Beasley considers leaving PSV

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by johan derksen, Feb 21, 2006.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think that using the CL to judge a coach who coached a serioulsy overachieving SK (who can only be called "negative" if you think high-intensity, high-pressure - and slightly physical - play is negative, which I guess some might), an league dominating (much as it pains me to type it) PSV (I guess the fact that they lead the league in points and wins, but not goals scored (3rd) and have a stingy d. could be considered negative ...).

There is no doubt that PSV and Hiddik play very cautiously in the CL - but they aren't the only one and I don't think that comes close to characterizing Hiddik's prefered style of play. He is tactical and fairly clever - and, I think, a realist. I suppose if BA is negative, then Hiddik is negative - not wanting to lose away matches, for instance. More agressive/attacking at home etc.

2. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

if you are a smart coach, you take what you are given to a certain extent and lyon played no more open than psv did i the first three matches - i expect things may change with psv tactics in #4

3. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Hiddnik bunkered against Lyon at home -- twice. The Champions League is where PSV is going up against squads of similar resources (and with more to be fair). I think it is a great indication of how Hidnik coaches when he is up against squads of equal or more talent.

He gets goals against underfunded opponents in the Dutch League and I can't comment any more on those games since I don't see them.

Look, my opinion is that his style is excessive negative, even if effective. I don't think we need that at this time in the US and I am glad he is coaching Russia.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Got it. And I think anyone that saw SK (even if you haven't seen PSV in the Ered.) and thought they were playing negative is simply not using the word the same way I do.

Agreeing to disagree. I think Hiddik would be great for the USMNT and I can't see that one can blame Hiddik's negativity for the Bease crisis.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Carolina basketball player??? :confused: :confused:

6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

bease explained his crisis quite directly: he is struggling with confidence

i don't know why everyone acts like he didn't admit that, and like he hasn't won this same exact battle before

7. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness to Hiddink, that strategy was rather successful in beating a much-favored Lyon squad last year. That said, I think Lyon is probably a touch stronger this year and PSV is proabably weaker. My sense is, based on this, Hiddink was looking to get a 0-0 scoreline at home and attempt to advance with a 1-1 score in France. Based on the conventional wisdom that Lyon is a more talented and dangerous team than PSV, I don't think it was all that bad an idea really. It would have worked, too, had the keeper been able to make a save that Keller would have made in his sleep.

Of course, PSV will have to be much, much more attacking now, needing to win outright to advance. Accordingly, one would think DFB will play a role in this match.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Yes indeedy.

I figured you'd know.

9. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Isn't not giving up goals the number one concern for CL home matches (when your team is not obviously superior to your opponent)?

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused: :confused:

So your theory is that Beasley will be an outstanding pro for 5-7 years, then do his knee, lose his quickness, and have to rely on his other skills, which aren't that great, and fade out of the league, become an assistant coach, and an alcoholic, have a nasty internet rumor allege that one of his players is boinking his wife, and then blow a chance to coach the Nats by getting a couple of DWIs???

Dude, I started following Phil Ford when he was a high school legend as a junior, and you've totally, totally lost me.

11. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    You are going to an awful lot of trouble to make something out of nothing (true to form).

12. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not. "Negativity" is just a tangent. Hidnik is not the best for Beasley, IMHO, not because his style is negative, but because his system requires Beasley to play a wing forward role. Beasely has done well in this role at times, but, IMHO, others are more natural goal scorers and more aggressive and can do this better. It is my opinion that Beasley would have the best chance of making an impact with a team that played a standard 4-4-2 with Beasley playing wide left.

13. kakaboypuf redded

Feb 1, 2006
    Rotterdam
    So in what kind of formation did the US play against Poland?

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    442 diamond with DMB on the left

15. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diamond 4-4-2

16. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I would like to see Beas score a goal after a 360 move like Phil used to.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Maybe. Although Bease has had more than one run out at LM at PSV as well. It's not always a 4, but it's not like asking him to play keeper.

We'll see what's up with Bease. Could be a bad year, could be too much competition, could need a change of scenary, might just need a good dose of BA to kick his butt. I don't pretend to know, but I don't see what it is about Beases game that does not lend itself to a LWF position, except he cannot rely as much on frisbee dog end to end running to have an impact and he doesn't have as much of a goal scorer nose as one might like (and that he's not an extraordinarily good crosser of the ball - which always surprises me, if there is one skill than should be learnable ...)

18. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's a large part of it. The other thing is that he doesn't like running at peope that much. As for running, I would put it differently -- he is more effective getting behind defenses when he starts deeper and his ability to track back on defense is more of an assett at a traditional left mid position in a 4-4-2.

Just an opinion, and I am not saying he can't succeed as he clearly can -- just my opinion that he would have a better chance in a tough competitive environment if a 4-4-2 was used.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Yes, basically. I think there's only so many fouls DMB's body can take and his current form may be a reflection of his unwillingness to take the pounding.

I saw Phil Ford in Milwaukee. He still had a decent enough quickness to be a quality back-up point guard but he wasn't there mentally. In one game, he was fouled with the time expired and the Bucks down by a point. Two converted free throws would have gotten the team a win, one would have taken the game into the overtime. And Ford was like an 81% free thrower ... but he choked and missed them both.

That signaled the end of Phil's career in Milwaukee. Nellie used to be a big fan, which is why he traded Mickey Johnson to New Jersey for him.

Phil lasted another year in the league after that.