Beasley considers leaving PSV

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by johan derksen, Feb 21, 2006.

1. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed 100%. DMB does not fall over the ball anywhere near as much as C. Ronaldo does.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point.

At Everton, DMB would at least challenge Kilbane for the starting role. And at Fulham, he'd definitely start. He wouldn't put Boa Morte on the bench, he'd just move him to a more central role. Fulham often start Radzinski or Legwinski in the midfield.

3. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    not to highjack, but looking great while accomplishing very little is not big time soccer.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Last year, PSV was stronger up the middle with van Bommel (Eredivisie Player of the Year, as has been mentioned), Cocu, Vogel and Volanthen. Three of this foursome had left the team in the offseason.

In 2,005-06 year, the team's strength seems to be more on the wings with Aisatti, Culina, Afellay and Kone. All four of them have been brought up to the team this year and Hiddink obviously isn't using the 2,004-05 tactics with the different set of players.

BTW, having seen most of PSV highlights this season, I'd rather play Lamey as a left winger than Beasley. As to other teams, last week Vitesse's Frankel, another leftsided wingback, was making Theo Lucius look ridiculous. Could DMB do that? I strongly doubt it.

5. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Well, it's certainly over the top, but I don't know about "baiting". Saying Beasley's better than C. Ronoldo at this point is arguably equally over the top. Most conversations on Bigsoccer, like this one, go over top at both extremes, with the vast majority of poster in the middle. That's to be expected and is neither good nor bad. In any case, it's hardly a cause for concern or reason to bring up the "trolling" argument.

6. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    If we're going to be precise about Beasley, his quickness is a greater physical asset than his speed. His defensive excellence isn't so much about tracking back as it is his about pressuring the ball and bursting into passing lanes. He creates dangerous turnovers.

The phrase "technical ability" is also a blanket statement that covers a great many things. He doesn't get enough credit for his dribbling ability, since people seem to think he does it on quickness alone. (If that were the case, so would Brian West.) OTOH, his crossing and shooting, while much improved from five years ago, are still below average.

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    1-yeah, it could be trolling... to YOU

to the person who uses such awful terrible hideous initials, it could just be a throwaway smart alecky joke

2-whether he could beat out these three players (two of whom have played VERY admirably over the last few months... where do you get this stuff?) is not the issue

the issue is whether he could start upon arrival, and david moyes selection process simply don't go like that, sir

blaming me for the unreasonability of this thread is like blaming that poor cow for the chicago fire

8. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    dude... name me one US-based poster that has any kind of authority to speak on the eredivisie?

all i see is wildly inaccurate analysis of a league most of these people see 3-4 times a season tops

no matter how you wanna tilt it, THOSE are the people that should be taken to task for their comments

i, on the other hand, eat/walk/talk/sh**/dream eredivisie

while i can certainly be accused of leaping to defense (no argument there), the fact that you actually have the stones to take a condescending attitude towards MY take on dutch league football is utterly bananas

BA. NA. NAS.

[​IMG]

i'll tell ya what: anybody comes up with a list of the 15 left wingers beasley instantly starts over in holland, and i will shut the hell up

hell, i'll do ya one better... if anyone can name 15 wingers (left or right) that play in the eredivisie, i'll shut the hell up

EDIT: actually, i'm gonna shut up anyway coz its time for dinner! :D

9. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if it appears like trolling to those who read it ....

I get this stuff where everyone should -- by watching games. In my opinion, McFadden and Kilbane are not that great. Feel free to disagree, but using "O.M.G." in response to a contrary opinion makes you look a little like a troll.

Why would anyone care about that issue? I smell a strawman. The question is whether Beasley would be starting after a reasonable amount of time to win the position.

You certainly aren't helping by, as you put it, throwing a match on the thread.

10. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have had this discussion with you before, but analysis is inherently subjective. Therefore, whether you spend 24 hours a day on the eredivisie or not, when it compares to analysis, it is worthless if you don't have the judmgent to process what you see (to be clear, I am not commenting one way or another on your abilities). The point being that someone who sees a lot less eredevisie could provide a better analysis than you if they have better judgement.

BOTTOM LINE: People don't have to shut up everytime you have an opinion and it is not disrespectul to your dedication to the eredevisie to express a contrary opinion.

The fact that you "eat, sleep and drink" the eredevisie is apparent in your opinions as has been pointed out earlier in this thread.

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

martin, this pure jri-speak... do we really have to wonder whether the guy who has watched two eredivisie teams twice can possibly comment on the state of the league better than someone who watches it every weekend and regularly attends matches in different stadiums?

we've got a long line of people spouting off a bunch of blind "descriptions" of the eredivisie when they wouldn't know joris mathijsen if he tackled them, but somehow me and the earlier dutch gentleman are trolls

and btw, when the other guy said no one would shed a tear if beasley left, he wasn't trying to be mean or insulting in any way... he was just being honest about the situation - everyone likes damarcus a great deal, but he has not risen to the level of local hero as many in here imagine

12. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other Dutch guy is a troll for the reasons I stated earlier.

I have wasted too much of your, mine and the board's time with this thread about a thread, so I will just say that while I agree with you that someone who has not watched any eredevise games can't possibly comment on it, I don't know that that is the case for anyone involved in these discussions. My personal view is that DMB is good enough to start regularly for PSV if the system they used was a better fit. Given what I know of the eredevise and PSV (from past years not this year), I think this means that Beasley could also start for many teams in the EPL or la Liga, once again depending on style. I won't be specific and say 15 or 5, but IMHO it is a substantial number.

13. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    I've watched PSV in CL and don't consider them at the level
    of the Brasil , Mexican, Portugal national teams and I would
    guess that the Dutch League is not harder than the WC or
    Confederations Cup. Beasley has distingushed himself against
    aforementioned national teams and in the aforementioned
    environments. But he did as a left mid in a four man line.

Bease's strengths:
    1. defesive skills. He has the ability shut down the best wingers.

2. lateral movement. extremely fast lateral movement allows
    him to draw fouls.

3. link play. strong ability to get himself in position to receive the
    passes.

4. physical toughness. astounding ability to absorb punishment
    that would leave bigger players on the training room table.

Bease's weaknesses:

1. not much of a crosser

2. not an incisive passer

3. has a weak shot

4. general shooting skills in the area are not that strong.

The above simply means that he shouldn't be a forward that's
    all. If MLS had shifted him to Southampton, he'd be with a bigger
    team in the EPL(or maybe Southampton would not have gotten
    relegated with Bease in the lineup) and forumites would still be
    kissing his ring.

14. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, blue daddy I kindof see your point.

15. kakaboypuf redded

Feb 1, 2006
    Rotterdam
    [​IMG]

get a grip, will you? Ive tried to make clear how i rate DMB in a very decent way. Next time ill just say he f'ckin sucks...so you and some others here can rant about how every "non yank" always wants to put down american footballplayers.

Whats the point in discussing if you are only allowed to say positive things..

16. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    thanks martin, i'm sorry i get uppity sometimes... i'm just having some banter fun :)

17. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wait a minute, McBride's giving out food?:p

18. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He lead PSV in CL goals last year. Nice job of trolling!

19. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    with a name like kakaboypuf he's got to be having a laugh.

20. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

"Dribbling ability" I think is a misnomer. If you mean moving quickly with the ball in open space, then yes. However, DMB is not much of a dribbler. In other words, you aren't going to see him doing incredible things with the ball, as his patented move is the push the ball by the defender who is flat footed, then scamper and get the ball.

As for the argument about speed versus quickness...well I was including quickness in the idea of speed. I think you stated why very well in your argumentation about how he defends...but don't forget why his speed is so important...he can stretch the field vertically...and because of his speed is still able to come back and cover ground. Plus he has an engine that never dies, this despite his slight frame.

I think the focus should be on what type of wing position DMB plays. Frankly...DMB in a 4-3-3 does not suit him. As stated earlier in a 3-5-2 or a 4-4-2, those lineups use his assets much better.

And another person said DMB is better than C. Ronaldo. That's absurd. C. Ronaldo is able to move on the ball so quickly, and is so explosive with the ball on his feet, it is incredible. He is so technically talented with the ball on his feet, it is incredible. Now having said that, DMB beats C. Ronaldo in other factors (such as defending...not being a primadonna...although DMB's wishes to play for a Real or ManU are dellusional).

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

ok, i'm gonna go over these one by one and try to give my take without too much snark... either i'm goin' soft or i'm ready to pee myself at the thought that adriano is about to score five against AJAX ;)

strengths

1-this is a common misfire; for starters, it is not DMB's job to shut down wingers... it is his job to backtrack and help on them, which he does splendidly - HOWEVER, this is not the same as saying he is a great defender, which he is not - he is, in fact, a great defender for a winger

2-dead on... PSV have scored numerous goals from his free kicks won

3-dead on, buuuut he could still improve

4-dead on

weaknesses

1-he could definitely improve, mostly in getting crosses off quicker - he has, however, shown himself to be a largely reliable corner/free kick server

2-mmmmmm not really his job and he does actually make some nice touch slip passes - i suppose it could be argued that he can add this to his game for the better

3-not really, he just tends to go for the delicate finish most of the time - actually, i'd argue that he should let rip from 22 more often, if only to produce rebounds - i remember one particular long distance goal he scored for chicago, and i remember thinking "why doesn't he do that more often?"

4-again, his finishing has been a pleasant surprise... if farfan ever met a pass that he liked, DMB would have 2-3 more goals this season

the main problem DMB is having this season is an internal battle with confidence - it is not entirely strange for a player to regress slightly in his second season with a new club (especially when, as someone noted, several quality players leave the side... everyone has to adjust, not just him) - he also seems to be a player that can benefit from watching the game from the bench every so often, for both mental and physical reasons

many people also seemed to completely gloss over the notion presented that dutch society allows... nay... appreciates this sort of candor from players unless hiddink says otherwise, i wouldn't go frettin gover a few innocuous comments in VI - bease is a competitor, and the coach appreciates this

i'm sure in no time he will string together some impressive performances, and the internet love will overfloweth again

22. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

that may be, but he would still rank below at least cocu, van bommel, alex, vennegoor of hesselink, gomes, lee and park in influence... not that there's anything wrong with it

23. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    We'll have to disagree on this one. While he doesn't do flashy things with the ball, I do like his ability to maintain close control while changing direction.

Definitely one of his biggest strengths, though I'd say it's because of his slight frame. There's a reason distance runners are tiny.

Definitely agree that he should be in a role that uses his range.

24. REMOVED

REMOVED New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I am a big dmb fan. I know he has been in many games and scored some goals. but i have never personally seen him play well for psv based on what setanta has aired. watching psv, they are a very solid TEAM. it would be no shame for dmb to not make the grade. i hope he makes it but he is not ready for the top teams in europe, unfortunately. i would like him to return to the mls, get playing time, and perform for mls fans. he can play in europe for ten years but will never be a LD.

25. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    This highlighted point is often lost on people.

Too often we see people mistake praise for one player as somehow criticizing another. Its not, its praising the first. We need to keep sight of the fact that you can play well, and still not be the best option available.

DMB has some strong points to his game, but overall his play is lacking something this season. If he were in a lesser league such as the CCC in England or MLS, then he'd probably still be starting every match. (yes it is my contention that PSV have loads more talent than CCC level sides).
    IF that were the case we might be singing his praises now rather than doubting him. He still has the ability, but he has to improve to stay on the field if he wants to play for a Champions League quality team rather than a League Championship quality team (I couldn't resist).

This isn't a knock on him, it's the way of life in Big Time Soccer/Football.