Barrier To Entry For New HS Referee

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Sam_C, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Sam_C

Sam_C Member

Manchester City
    Brazil
    Jun 19, 2018
    #1 Sam_C, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    I have worked USSF youth games for a couple years and it's time for me to move to high school games. The organization that manages referees in my area has mandatory 'dues' that you must pay each year. I will outline the fees and fines below, feel free to skip to the end if you don't care for numbers. If you know or think you know the area I am in, please leave it anonymous; I am not trying to call the organization out. The point of this post is to get your opinions because frankly, I am not sure I am going to bother with HS soccer.

So here are the fees a new referee has to pay in order to work high school games in my area:

$84 class fee (New officials only, mandatory): Class session and two 'assessments' at a preseason jamboree
    $84 organization 'dues' (each year)
    $45 background check (one time, state requirement)

That is $213 of preseason fees on top of mandatory NISOA shirts which are another $100 (black and yellow required for all officials). Keep in mind, brand new officials may need to purchase watches, shoes, socks, and shorts, which would raise that barrier to entry even higher (a 'free' whistle is given to new officials at the class).

In addition, if you miss the preseason festivities without an excuse, they tack these fines on:
    $25 Fine: if you miss the first mandatory clinic of the season
    $84 Fine: if you miss the first mandatory meeting of the season​

It would take a new referee at least 4 games to recoup costs (first two years must be at JV to complete 'probationary period'), which is roughly 6 hours on the field of game time plus travel just to break-even in your first season. Even at the mandatory class for 'new' referees, they emphasized to me that 'we need more young referees' (I'm 19 y/o). If that is the case, how do you justify such a large barrier to entry? Is my area an outlier, or do you all have similar situations with high school soccer? Perhaps this seems unjust because I am young, please let me know how you feel.

2. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I was a young(er) referee in college, I made $6,000 a season easily doing high school games. It sounds like the only barrier to you is yourself right now. Sorry if that sounds harsh.

3. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To be honest I feel like high school varies so much by locality. The area I work in now only requires you to be a USSF licensed referee (8 or above). Pay a $50 fee and attend like 3 mandatory meetings. They do have some other requirements like 18 year of age or above, pass a written test, have reliable transportation, create an arbiter account, have required uniform, etc. but that's it.
    The other area I was in before only required $125 dues, pass a written test, and attend 2 meetings. They often used unlicensed referees and former players (to some degree of success).

How do they justify well... it depends how much power your association has in your area. In my current area they are the only HS association in a 150 mile radius. The other area there were at least 3 different other associations.

I agree with the other poster. If you are trying to make money and "have" the availability. I always made lots of $$ doing high school (the only reason I do it nowadays tbh). If you are only getting 10 games a season might not be worth it for you. If you are guaranteed a set amount of games you'll recoup your costs and then some.

Ps. High school was a good starting point for me breaking out of my area and working with different guys. I got an opportunity to meet different USSF assignors and it set me up to move up. Although, I moved up mostly thru USSF games. If that makes sense.

IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  4. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Talk about varying by location. Where I am you need to register with the state association to work varsity games, and for first year officials that's $15 (goes up to $50 by the 3rd year). You have to go to a free classroom session every 3 years. Of course you have to know an assignor, or more accurately they have to know you, to get varsity games.

For anything below varsity you just need a pulse, local assignors can't fill them all. I always go ahead and register with the state association each year for the insurance coverage. I'll probably work 10 or fewer games this season all sub-varsity and all solo, for $58 to $65 a game.

5. malackym

malackym Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Warren Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It cost me $60 to get my license renewed each year and $45 association dues. The dues allows me to attend all association meeting for "free", if you are not a member it cost $10 per meeting, and you are required to attend 4 if you want to be tournament eligible. Membership also allows us to vote for High School tournament referee rankings. We all had to buy new jerseys this year since the new ones are required, but membership allows you to join the membership group order which gets everyone a discount.

If you are becoming a new HS ref, you need to take a class which runs from $100 to $130 depending on if you are a USSF ref or not.

I just consider it part of doing business as a High School ref.

I do know I don't need to be a member of the association to get assigned High School games. You just need to let the assigner(s) know you are available.

Mark.

6. Vinnydabody

Vinnydabody Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The biggest barrier to entry right now in IL in my experience is finding who the assignors are. The IHSA certification is $50 / year, there are free clinics you can find (others have a nominal cost), and at least in the Chicagoland area there's no association you need to join. Next year though they have a new required uniform that is fugly. I occasionally get random emails looking for officials for games but in places that are an hour or more away (and starting around 4:15). No thanks.

I got hooked up with the Chicago Public Schools assignor last year but by the time they had their preseason meeting all the games that were close to me were already taken, and the refs at the meeting mostly complained to each other about how long schools take to pay, games starting 30-45 minutes late, etc. And it's dual. There are plenty of lower level Saturday games available, but I keep those days free for AYSO and club matches. So I didn't wind up doing any games.

Instead, I do Junior high games in the suburbs where I live. Low key, $55 a game for center (varsity and JV), no ARs, all within a 10 minute drive. I also do Catholic league upper elementary (6/7/8) games, co-ed, $45-$60 cash at the field, fun games.

Unless something changes radically in the next couple of years I don't see myself actively pursuing HS assignments, certainly not paying ponying up for more uniforms. The games I do, nobody cares what color you wear (I break out the pink for girls games in the spring).

So my point here is, there are probably options available if you don't want to go through all the hoops for the HS games.

dadman repped this.
  7. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I work both Missouri and Illinois HS Soccer.
    In Missouri we have to pay a $65 to the state.
    In my location, you don't have to but it's highly encouraged to join a local association which costs $65. This get's you access to on field training and extra insurance.
    All HS referees in the first 3 years must attend a Mechanics Meeting and a Rules Meeting. Take a Part 1 and Part 2 test and pass with an 80% or above. You get 3 tries but its and open book/friend and no time limit test .
    This year we are going to a new jersey, mentioned in other posts. It's by far the ugliest shirt in the industry. The IL ones are night and day better looking. However our association provided the shirts to us. The shirts cost $45 short sleeve and $47 for long sleeve.
    Game fees are as follows: $69 for a 3 man all 3 officials, $70 for a 2 man. I haven't worked a JV game in a while so I couldn't tell you what those game fees are, I assume that it's in the $50 range.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In Illinois we have to pay a $50 to the state.
    In my location you are also encouraged to join a local association which costs $40. Again Illinois is getting new shirts HS only. 2 colors Yellow and Black. I believe that they are $45 for short sleeve and $50 for long sleeve each.
    Game fees are $65 for varsity.
    If you want to do championship games you must be a registered referee for at least 3 years, pass Exam 1 and 2 with a 90% or above, attend Rules and Clinic Meetings and be promoted to the grade of R.
    There are 4 grades X, O, R, and C. X is first year, O is probation , R is Recognized referee and C is Certified.
    Once you work a championship you get C.
    [​IMG]

Doug the Ref repped this.
  8. Sam_C

Sam_C Member

Manchester City
    Brazil
    Jun 19, 2018
    Not harsh at all, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Appreciate the answers thus far everyone. For a bit more background, I am playing as well this Fall so I have to decide if I will be able to work enough games around that schedule to cover costs. I may be biting off more than I can chew, but it looks like 'pay-to-work' is par for the course as far as HS soccer is concerned, unfortunately.
    Agreed, that shirt is thought provoking to say the least...

Doug the Ref and dadman repped this.
  9. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    In Oregon, every school is assigned to a "commissioner" and association. (The commissioner is the assignor.) That association gets to and has to do all of the school's games. If you want to do high school games, you have to belong to the local association. However, it's about $65 to get registered with the state high school association (book, badge including Velcro, insurance, background check.) The association collects the fees from the schools and divvies the money up as the association sees fit, usually something like $65 for DSC varsity center, $60 for varsity dual, $45 for varsity AR and sub varsity whistles. Our most available people will do more than 60 games during the season. The commissioner gets about 6% of the game fees and there are no association dues. Mileage is paid on a per mile from the center of town basis (so, if you live next door to the high school, you will still get mileage), split between the officials on the crew, $5 minimum. USSF uniforms are mandated, so you are not buying additional shirts. Virtually all sub-varsity games are afternoon games, typically 4 p.m. kickoff. Varsity is mostly evening games, but still with a lot of afternoon games. For the most part, around here, afternoon varsity = dual, evening varsity = DSC. Some JV games are duals, JV2/freshman and all middle school games are solo.

To do playoffs, you need three years of experience (of which the current year counts as one), you have some additional training required (no cost) but any USSF or NISOA training will count towards the requirement, and you must have been a USSF grade 8 at some time in your life. 75% on the written test to do high school games, 90% on the test to do playoffs, three trys, if necessary, open book/open friend. State championship game officials are nominated by their association, with the number from each association proportionate to the number of schools they serve.

10. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I know this may sound harsh, but how many games a day are you doing? There are barely 7 weeks to our HS season and a Varsity game a day or a few DH’s a week doesn’t come close to 6 large.

11. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of states do double and triple headers. Work 6 days a week makes my approx $100 it wouldnt be that far off.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  12. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    Those top shirts would likely qualify one to work at a highway construction site directing traffic. At night.

dadman and frankieboylampard repped this.
  13. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, start up costs are just always a pain in the butt, right? Doing USSF is probably the worst. In my area, including referee uniforms, you're talking about $150 to start. That's being pretty generous, of course. You might make that money back in 4 or 5 games, but given that they don't want grade 8 working higher level matches, it's tough. You'll break even after 2 or 3 weeks and after about 2 months you'll start "gaining" money on average over minimum wage. It's one of the reasons that I promise anyone I recruit: I will pay all of your startup fees so you don't have to worry about anything, just pay me back within the year. I've had multiple people take me up on it, and it brings in more referees. It's an understandable hurdle.

High School, however, is a little bit easier. Even if you have different uniforms, like NISOA / these random "state-sponsored" uniforms / etc, high school is going to pay more. There's not a lot of places outside of DA that pay $50 for what amounts to a U15/U16 match (JV). In my area, it's 45/55 for JV, 55/75 for Varsity. $100-130 a night is pretty good, but you're right, with dues and other registration, it's probably $200 in start up. It'll take a couple games. But once you DO catch up, you'll be making money far quicker than the USSF rate. It's understandable that you would be irritated, and trust me, when you start college you'll be really irritated if you join NISOA (think $400-$500 in uniforms and fees). But of course, when you have some game fees ranging up to $1,000+, that's a little easier pill to swallow.

dadman repped this.
  14. Vinnydabody

Vinnydabody Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's where you really rake in the big klink, what with DOT overtime/night-pay differential and hazard pay. And you can use your AR flags!

Doug the Ref and voiceoflg repped this.
  15. Chaik

Chaik Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I looked up what a new official would have to do to join our HS board:

1. $40 dues (this is reduced- for all returning officials annual dues are equal to one varsity game check, which I think is $80, I don't know exactly because we also get mileage).
    2. One six hour training.
    3. One on field training (usually shadowing an experienced official at a play day).

Obviously they'd have to buy at least one NISOA jersey (so, $50ish I am seeing) but can usually get away with just yellow because as a new official they will be mostly doing middle school and low level JV duals and most of those guys and girls only wear yellow. Shorts, socks, whistle (although they may give you one, but I may be remembering my USSF grade 8 class back in antiquity).

I think you are in the door for $100 or so, and two days of your time, all told. You'll make that back doing two JV games or middle school doubleheaders. And you can work any day you want.

I think they cut down the prices substantially recently, I seem to remember paying the full boat on dues my first year, and also having to pay a fee for the training class.

EDITING TO ADD: Oh yeah, $25 to get a background check and fingerprinting is new. So call it three games to make back your investment.

16. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    There's not a lot of places outside of DA that pay $50 for what amounts to a U15/U16 match (JV). In my area, it's 45/55 for JV, 55/75 for Varsity. $100-130 a night is pretty good, but you're right, with dues and other registration, it's probably $200 in start up. It'll take a couple games. But once you DO catch up, you'll be making money far quicker than the USSF rate. It's understandable that you would be irritated, and trust me, when you start college you'll be really irritated if you join NISOA (think $400-$500 in uniforms and fees). But of course, when you have some game fees ranging up to $1,000+, that's a little easier pill to swallow.[/QUOTE]

In my area, U15 Recreational games pay $50 for the center. JV games are all duals, and pay $47 per ref. Varsity games pay $73 for the center and about $50 for the ARs. We have the second lowest high school rates in the state.

17. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To do HS in Central Iowa, you need to register with the Boys Athletic Association, the Girls Athletic Union, USSF and the local Referee Association (who assigns about 99% of the HS games). Total is approximately $150. Cost is very similar in Texas, but the moneys is differently distributed. USSF uniforms are used for HS games in both states.

I usually recover the costs in two outings ( usually a double headers). Each year I have to take the rules test (both Iowa and Texas) and attend training including an online rules update session (Iowa),

18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Just took it in my area.

so far:
    $60 Dues/class
    $99 One-time for state finger printing
    $92 for two old-style short sleeve shirts (because they are sticking with it. So I am expecting I will have to buy other shirts in the future)
    $40 deposit to the assignor (refs pay assignor based on games worked)

I will wear my USSF shorts with a piece of black duct tape over the logo.

19. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Reviewing the responses, it seems that all the veteran HS refs get used to whatever the costs are in their area (high or low). Because they are used to it, they are blind to the impact of these costs on beginning, young refs.

Yes, $200 is a barrier to entry - especially if you are limited to JV games for 2 years. If the powers that be are not aware of it, they shoud be.

Personally, I have always thought that entry costs should be close to zero for USSF teenaged refs, and same for 18+ HS refs.

"We really want you to join us in this difficult job. We need new blood, because all the refs around here have gray hair and sore knees."
    "Great!"
    "By the way, it'll cost you 200 bucks.
    "great"

dadman, Geko, VariableFeedback and 3 others repped this.
  20. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    Where I live, we have no state finger printing or funky shirts. We just use the new USSF yellow and green shirts with the 2-stripe socks. Our associationn also mandates that we must have reffed USSF for at least two years, be 18 years old or older and out of high school, and be in good standing with the association. To get center assignments, we have to attend a rules clinic. The total cost for me to start refereeing HS was $34.

21. Sam_C

Sam_C Member

Manchester City
    Brazil
    Jun 19, 2018
    I appreciate that you could empathize with me. In most areas of business having to pay to work is a sign that the job is a scam. Most jobs PAY for on the job training, they don't make you pay for it. In the end, I am happy to hear that my area is not an outlier but puzzled as to why this is the norm. Like you said, if you are really trying to get young new referees in the game, charging them ~$200 to start work is not the way to go.

22. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm trying to remember what the cost to start was here in Texas. I seem to recall that the re-certification cost was triple the intro cost ($25 vs $75). Chapters have assigning fees. Houston is $2.50 per game and you can earn $10 per hour of pre-season to cover those fees. Wichita Falls was a flat $20, which for low volume me, was $1.50-2 per game.

I really liked the low intro cost. Get people in the door, see if they like it/decided that the money is pretty good, then have them pony up the next year although I just looked and it appears that everyone is now $75.

23. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I'm just amazed that any association has so many referees with so little turnover that they can actually limit new referees to JV games for two years. I still remember my first high school game, which was AR2 for varsity boys in the largest classification of schools. My first dual, the next week, I was R1 for varsity boys and both teams were ranked in the top 10 in the state. Many of our games are something like JV dual at 4 and DSC varsity at 7. Anybody on the JV game is going to also be on the varsity game, maybe as AR, maybe as R, with someone who can't get away from work in the afternoon, or maybe someone who did an afternoon varsity game at a different school (usually one without a JV team) coming in as the third. It simply doesn't work in our world to only put someone on JV games, especially on days when there are more games to cover than there are referees in the association, never mind how many of those are available on a given day.

ilyazhito, Doug the Ref and YoungRef87 repped this.
  24. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    Exactly. My second public high school game ever, I will be an AR on a Varsity boys game. We simply don’t have the numbers for a “probationary period.”

ilyazhito repped this.
  25. Sam_C

Sam_C Member

Manchester City
    Brazil
    Jun 19, 2018
    Yeah, it is hard for me to believe as well and I am not sure they really have enough officials. I haven't worked in the organization so the only reason I can think of that makes this viable is that all of our league's HS games are duals until playoffs. My hope is that it is a 'soft' probationary period that might be expedited based on experience. There were a couple of new officials in my class that had never refereed soccer and only had officiating experience in basketball, lacrosse, and baseball (take that for what you will :rolleyes:).

ilyazhito repped this.