Barcelona signs Ben Lederman to academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by schrutebuck, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think people are necessarily writing him off. Rather noting that he's not performing at a level that makes it likely that he will break through at Barca.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We also rarely get to see him play 90 minutes games. And when he did with the U17s and at IMG, he didn't do anything to cause the board to go into a frenzy.

I think the board has gotten over being excited by a youngster JUST because he's at a "big club."

I mean, the name Ben Lederman has been around on these boards for a long time. He's no longer a 13 year old prospect. He's 17 years old.

Putting it another way.......................put these attacking and midfield players in order of age:

Ben Lederman
    Andrew Carleton
    Josh Sargent
    Jesus Ferreira
    Ayo Akinola
    Timothy Weah
    Blaine Ferri
    Taylor Booth

We tend to think of Ben Lederman like he's still a 14 year old and is an up-and-comer that's years away. We just think he's stashed over in Spain and we can check in 5 years from now. He's older than kids like Carleton and Ferreira that have already debuted in first team soccer.

That doesn't mean he isn't more talented or a better prospect..................we just haven't seen it. The US U17 staff certainly doesn't appear to be treating him like he's superior to the guys in the list above.

Eighteen Alpha and BostonRed repped this.
  3. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there are recent video on Lederman?

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Time will tell if not including Lederman on the current U17 NT was a statement about his playing level or John Hackworth's coaching and evaluating ability.

Peter Bonetti, ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.
  5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    That's the nature of talent evaluation. Players get better than others over time but that doesn't mean that they were better at that time 3 years earlier. Can't use hind sight as talent evaluation analysis.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also how they all fit together. He may be great in the Barca style but that may not translate everywhere else. Just like Corona looked bad in the US game the other day those mids that rely on quick combinations with teammates they've played with a while can look bad with a more meat and potatoes style.

beerslinger23 and Winoman repped this.
  7. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    He sure has grown a bit. This next year will help determine where he is in the scheme of things.

Check out @Ben_Lederman10's Tweet:

Alexisonfire and SlyEli repped this.
  8. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    If he's good enough for BArca or Barca B then he has to be in the 18 for the US point blank. We aren't there yet but once he's a pro, he's got to be given a chance. We don't have the luxury of choosing guys in our XI who "fit together with the team" and yet can't execute basic skills over our most skillful players. We have always had problems unlocking defenses, maybe that's not true anymore with the rise of this type of player.

Winoman repped this.
  9. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, it's not looking like he's on the path to appear for either Barca A or Barca B. And I think you overrate Barca B greatly. The top prospects are elite, but much of the team is filler.

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  11. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plying his trade in Poland now for
    KS RAKÓW CZĘSTOCHOWA

They play today (9am PST). Don’t suspect he will make 18 but I’ll update in about 30 in case he does.

Winoman repped this.
  12. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So...our boy is in the 18!!!

Dont know what number he is but I’ll keep tabs. I got the Ekstraklasa 30 day free trial.

Winoman repped this.
  13. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we should switch this over to Yanks Abroad Forum? He’s playing top flight European football.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman repped this.
  17. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    damn that’s amazing how daunting development is even at barca’s level

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #718 Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    I doubt many or even any major clubs see their U13s as a realistic pathway to the first team -- though, of course, getting just one player there would be a coup, given the acquisition cost of such a player relative to the price of a decade of his academy time.

Big clubs can attract top preteen players from around the world based on name, reputation and resources alone, then use them to measure and recruit other players' prospects for the next however-many years. Of course some big clubs don't need to bother, but that's another story.

Lederman's "classmate' Victor Gomez, of Espanyol's first team, is an interesting case. He started out at Espanyol, but he lasted four years at Barcelona before leaving for whatever reason -- they had lots of time to look him over. I would guess a 20-year-old who gets regular minutes in La Liga is worth something in the 7 figures if not more. Barcelona didn't get a dime that I can see. C'est la futbol.

Scotty and dougtee repped this.
  19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Also, to change gears slightly:
    • 7 of 23 players on that Infantil roster were born in January
    • 11 by end of March
    • 19 by end of June
    Lederman was born in May.

don Lamb repped this.