Ballardini Deathwatch

Discussion in 'Palermo' started by Salvatore Giuseppe, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Welcome back Davide Ballardini.

Last in charge Sept 2008-May 2009.

He was the last head coach before I started paying attention, under the short reign of Zenga.

He managed to beat both Roma and Juventus (the first time getting an away win against Juve in Serie A in 47 years)

Palermo finished 8th that season.

Beware though, the second manager of the season rarely seem to get as much leeway as the first (except in the not so rare instances of the first manager being fired almost immediately)

2. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
  3. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
  5. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Today is Ballardini's birthday. Reports all over that he has been fired. #happybirthday

all reports also saying its iachini coming back #sopalermo

harrylee773 repped this.
  6. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Ballardini's record: 1W 1D 3L. Only team he beat was relegation zone Frosinone.

Worst part is that Palermo has already started the process of selling off the players that were loyal to Iachini. Hopefully he'll have a chance to get new players in their place.

7. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    So it turns out that Ballardini got a stay of execution because (reportedly) Zampa and Iachini had an argument on the phone over transfer policy.

I don't expect it to last long.

8. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why hasn't this club been turned into a soap opera or reality show yet? The drama has been more exciting than the product on the field so far...

9. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Sorrentino had some rough things to say about Ballardini after the match.

The club published the remarks on the official website. Not a good sign for Ballardini

10. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    http://www.football-italia.net/78181/zamparini-i-wont-sack-ballardini

Unbelievably, Zampa says Ballardini is safe "for the moment." There's no excuse for that. Ballardini had zero interest in winning today, and he made that clear in his behavior during the game. Sorrentino also made it plain for all to see that the lead up was no different.

11. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Now the rumors are that Fabio Viviani will replace Ballardini.

Viviani was previously an assistant for Iachini, but has never managed a Serie A team before.

His best team finished lower midtable in Serie B, with another stint ending with him being fired halfway through a Serie B relegation season.

He was however previously an assistant for Edy Reja for several years, if that counts for anything.

I don't really know anything about him, but this is either an inspired choice, or a death sentence for Palermo.

12. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    In a whirlwind of rumors that the news couldn't keep up with, Guillermo Barros Schelotto has been appointed manager, effective immediately. Viviani will be in charge this weekend, and then remain as an assistant to GBS.

Interesting choice to say the least. First non-Italian manager hired by Zamparini (which is an astounding fact, when you think about the number of managers he has hired). First non-Italian for Palermo in 50 years

13. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked watching him when he played in MLS, save for when he played against the Fire. No idea what his connection to Palermo is, but I actually think it might work out based on nothing more than watching him play.

14. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville

He played in the style of Italy. He always looked to me like he should have played there.

15. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    http://www.football-italia.net/78219/zamparini-‘schelotto-palermo’

I guess that means it's a two-headed manager situation until the end of the season so Schelotto gets his feet wet. Six months gives Zamp plenty of time to sack him.

16. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Yeah I've seen that report, which seems different than what Palermo announced, with Zampa saying it would be Schelotto by next week against Udinese. But my Italian isn't good enough to really figure it out. Football Italia is the only source I can find saying anything about June still.

Schelotto has plenty of experience managing (though none in Italy), I don't see why he would need a co-manager.

17. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Ballardini has supposedly contacted Zamparini to discuss terminating his contract, as a result of not getting the signings he wanted. Presumably a striker is part of the reason (missing out on Balotelli is one thing, not having a backup in place when that happened is another), but so is not signing a veteran goalkeeper, something the two men have openly disagreed upon.

Zamparini has been adamant all window that the kids are good enough. That may well be, but it sure doesn't feel that way. It's going to take breakout seasons from one or two of them for this team to even hope to survive, much less mount any serious push for comfort.

Taib repped this.
  18. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, with how many coaches Zamp has terminated over the past year alone, I kind of forgot that coaches can also just leave. Looks like another long year ahead...

19. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    I've become slightly more optimistic about this team as the transfer window came to a close, as the team now appears to have a very solid back three and two good wingbacks. The midfield also looks like it should be ok. I have hope that this will compensate for the gaps up front and the possible problems in net.

Which is to say, I think Ballardini is 100% right in his complaints about the lack of a veteran goalkeeper and a striker who has a proven goalscoring record.

Posavec looks like he should be perfectly good in goal, and it worked alright for Milan last year, but having a veteran presence as a backup can't hurt. I don't think Ballardini was even looking to replace Posavec as a starter, just get in a mentor for him.

20. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Ballardini is gone, he left without making any statement to the press, while Roberto De Zerbi is apparently the new Palermo manager, and was at training today, though Palermo haven't issued a statement about either event yet.

21. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and so the De Zerbi deathwatch begins ¯\_(ツ)_/¯