Beckham - is he really that good?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Reycd, May 6, 2003.

1. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti
    Just want to know what u guys think about him.

I personally think he is overrated, think he has good skills as a player but he is lacking something to be a great player, think hes better playing as a support role than as the teams star

2. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    Beckham.......more like Crapham.......Overated, Overated, Overated.......

I hope he goes to REAL.....So he can get some schooling by some really good world class midfielders....Figo and Zidane. Hes good for one thing only. Freekicks. But Real Have three excellent Free kickers: R. Carlos, Figo and Zidane.... even Raul is pretty decent at Free Kicks.

So to all you Crapham fans....maybe its better that he stays at Manchester U....that is of course if Sir Alex doesnt kill him first......

3. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti

LOL not a very big fan of bechkam are u, Lol

4. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to be in the "Beckham is overrated" group. However I've changed my stance, because:

1. Beckham's stock has changed. People generally aren't considering him amongst the worlds best anymore.

2. I previously underestimated Beckham's impact on a game. Yes, his skills are a bit one dimensional and yes, he does not take over games like players such as Zidane, Figo, Ballack, etc. do. However, he is second to none with his right foot and his free kicks and crosses are scintilating and are very often game breakers. The value Beckham's right foot brings to ManU and England are inmesurable. If he doesn't get a goal from a free kick or an assist from one of his pin-point crosses (both are common), the very threat of him doing so keeps opposing defenses honest and gives extra confidence to his team.

3. Beckham is a really nice guy and he works his butt off and he is a definate leader. These are qualities that are often underestimated.

4. A really cool movie has his name in the title :)

5. He has expressed interest in playing in the US someday, potentially a boon for MLS (even if it's in the twilight of Beckham's career) :)

5. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti
    2. I previously underestimated Beckham's impact on a game. Yes, his skills are a bit one dimensional and yes, he does not take over games like players such as Zidane, Figo, Ballack, etc. do. However, he is second to none with his right foot and his free kicks and crosses are scintilating and are very often game breakers. The value Beckham's right foot brings to ManU and England are inmesurable. If he doesn't get a goal from a free kick or an assist from one of his pin-point crosses (both are common), the very threat of him doing so keeps opposing defenses honest and gives extra confidence to his team.

That is a very good point, that opposing teams view him as a threat and include him in their defensive scheme to keep his "right foot" under control

6. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham still sucks.

7. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti

LOL

8. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To all who claim Beckham is overrated, please take a moment to try to think of anyone who is claiming he is some kind of all-time great player. Hmm, suddenly it's not so simple is it?

I think you are perhaps confusing the fact that he is the world's most famous player with claims that he is the world's best.

to paraphase a reply I gave a mere day or so ago...

[irate Beckham hater]Beckham's sooo overrated. He may be a decent player, but if it wasn't for him playing for one of the biggest, most famous, and most successful clubs in the world, his pin-up looks and his pop star wife there's no way he'd get so much attention[/irate Beckham hater]

no shit.

9. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    GoHawks4...You really nailed it on the head.....thats the best description ive ever heard of Crapham.........

10. RIO17

RIO17 New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Soon to be Denver,CO
    Some of you really have a lot of growing up to do on this forum.

Making up stupid, insulting names for Beckham must be the highlight of the day for some of you that are bored and have nothing better to do.

Beckham isn't the best player in the world, and he doesn't command the field like other players such as Zidane, but he still contributes a great deal to both Manchester United and the English national team.

His presence on the field is strong and he is simply a professional player that plays well and produces results. Just because the media overhypes him doesn't mean that Beckham deserves to be put down so much.

Give the man a break, he's just a good player, maybe not the best, but he is dedicated and hardworking, and that earns my respect.

- Joe

11. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    It's really hard to say.. The hype surrounding Beckham is too big for any player, even Ronaldo or Zidane. He's basically made out to be a god. However, most people who think he sucks just say so because he can't jusitify his hype, when in reality he is a pretty good player. His crosses are spectacular and he can take free kicks better than anybody, including Roberto Carlos.

12. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    roberto carlos free kicks suck

13. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    I agree with Richard and Joe!

14. RIO17

RIO17 New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Soon to be Denver,CO
    I have many videos of Roberto Carlos scoring from free kicks that show how horribly wrong you are

- Joe

15. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    I think hes joking Joe!

16. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    no im not
    i can get many videos of his shots going all over the place into the stands the wall or even worse missing the wall and the goal posts
    hes got power i give him that
    but accuracy isnt one of his strong points

zidane and figo are the best free kickers takers in real

17. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Ok valid points, although he's overrated I dont think his fk's suck

18. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham sucks.

19. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does he take a crap with you so far up his ass? As a player for ManUre, he sucks, I hate him, I wish his wife would die of cancer. As a player for England's MNT, I love him, his free kicks, crosses, and basically anything involving his right foot is the football reincarnation of Christ himself. Beckham and Bergkamp on the same team would absolutely rock the casbah.

Vive le AFC!

OPBipolar :D

20. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am a former Becks hater but I really can't be spiteful anymore just because more and more I am impressed with his class on and off the pitch.

Do I think he is overrated by the media yes, do I think he is underated by people who think they know the game because they watch a few CL games on ESPN yes.

He does have his limits as a player and so does everyone else to some extent, the fact he knows what his faluts are and plays to his strenghts is one thing I respect about him, he doesn't risk loosing the ball while doing things he is unsure of.

I think most of the BS crowd who rates Beckham in the gutter is because here in America we are so use to the most well known sports stars being the very best at what they do it's hard to fathom somone being as famous as Beckham in the sports World while not being able to turn out single handed game turning feats night in and night out Like Joradn on the basketball court or Berry Bonds in baseball who are rated by many as the very best ever to play their respective sports.

Most of Americans fans while not as hardcore and rough on their own players as say the Serie A fans they are the first to expect great things form big names everytime they play because we are as a Country are so stat crazy and ready to pass off the title of "MVP" or "the next insert name of retired great here" to who ever is the best on the day we get consumed with trying to figure out who the very best player is without looking at the other top quality players who are not the greatest ever but still very very good.

My verdict on Becks is that he's great at what he is expected to do and vital to his team(s). Are thre better players of course, even on Man U I rate Scholes as a better midfeild player but that doesn't mean because Becks has a higher profile in the media hes the better player.

Look at it from this perspective there are famous people here in the States, say actors who are more famous for just being good looking and cool then other actors who are great at what they do but less know becsuae they don't catch the eye for what ever reason.

A perfect example of this would be Brad Pitt and Jen Aniston(the American version of the Beckham's) neither are really great actors, good at best, but they are World famous becuase of their almost perfect looks and "great style". Then you have a guy like Ed Norton who is a great actor but you could pass him on the street like anyone else and not know who he was even though he is maybe the best film actor of his generation.

21. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    This about covers it. It's become so fashionable to call him overrated that he's actually become underrated.
    Not to get too off topic, but I actually think both actors are underrated because of their looks and celebrity status. Pitt is one of the better actors of his generation (though not nearly as good as Norton, of course). Sure, he's done crap movies ("Meet Joe Black") but he's shown to be more than capable and versatile actor as long as he's taking the right roles ("Seven", "Fight Club").
    And Aniston actually has a solid, if not commercially successful, film career outside of "Friends". She received critical praise for her role in "The Good Girl" and has made good choices in picking scripts.

22. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Beckham, great at what he does, but not the best mid fielder at his club let alone best player in the world. Can't deny he's an excellent player, but some way short of world class acts like Zidane and co.

23. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He is overrated by his fans, but underrated by real soccer fans. He is nowhere near Zidane, Figo, Roanldo, Rivaldo, or even Henry, but he does have two important assets -- freekicks and crosses. They are very dangerious in time of need.

24. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    A perfect example of this would be Brad Pitt and Jen Aniston(the American version of the Beckham's) neither are really great actors, good at best, but they are World famous becuase of their almost perfect looks and "great style". Then you have a guy like Ed Norton who is a great actor but you could pass him on the street like anyone else and not know who he was even though he is maybe the best film actor of his generation. [/B][/QUOTE]

What the ****************** are you talking about? Who the hell gives a *************** about fu**ing actors. This is about futball. And by the way when did this become a political discussion? Who the hell cares about the states, basketball or baseball? Talk about Futball Jerkoff....Beckham still sucks though, lets not forget that.

25. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There were no politics in my discussion. I compaed two CULTURES and how they expect things from their famous sport stars.

Being as there is no soccer star in the US nearly as famous as Beckham I had to use other examples like actors and people who play different sports.

If you had a brain and weren't being a troll you would understand this is needed to explain part of the Beckham issue because so much of the "does he suck or not" question is rooted in his icon status that moves past football and more onto his media hype and if it is justified, the same as actors and people who play other sports.

The question really should be what exactly is Beckahm so famous for?, .

A word to the wise I would watch what you say because BS doesn't put up with little dip$hits like you for long, and since I can see you have only a few posts to your credit and I would bet most of them have been over the past few days since you seem to have just poped up on these boards stick to a fourm where you can talk about things in your range of knowledge which seems very limited by the way.

Oh and don't try to sound cool by saying futball it makes you look dumber than most of the other crap you write. I am not going to get in to it with you on these boards but know your limits and come back when you have some thing of worth to say rookie.