star for whatever reason, and was reguarded as one of the top 3 leages in the World for years before he was a featured attraction for their marketing hounds, as oppose to the NBA which was big to start with and the best Basketball leage in the World even then but who's whole foundation from the start of the Jordan era to the end of it was based on the money he brought in to the league from TV, endorsments, and ticket sales.

Bottom line if Becks goes to Madrid or someplace else other than the EPL they will still draw the same money as a league as oppose to the NBA who everytime MJ retires goes into a downturn and has sagging attendence and TV numbers. I mean Beckham is well know and doesn't hurt the money the league makes but the EPL or even Man U for that matter doesn't rely on him as the sole source of income the way the NBA does with Jordan

Oh and the Aussies call football soccer as well, a few countries call it Soccer these days as not to confuse if with Gridiron football or Aussie rules football.

The word soccer comes from England in the early 1900's when a player who was a dual sport star in his time at football and rugby was asked if he prefered "rugger" which was rugby or "soccer" which was assocation football and a common nickname at the time I may add. So with respect to the game know it's history before souting off out of your a$$.

If you were calling me "The Jerk" in your other posts to RichardL you were A) forgetting the OFF you used to say how you felt about me before, or B) just calling me a jerk and if that was the case do I have to remind you that you were the one who started hurling insults my way when I have never spoken a word to you in the past.

BTW troll wasn't name calling for the sake of it if I was going to do that I can come up with better stuff, it's what BS(Big Soccer) posters call people like yourself who want to start arguments with others, as in trolling along till you get a bite like a fisherman. When someone on BS calls you a flamer or says flame on they are also refering to trolling,hope that clears things lingo wise up for you rook.

Now if someone calls you a flamer while your not on BS then I am sorry you have your own issues to deal with in your personal life and I hope I don't have to explain why they are calling you that outside the BS community.

11. Thriller

Thriller New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Following one step b
    No, after those South Americans players, watching Ronaldo or even the young and promised future star Robihno, Beckham never impress me so much.

12. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    OK Jerkoff....you win. Man! You really have some issues don't you? Just the fact that you actually defended your Sexual Orientation, says alot to all of us....LOL. Relax and have a Beer Dude.....Jeez!
    ..............Say Hi to Brad for me.......

13. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have issues?

Your the one who started this whole thing in the first place, you insisting that because I mentioned someones name that means I am in love with them is really immature(really how old are you anyway?) and so is your little attempt at getting the last word with the Say Hi to Brad comment.

If anything you seem to be the one who is really concerned with Brad Pitt because you keep bringing him up in the conversation, why don't you just grow up and let it go?

What says a lot to us all is the way you act on these boards and it points to you being an a$$hole and maybe even and angry repressed closet ************, since you seem to have the unhealty Beckham hating obsession which I think is based on your anger over being attracted to him and the weird need to bring up Brad Pitt everytime you respond to me just because I used the example of him and his wife as the American version of the Beckham's in terms of fame and being a high profile couple.

So piss off you immature little twat and come back when you have grown up and can from a vaild argument insted of resorting to worn out gay jokes and silly name calling.

14. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    LOL......you really need help.

....have a nice day!

15. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Bekham is a very good player and he could be in the top 10. But He isn't in the same level of, for example, Zidane. I think that VanNistelroy is more important for the Manchester than Beckham.

These are the last winners of the Golden ball (voted by the journalists) and Fifa Wold Player (Voted by all the National teams managers around the world)

- Fifa world player - Ronaldo
    - Golden Ball - Ronaldo

- FWP - Figo
    - GB - Michael Owen

- FWP - Zidane
    - GB - Figo

- FWP -Rivaldo
    - GB - Rivaldo

- FWP -Zidane
    - GB - Zidane

- FWP - Ronaldo
    - GB - Ronaldo

- FWP - Ronaldo
    - GB - Ronaldo

As you can see Beckham hasn't won any year.

16. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    I love the guy in Fight Club.

17. Duuuuude

Duuuuude New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    Neverland Ranch
    I think Fight Club was the best movie for Ed Norton and Brad Pitt.

Ed Norton was pretty good in 25th Hour too.

18. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    American History X was awesome too.

19. TVENTURA

TVENTURA New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    I agree, those free kicks against Juventus on tuesday were horrible. better off let Figo or Zidane have a go at it.

20. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Thats the thing with Roberto Carlos, his free kicks are either in the net or horribly off target, somewhere way up in the crowd. Beckham is much more consistent.

21. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    1st) No-one (as has been repeated endlessly) is seriously saying that he actually is on the same level as Zidane.

And about RVN. Rubbish, he's a good frontman. A few seasons ago, Andy Cole got shed loads of goals for them. I'm not comparing RVN to Cole for one second, but I really think his input (whilst obviously large) is still overrated.

As there's only 5 different names on the list, that leaves a hell of a lot of incredibly good players off that wonderful list. Again, I can't remember anyone of any note seriously saying that he's the same as Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Figo and Zidane.
    And let's not forget, there are other placings. Not just first.

22. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly think the most important player to Man U is Paul Scholes.

23. pmufc

pmufc New Member

May 4, 2003
    Beckham was Fifa World Player of the year runner up twice, in 2000 and 2002. He garnered the most votes last season, more than Figo or Raul but not as many 1st place votes, more 2nd and 3rd place votes

24. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    :confused:

25. SebastianK

SebastianK Member

Apr 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ehhh....Beckham's average. He has okay skills, but is a little week on defence and only scores on penalties. More of football's fashion model than anything else really.

I don't think he should be England's captain. Aside from his playing skills, I personally just don't think he's mature enough or ready enough for the role. My nods for captain would go to either Sheringham or Heskey.

But in the end....feel bad for Nicky Butt. I mean, his name is Butt for God's sake!.

Sebastian