Rumor: Baggio Hušidić - to Hammarby?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Corn, Dec 21, 2011.

1. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    [​IMG]

The guy who covers the Stockholm teams for swedish football website Fotbollskanalen published his ratings for this seasons new Hammarby players today.

He gave Husidic a 3/5 rating with the comment "One of Gregg Berhalters favourites. Personally I think that he's a little too slow with the ball and I haven't seen much of his ability to put his teammates in good scoring opportunities. Instead I think that his willpower and running capacity has been his best traits. Still, it would be a bit stingy to give "Baggio" a bad grade - so he get's an "okey" for his first season in Sweden."

2. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010

Preseason interview with Husidic.

m vann repped this.
  3. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    The two biggest swedish newspapers released their traditional season preview magazines this weekend. And like recent years I thought I would again provide some scans of the player ratings which are the most talked about parts of these magazines.

The Superettan sections of these magazines are much smaller and only have the ratings without comments. Only one of the magazines had ratings for Superettan last year and they gave Baggio a 3/5 rating back then when he first came to Sweden and that seems to have been an accurate prediction as he is again given 3/5 from both magazines.

[​IMG]

Tom Collingsworth and Testudo repped this.
  4. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Hammarby fansite Barabajen have started letting fans give 1-10 ratings to the individual players and manager as well as the overall team performance after each game. So I figured I might start posting these for the three Hammarby americans to give a bit more unbiased view then just what I thought personally. I'm posting the overall team rating for each game too so it the individual performances can be more easily compared to the overall team.

Things to note when it comes to Baggios ratings so far are that he was slightly better then the team average in the first game and slightly worse in the latest. I also think that the second game shows how opinions vary alot on his performances with similar amounts of people rating him anything from a 1 to a 6.

Game 1: 0-0 draw away against Ljungskile
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Game 2: 1-1 draw home against IFK Värnamo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Game 3: 2-1 win home against Örebro SK
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    I read on the Hammarby forum that Baggio apparantly had posted a picture on instagram where he celebrated having signed "a new contract in a new city". With the season not being over yet there was supposedly some backlash from Hammarby fans not happy with the celebratory tone when their very disappointing season isn't even over yet. This apparantly caused him to quickly remove it, but I guess it should be seen as a confirmation anyway. As for his play lately he's been on the bench alot since the new manager took over, although he does makes some appearances every now and then. One that stood out was a couple of games ago when he played central defender(!) due to injuries/suspensions to other players. I thought he did an ok job too in the unfamiliar position. Overall Hammarby improved a little after Berhalter left but not really enough to catch up to the top three teams.

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can the thread title be changed to replace "Baggio" with this dude's real name? It's borderline offensive...

7. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let it go.

8. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the club is calling you by your nickname in official press releases, it is safe to say that he doesn't object.

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Rapids fan do you know how many times, this season, I've asked Edson Buddle to change his name??? Countless. His first name is far more offensive to the man that actually occupies that real name than Husidic being nicknamed Baggio. Trust me. ;) :D

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #61 xbhaskarx, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
    I will let it go as soon as you agree to only refer to me as Messi Maradona Ronaldo Zlatan xbhaskarx

Which of Baggio's former clubs is calling Adis Husidic "Baggio" in offical press releases? Juventus? AC Milan? Inter Milan? Also why are these big clubs even bothering to mention some guy who can't cut it in the Swedish second division?

Wait, by "he" you mean Adis Husidic?? Of course HE doesn't object! On what grounds would he possibly object, because he's far too good a soccer player to be compared to the real Baggio?

11. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #62 GalaxyKoa, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    You're missing the point entirely.

If you want to be called Messi Maradona Ronaldo Zlatan, that's your business and quite honestly there is nothing wrong with it. Ron Artest can be Meta World Peace. Edson Buddle can be named after Pele without insulting Pele.

He goes by Baggio. It's not an affront to the legend of Roberto Baggio. It's not him saying "I'm as good as Roberto Baggio". It's his father giving him a nickname when he was younger and him using it. Mix Diskerud similarly got his nickname and uses it.

You're getting worked up over something that you've made up in your own head and you've decided to be offended.

12. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You realize that there are three players called Pele besides the famous one (plus one whose last name is Pele)? A nickname is not exclusive.

13. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    m vann repped this.
  14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    beamish and Scotty repped this.
  15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edson to Baggio is a bit of a downgrade though...

beamish repped this.