Beat vs Red Stars - June 19, 7 PM

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by DemitriMaximoffX, Jun 15, 2010.

1. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Lauletta dropped this bomb today:

So, we're going to be without Solo, McNeill, Rasumussen, Bachmann, and Aluko at the very least? By my count that leaves us with sixteen healthy players (hopefully) with three of those being keepers. Going to be really interesting to see how we line up.

2. pokey55

pokey55 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I was surprised to read that too; I suspect that's why the rumor of Solo not signing until after she went to the WC got started. She was planning to go for this sponsor thing. I think that's kind of crappy honestly but whatever. I think this could be a tough game; after the first bit of last weeks game, I actually thought the Red Stars looked pretty decent.

3. Cupidcat

Cupidcat Member

Feb 20, 2010
    germany
    Club:
    --other--

Sorry to say it again but that is woman's soccer and until things change in the minds of officals ( and players ) worldwide it is going to remain a third-rate sport.

4. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was probably in her contract that she had to go.

5. pokey55

pokey55 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I'm sure it was but I think it says something that she chose a sponsor over the league. It's a good thing most of the other players found ways to sign contracts with sponsors that allow them to actually, you know, play in the league games.

Whole scheme of things is it a big deal? Maybe. Considering Atlanta hasn't won a game and is trying to bring in 7 new players, I feel like this would be an important weekend to get something (anything) back on track for them.

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Zerboni cleared to play (I'm guessing no)? And I have no idea who is still on the roster as the transaction page & roster page are a mess and don't agree.

[LINEUP-4-3-3]Miyama, Yamaguchi, Ocampo, Chalu, Blank, Kerr, Larkin, Bishop, Ellertson, Robinson, Maron[/LINEUP-4-3-3]

And yes, I realize Miyama isn't a forward. But O'Sullivan seems to love his 4-3-3 and this gets the "best" remaining players on the field. If Zerboni is cleared, I start her instead of Kerr. Were I coaching, I'd go w/ a 4-4-2 with Chalu & Blank in the middle, Miyama and Kerr (unless Zerboni is ready) on the wings. Yamaguchi & 1 one of Nolin or Ocampo up top.

It might not so much be b/c "women's soccer remains a third-rate sport" and more about the summer league schedule for WPS vs the standard fall/winter league of non-Scandinavia Europe. I'd be interested to know if any of the players in Sweden with the same sponsors are missing any games during the WC. heading to rivalry to inquire

7. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Considering she played extensive minutes against Chicago a few weeks ago, why wouldn't she be?

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd forgotten that she'd played vs CRS. My bad. I like her energy on the right better than I like Kerr. But I've yet to be convinced by Kerr so she'd have to have a really good game to change my mind.

9. kittenbiscuits

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This was committed to before the season started. Before she was part of the beat. The way contracts go, you can't duck out last minute because you switched teams and they'd really like you to play this weekend without some serious consequences. It is unfortunate that it falls when it does and when the other players have been called up for national team duty.

To swing her going to the WC I'd bet it is her Nike sponsorship. If i was an athlete playing in a league where I don't particularly get paid much I am not going to breach my Nike contract.

Its probably a boon for the league as well, as I am sure Solo and McNeil will talk about WPS to soccer fans who probably don't know it exists.

10. pokey55

pokey55 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I know it was agreed to prior to her joining the Beat; I would be just as disappointed if she were still part of the Athletica. Like I said I guess it's a good thing the other players (some of whom also have high profile contracts) were able to work out contracts that allow them to play.

And the boon for the league will be absolutely zero. No one in SA right now gives a crap about some crummy WPS league that the players can't even make a priority. I would dare say the bigger boon might involve being here, playing in the game, putting people in seats. There are tons of people in Atlanta who probably don't know this team exists, so if Solo and McNeil want to promote the league, there's a good start. People in the area who might actually buy tickets.

11. Cupidcat

Cupidcat Member

Feb 20, 2010
    germany
    Club:
    --other--
    Quote!
    "To swing her going to the WC I'd bet it is her Nike sponsorship. If i was an athlete playing in a league where I don't particularly get paid much I am not going to breach my Nike contract. "

That is a funny comment because if there was no league, there would be no interest from Nike, or anyone else, for that matter to pay sponsorship money!

12. kittenbiscuits

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    she does still play for the best ranked national women's team. so yeah, there's still interest. She's actually been with Nike for a while iirc. Similar to the way Gatorade has been with Abby since before the league started.
    national team players have more visibility clout, which is why if you recall Abby's G2 commercial bit, she was in US gear not Freedom gear.

13. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Just remember, sponsorship money is what helps a lot of players make enough to even bother playing in this league. WPS is not a charity nor is it the only women's league out there.

Get a grip. It's one match. Not half the season.

14. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blank looks like she won't be playing either.

That means 7 starters are out. Ouch.

15. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Ugh. Couldn't we have had better timing and gotten Klein in the deal a week earlier?

I don't like this trade in the least. The Whitworth part of the deal was pretty obvious when Davis went down with the ACL injury, but the draft pick shedding bugs me to no end. We basically gave away what likely will be the #1 pick in the draft on the assumption that the group we've brought together is going to want to stay together for more than a season. If they don't, how are we going to rebuild? First round picks in the college draft are like gold and at the very least could add depth to what, on paper, still looks like a thin squad on top-flight talent past the first XI.

I may keel over if Chicago now wins the Alex Morgan sweepstakes with our pick and gets to trot out a Nogueira-Morgan frontline. Grr...

17. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could this have been the only way Atlanta could get rid of her (and contract)?
    (former #1 GK now #3)

18. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    I wonder if Hope Solo and Kia McNeill went to US v Slovenia match...I don't think TV cameras showed them...

19. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

20. Soccer-Fan-1

Soccer-Fan-1 New Member

May 18, 2010
    That is not what I heard...

21. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure how long ago the South African trip was planned, but imagine quite awhile, considering what it involves. From the Atlanta Beat press release:

"Solo and defender Kia McNeill are away in South Africa on a humanitarian mission related to the World Cup.

“We are working with Team Exchange which is a partnership for Grassroot Soccer in Soweto, South Africa and The Grassroot Project in Washington, D.C.

The Team Up Campaign aims to unite 10 DC middle school youth with 10 South African youth on a global HIV\AIDS awareness project during the 2010 World Cup. Team Up has worked with Grassroot Soccer interns, coaches, and staff to design a 9 day curriculum. Each morning the students will participate in a modified Skills holiday camp, and each afternoon they will have a field trip. The afternoon cultural field visits will help to strengthen the bonds formed between these youth, encourage them to design action plans together to fight AIDS in both of their communities, and contextualize their knowledge about HIV\AIDS, social inequality, and youth empowerment. Throughout the week, DC and Soweto coaches will help the youth to synthesize what they are learning into a culminating presentation at the weeks end. To celebrate the completion of the program, all 20 students will attend a World Cup game together."

22. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Bizarre trade for a 2nd-rate GK at best. Giving up a 2011 1st-rounder for a 2012 1st-rounder? Bizarre.

If the season ended today, ATL would have the 1st overall pick. I don't see ATL finishing in the top 4, which means CHI will get a bonanza with this pick. As I see it, the top 3 draftees for 2011 in no particular order are Alex Morgan, Lauren Fowlkes, & Christen Press. 2012 will be a deeper year, but who knows where ATL will be picking then? this year, it's almost certain that ATL will finish in the bottom 3.

ATL's buffoonery continues at the top. To date, Whitworth has cost them THREE 1st-round picks.

Whitworth has the distinction of being traded twice for a total of FOUR 1st-round draft picks. Not bad for a backup GK.

23. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way this trade makes any sense at all is if Whitworth and Maron both had guaranteed contracts and could not be released without being traded.

24. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Then the idiocy continues. Why would you guarantee this particular GK's contract to begin with?

If $$$ were the issue, then bite the bullet & accept the 2012 4th-rounder, or less, as compensation. Giving up the 2011 1st-rounder is a disaster in the making, as ATL, as I see it, are in no position to compete for a top-4 finish this season.

BTW, thanks to the buffoons at the top, the trade for Whitworth netted Old Pride two 1st-round starters in Ali Riley & Becky Edwards this season. In addition, for 2011, ATL are essentially giving up the chance to draft Morgan, Fowlkes, or Press because they made a mistake on Whitworth.

"Let's make another dumb trade to rectify our previous dumb trade". ATL's management should be fired ASAP.

25. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    The Beat aren't going to have room to really draft any 2011 players.

2011 projected roster ..........

Forward:
    Ramona Bachman
    Eniola Aluko
    Johanna Rasmussen
    Monica Ocampo
    Amanda Cinalli (developmental player in 2011)

Midfield:
    Lori Chalupny
    Angie Kerr
    Aya Miyama
    Mami Yamaguchi (M/F)
    Tobin Heath
    McCall Zerboni
    Rebecca Nolin (developmental player in 2011)
    Carolyn Blank (developmental player in 2011)

Defense:
    Tina Ellertson
    Kia McNeill
    Leigh Ann Robinson
    Stacy Bishop
    Katie Larkin
    Manya Makoski (D/M)

Goalkeeper:
    Hope Solo
    Brett Maron
    Malori Lofton-Malachi (development player in 2011)

As you can tell, that's 22 players right there.
    Let's just say they can't afford to re-sign Chalupny.
    They still have a strong midfield without her.
    Either way you slice it, this team doesn't have much room for any rookies next year. That's why they traded the 2011 draft picks for 2012. They are probably going to try to keep this roster shown up above intact for one more year, and then financially may have to let a couple higher-priced players go before the 2012 season, where those extra 2012 draft picks will come in handy by then. Heck, Christen Press (from Stanford) might not even make this roster above. Maybe as a developmental player, but probably not in the Top 18 players on the roster (unless Ocampo leaves, who Press is arguably as good or better than anyways). The 2011 rookie draft class out of college is weak. 2012 will be better. Nothing will be better than the 2010 draft class though. That class was special. Tobin Heath could be special if she stays healthy.