BBVA New WiFi System & Terms - Apparently the Game Doesn't Matter

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Westside Cosmo, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so today there was announcement and some tweets about the new BBVA Stadium WiFi system that is was installed (BBVA must have funded it based on their own website article):

http://www.bbva.com/en/opinion/the-challenge-is-turning-innovation-into-a-new-strategic-product-that-is-profitable-and-has-an-impact-on-clients/

http://www.bbvastadium.com/news/det...irst-mls-stadium-to-deploy-wi-fi-6-technology

Two things of note from the press release - with the bolded emphasis mine:
    • Simplified network management: With the Extreme Management Center™ application the small IT team at Houston Dynamo will be able to shift focus from network and device management to building future-looking in-stadium experiences to satisfy its millennial fanbase.
    • Granular visibility and analytics: The IT team is planning to deploy ExtremeAnalytics™ technology to gain granular visibility into network and application performance, users, locations and devices. With this information, Houston Dynamo will be able to deliver personalized offerings to engaged fans, deepening relationships and driving repeat attendance.
    From the BBVA article (can't copy for some reason), they say the millennial will just stay at home if they can't get an instagramable experience.

So, in line with all of the movement to get rid of the old decaying high-disposable income and replace it with a membership club made up of folks with no savings accounts and health insurance, the upgraded wifi will better allow people to post selfies and instagrams of themselves while drinking some alcohol and not actually watching soccer. This is completely in line with going cheap on the payroll and the team finishing 9th in the West most years - who will notice if all they are doing is snapchat and periscope feeds at the game!!!!

So now, let's look at the updated WiFi policy, which I'm not sure if it comes up for you to acknowledge if you logon to the stadium WiFi or if you just consent to it by using the network since they posted it on their website:

http://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2019/08/16/houston-dynamo-public-wifi-policy

setting aside things like mandatory arbitration, a limitation on the Club's liability at $50 or that it is assumed if a minor logs on that they have the guardians consent and permission, look at the below provision - now if that is just ordinary to most public WiFi then maybe its not worth getting worked about (I can see if they have a legal order from a judge) but they are saying we can monitor everything just to make sure you are complying with the agreement which has all sorts of provisions about MLS intellectual property and streaming restrictions.

CONSENT TO MONITORING

THE CLUB RESERVES THE RIGHT TO, AND YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND CONSENT THAT THE CLUB MAY (BUT IS NOT REQUIRED TO) MONITOR YOUR COMMUNICATIONS AND ACTIVITIES VIA THE SERVICE (INCLUDING THEIR CONTENT) DURING TRANSMISSION AND IN CONNECTION WITH USE OF THE SERVICE, AND MAY DISCLOSE ANY SUCH INFORMATION FOR PURPOSES OF ENSURING YOUR COMPLIANCE WITH THIS AGREEMENT, APPLICABLE LAW, COOPERATING WITH LEGAL AUTHORITIES, AND OTHERWISE PROTECTING THE CLUB’S RIGHTS, PROPERTY AND INTERESTS

Does anyone actually trust the Dynamo with stuff like this? Is this just sound and fury or are they trying to make sure they get as much info on their customers and the noobs who don't know any better?

2. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could just mean that taking large video grabs of in game action and downloading it all to your own interweb violates a MLS broadcasting rights clause.
    Just spitballing here Westie.
    Should help with ordering a basket of nachos however! Ha!

The sport should be the selling point, never what can be done with a mobile device DURING the sport. Specifically since the beautiful game is sans commercial breaks and the like that exist so prominently in other sports. Walker is a basketball man, this speaks to it. What works for in game customer service for one professional sport does not directly work to another sport.

3. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get pi$$ed off when I see people getting up during the half and going to the concessions (or maybe the bathrooms). If you can't hold it for an hour and a half or stifle your hunger pangs - you have no business watching my sport.

4. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could not agree more Nigel!
    I recall having my son's entire team out, my oldest son, so this back at the Rob. Some were content to, ya know, actually stay engaged in the action down on the field. Others went from talking too much to their teammate to then watching the players. However, my captain was seated in the hinchada (A no no, please stand boy-o!) and then on his flip phone focusing on it more than the damn sport, the sport he himself likes to play! I went up to him and just told him that only in our culture, are chats on cellphones more a pull for soccer playing kids at a live pro game for their own hometown involved. Pull that shit as teen in Turkey or Argentina, heck even Korea or Egypt! The other poorer off boys will jack you for your mobile phone and give you a shinner for thinking its more important than their players they love! hA!

5. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then you are going to be pissed when I get up out of my seat to get a beer at 43' so I don't have to deal with poor concessions line management at the half time.

6. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Can we stream other MLS games while using the super duper WiFi 6 at the Dynamo matches? That would be more entertaining.