BC Place

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by vettefredje redded, Jan 19, 2012.

1. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    He's beat this drum before with false facts. I am a very nice guy as frequent and infrequent posters like whiteisthecolour and piltdownman etc can attest to. I just don't like someone mis-informing a non-Vancouverite with false facts.

Also you have to understand my tone isn't meant to come off as jerk-ish or dick-ish. It's meant to come off as fairly tongue in cheek and not condescending at all.

My forum manners are much better than someone who wants to start open debate threads etc. ;)

~Throwing Stones from glass houses and All That....

2. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    ??? Sportie comes into this topic full of bluster and misinformation. Johnny deals it back at about the same rate only he has actual information. Corroborated data. Factual claims. Truth. It's not like he's singling sportie out of a group.

People who make bold claims end up in bold conversations, don't they? Nature of the beast.

And I don't think traffic has much to do with tone or content in this forum. I used to think that, but not anymore. I think the main problem is that Southsiders are vocal and really get the word out about their forum, and BigSoccer is something that would be very tricky to come across from a casual fan point of view.

Having said all that, I prefer this forum. I wish we had more posts, but the posts we do have tend to be longer and more thoughtful. I think 95% of the posts on the Southsiders board are about the length of a Tweet. I'm not a fan of short messages. I'd rather have long posts I disagree with than a hundred posts just nodding heads.

3. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    IF i am so wrong on my take on the waterfront stadium not being built- and u r sooooooo right along with a few others--- WHY? WHY? WHY? didn't the stadium get built

could it be that there are more people, including those in the decision-making at city hall and provincial offices, who saw it as i saw it?? wrong place to build a stadium for a variety of reasons

attack me as being misinformed, lacking insight, blowing my own horn-- that is your right to do so-- the final fact of the matter is the waterfront stadium will never, ever be built

since the idea of the waterfront stadium was unfolded years ago, i have been consistently right about the waterfront stadium not being built--- and others who attack me personally have been consistently wrong

so put that in your pipe and smoke it! :D

4. canuck51

canuck51 Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Vancouver
    I'm with Johnny on this one...

5. *Injektilo

*Injektilo Member

Feb 1, 2008
    The decision to not build the stadium, like 99% of decisions made by politicians, do not come down to facts, or down to what makes the most sense, but down to one special interest group doing a better job lobbying its case than another.

6. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Injektilo for the win.

Especially in a place like Vancouver. It's funny, I am so proud of my city and loyal to BC to a fault, but I swear the civic politicians just make me shake my head. When it comes to this kind of stuff, Seattle and Portland are miles ahead of us.

I think I agree with sportie on one thing: I think it's BC Place for the next 15 years. Especially if the Whitecaps catch mainstream interest in Vancouver (which I believe they will do in the next 5-7 years) and we start selling 35k a game.

7. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    How can you call Vancouver "your city"; you don't even live here.

8. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy--- he's agreeing with us on the waterfront stadium- its never going to happen

no need to crap on him!! be nice :mad:

9. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Born and raised.

10. RD84

RD84 Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Tacoma
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pretty much my thoughts here.

The weather issue is just ridiculous. You grew up in it, you play adult/rec league in it, you go to/from work in it. You can cheer for your team in it. You solve this problem by having overhangs (which would increase the noise) and you can leave the ends open (cheap seats get no protection). I'm pretty sure the Southsiders will not give a f*** about weather (much like us SJ fans do not give a f*** about Beckham) and will do their thing.
    I've seen BC Place with the roof open. If you can see the mountains (via the retracted roof) from the lower bowl (and don't forget the additional "temp roof" for MLS matches) i'll pay for your bar tab pre and post game, no limits, but if you puke, deal is off.

The Caps don't *need* their own stadium, but it sure as hell would be a lot better than half of a CFL stadium. If you want the flexibility to have more than 20-25k at a Caps home game (say, for, friendlies v. Euro teams or hosting MLS Cup), BC Place is available.

My comparison to RFK was off, but I wasn't comparing Stadium quality, I was comparing how they're stadia that are 20k bigger than they need to be for the event on the field.

Thanks for letting me repeat things that have been hashed out eleventy thousand times already, and I hope I don't come off as an ignorant outsider.

11. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I love how a guy supporting San Jose somehow thinks they know and understand Vancouver.

THERE WILL NOT BE A WATERFRONT STADIUM.

Stop living in fantasy land.

12. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Feel free to ignore the post above. You're welcome here.

The weather issue is more of a factor than you think though: yes we grow up in it, but it's precisely because we do grow up in it that we learn to stay out of it (rain, I mean). Vancouver people get wet as a matter of course, but they don't seek it out. An open air stadium would mean much smaller crowds. The Whitecaps simply are not at the stage where they have rock-solid diehards who will show up regardless of weather.

I think BC Place is decent digs. The "sails" that they put up make it seem like it is *not* half a CFL stadium. Our own stadium would be nice, but there are pros and cons.

13. England_FC

England_FC New Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm coming over from the UK and I want to catch a Whitecaps game. Where's the best / most fun place to sit in the stadium? I want atmosphere.

14. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    The Southsiders (the largest supporter group) are located in Sections 248-254 of BC Place so you would want a seat around there or section 201-207 which are other designated home supporters sections. I remember sitting right by the Southsiders and standing all match with them versus TFC. It was pretty good.

15. England_FC

England_FC New Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hey! Thanks so much for this, it's really appreciated. So, are you able to stand during games? Can you drink alcohol during the games too? This may sound like a bizarre question but this is no longer allowed in the UK :-(

16. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Yes, you can drink beer during the matches. Standing is pretty much done just in the supporters sections. Everyone else just sits.