News: Bas Dost & Vincent Janssen

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Gilbertsson, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It looks he cant cut it at Spurs as a striker, they're gonna have to convert him into a Kuijt-type midfielder

2. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The weird thing is if you watch Janssen in his games with the Spurs he does look quite dangerous. Watch him with teh NT and it's the same -- he's always dangerous and doing well. Maybe Pochettino's system just doesn't work well for him. Maybe he's just unlucky. I've seen him take quite a few chances in the PL and Europa that he just missed, or were just a tad too slow. Generally he's pretty decently clinical so maybe he's just lacking in confidence.

Either way it's too early to give up on him. I still think Tottenham was always a poor choice for him given there was no way he was going to usurp Kane even if he were better. He should have gone to a mid-table team where he could have been the undisputed #1. Though most young players make this mistake and, IMO, it stagnates their development. Not that he hasn't had some good opportunity with Spurs, but there's too much pressure there for him to perform or he'll get benched. If that makes sense.

3. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Experienced football viewers / experts notice your observation in a minute.:) The problem is because Pochettino is very appreciated as coach, so no one brings his decisions out. For sure, this defeat against Leverkusen will shake things. Dutch players are the rare ones, that could play in England, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy on a high level. I think that Spanish league suits better for Janssen.

4. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Its the finishing that counts. In the higher leagues your reaction level has to be 10X faster than the Dutch league. If you dont have that same killer finish you wont succeed (see Kezman)

5. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wimmer has more open field goals than Janssen.....LOL

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ...and it was truly a wonderful header!!!

7. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Bas Dost Spectacular Evening, 9th, 68th minutes. Amazing goals.

Atitude Maxima

8. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Bas Dost & Vincent Janssen played excellent for their teams in the Champions League. Janssen should be in the first squad. They left him out until 65th minute. Major reason why Tottenham lost that match.

9. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Bas Dost goal against Benfica.

10. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    This thread is not developing too much. I used universal trick and wrote about these to players to see how readers react. It started solid when I started, but now it is not good. Obviously it is hard to create the atmosphere around weaker players who are mostly unknown to the media.

Only 2397 views.:thumbsdown:

11. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The thread is limited to 2 players, and this threads activity will correlate to their good and relevent performances. Neither of them are unknown to the media.

What do you mean with you used an universal trick and wrote about these players to see how readers react? What were you interested in finding out or learning about?

12. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #87 Gilbertsson, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    I wanted to see, are player who are not so present in media attractive enough for forum users in further discussion. My conclusion is that media generate strong foundation for every player. That's why we see so many written pages about Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez, Griezmann...
    For example, there are so many words about Goetze, Lewandowski. I think that they are not so great with football skills, so that they need to be in media constantly.
    That's why I wanted to see the reactions about Dost and Janssen. Dost is good with his headers and physical ability, Janssen is talented. But they don't attract people on forum pages. I provided a lot of infos about them, videos, photos, but still pretty average written reactions.:)
    It will be interesting to observe their future and influence, especially in the Dutch team. I don't follow Tottenham so much.

This thread exists since 13th October and still it can't attract more than 3 000 views. I hoped to see 5 000 - 10 000 views.:thumbsup:

Football players depend on media writings, analytical approach, when people see website headlines, they open and read, even though it's not relevant, not written well and without any conclusion. Forums can't attract so many views.

For example, Jozy Altidore has closely to 8 000 views on this same Netherlands sub-forum. But he was present constantly in media, especially in his country. He plays in Toronto.:D Another proof, how media generate someone's popularity.:rolleyes:

Has anyone noticed that Virgil Van Dijk, Daley Blind scored against Tottenham and Sunderland? Websites mostly mention Depay and he doesn't score often, only two goals in Manchester United.

Bas Dost scored against Belenenses in 90th minute and no one has mentioned this here.:D

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We have seen enough of Bas Dost over the years to come to the conclusion that he is only useful to the NT as a pinch hitter in much the same way as Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink was several years ago. He is not the kind of player who can create goals and certainly is no where in the league of Robert Lewandowski who is truly a creative forward.

The jury is out on Vincent Janssen. He is still very young and maybe he made the wrong career choice in moving to Tottenham; we won't know that for another couple of years.

Both van Dijk and Daley Blind have been written about a lot in this forum and everyone recognizes their role on the NT.

I think the reason you are not seeing lots of page views here is because we all know about Dost and Janssen and your posts, while interesting are not changing anyone's mind.

Sybe Pals repped this.
  14. 2nd_striker

2nd_striker Member

May 21, 2008
    London
    Janssen moving to spurs was dangerous, as youve got Harry Kane (the second best English striker) there and they play 4-5-1, so automatically you are back up. Plus janssen isnt the quickest and he wont see many minutes. His best hope for the remainder of the season is that pochettino pkays him in the cup competitions and they have a decent run. Ive spoken to lost of Spurs fans who think that janssen is a good player and works hard, he just needs a goal from open play

15. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Bas Dost scored two goals against Chaves.:)

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  16. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    I always thought that Spurs purchased Janssen as the insurance policy when/if Kane moves on. Obviously as long as Kane around, Janssen would be the second option. May not be a bad situation... it gives Janssen some time to acclimate without the added pressure. His job is a stand-in cameo this season, but I think next year he should/will be ready to take on more duties. In a few times that I saw him playing, I thought Janssen was pretty useful. His movement is quite positive, and his hold-up play is a great asset as it invites his teammates to play. He plays with confidence and he works extremely hard. The Spurs fan appreciate this fact. Let's see where he ends up next season, this season is pretty a dress rehearsal for him....

Gilbertsson and Orange14 repped this.
  17. 2nd_striker

2nd_striker Member

May 21, 2008
    London
    He is but the longer he goes without goals the worse it will become for janssen in england. Over here the media is focused on goals, if janssen got 50 assists they would still comment on the lack of goals. Kane wont be moving unless someone finds over £60 million and kane wants to leave. When he played against aston villa in the cup a few weeks ago the press liked his effort but commented on the movement stating that he wasnt putting himself in positions where he was likely to score, too involved in build up and not on the last man enough. Pochettino needs to help by giving him time. When kane come off at the weekend he didnt put janssen in and he wasnt even on the bench

Gilbertsson repped this.
  18. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He was certainly right about Dost ! Dost is on absolute fire !

Maybe Vincent will rise up in the future too !

19. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Janssen should move to Lyon and team up with Depay.
    French league would be perfect for him IMO

Orange14 repped this.
  20. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Bas Dost scored two goals against Nacional. Maybe people will notice him if he starts to score three goals per match, instead of these modest two.:rolleyes:

21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Gilbert, Dost is a good striker but he's not world class.
    Add to that he's 27 and in his prime right now, plus he's playing in a relatively average European league. I believe this overinflates his numbers somewhat

22. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Can we all give Gilbertsson credit for being a visionary! All hail Gil !

23. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  24. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Dost with another hatttrick today

25. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

These attackers were invited against Bulgaria.

[​IMG]