[B]Who is better Ronaldinho or Maradona?[/B]

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by lamrof, Nov 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lamrof

lamrof Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In Ronaldinho, I think we are witnessing the gamemanship of one of the greatest players the world had ever seen. Certainly in par with Mardona right now with a chance to surpass him in the future.

2. KnoccOut

KnoccOut New Member

Mar 1, 2005
    take it easy

3. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    Maradona as of now. Let's see what Ronaldinho does at the World Cup. However, Ronaldinho is not very far behind and does have far more tricks up his sleeve than Maradona (not that Diego needed all those to get past the opposition).

4. lamrof

lamrof Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Ronaldinho's passing has always been better than Maradona. His vision is incredible. He has some sick sick moves which are varied and he is freaking strong.
    Only thing missing is a world cup shine. He showed some brilliance in 02' but was robbed of it when he was redcarded.

I think Ronladinho will be the greatest next to Pele when all said and done.

5. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    I would say it is pretty much even in this department. Maradona had great passing and vision as well. I remember Careca saying it was easier for him to play at Napoli than Brazil because of Maradona's vision and passing.

His myriad moves are amazing. Here Ronaldinho beats Maradona and pretty much everybody except pre-injury Ronaldo.

Yeah, he needs to get that before he can be placed on the same or a higher pedestal compared to Maradona. However, even then there would be people saying Ronaldinho played for Brazil and was surrounded by great players whereas Maradona did it all by himself, and therefore is better.

6. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    This has to be one of the most ridiculous threads I have ever seen on here.

There is no doubt Ronaldinho is a fantastic talent who could go on to become an all time legend (which for what its worth I think he is more than capable of doing), but to compare him to a player like Maradona at this stage of his career is complete nonsense. He's been outstanding for Barcelona for around two years, but before that no-one would even consider him the best going - good yes, great no. Come back in about 8-10 years time and then we can look at comparisions such as this.

7. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    wow. talk about sinking to a new all time low. threads like this should be illegal.

8. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    Why is it ridiculous to compare the two? People everywhere were comparing a 20 yr old Ronaldo to Pele. So, why can't a 25 yr old Ronaldinho be compared to Maradona, especially based on skills and not career achievements? And why after 8-10 years? Maradona was finished after 29. Since when is it that a current player can be compared to a past great only after he retires or is nearing retirement? Ronaldinho has had an excellent WC (much better than Maradona's WC 1982, 1990, 1994 performances); he revived Barca single-handedly and led them to the la liga title; has already won lots of trophies with Brazil as well as highest personal awards; and is only one great WC performance away from Maradona's level (which ain't easy I might add).

9. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Talent wise? Ronaldinho without a doubt. He just needs to accomplish as much as Maradona, which he is on the way of doing. Also, he is not a drug addict, cheating, whinny Argentinian; Ronaldinho clearly has more class and is better for the game.

10. lamrof

lamrof Member

Apr 8, 2005
    I will not make a reidiculous argument such as Oh Maradona had it easy since the game was slower then, defenders gave strikers too much space before and some shiit like that. Based on skill and performance seen right now Ronaldinho is better. Give me one area he is not better.

11. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    Duck gave me a negative rep for complimenting Maradona's passing and vision. LOL! Lamrof said Maradona is worse than Ronaldinho; I said he is not and got a neg rep. Hilarious! Ok, Maradona's passing is better than anyone else's, including Pele's. Heck, Maradona's shooting, scoring ability, heading, goalkeeping, usage of both feet were better than anyone else's, including Pele. Happy now?

12. stevieg987

stevieg987 Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Wow 2 days ago people were saying he wasnt close to Zidane or Ronaldo now he is being compared to Marodana???

13. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    Before the WC 1986 goal against England, Maradona was (unfavorably) compared to Zico, Platini, and Francescoli. After, Cryuff, Di Stefano, Puskas and even Pele.

14. lamrof

lamrof Member

Apr 8, 2005
    I did not say Maradona is worse I said Ronaldinho is better. Come to think of it I cannot find any area where maradona is better. It is a true feeling. Need you to help me.

15. lamrof

lamrof Member

Apr 8, 2005
    For everymove you have for Maradona, I can get you two that of Ronaldinho. Most of the time Ronaldinho touches the ball you see something unusual, breathtakingly efficient and effective. I don't remember Maradona that way.

16. CL_2004

CL_2004 New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Ronaldinho is the better player right now because he is still playing.

Maradona is at anti-Bush rallies. :D

17. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    The ball used to remain almost glued to Maradona's feet. In terms of such close control, Maradona was better than Ronaldinho. As you correctly point out, there are areas, however, where Ronaldinho would be marginally better.

18. lamrof

lamrof Member

Apr 8, 2005
    I thought Zidane and Ronaldo are as good as Maradona. :D
    What are you hinting?

19. lamrof

lamrof Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Do you know its almost impossible to take the ball away from Ronaldinho? One of the reason for that is close ball control that other, which Maradona didn't have is, strength. You never see the ball a feet way from him even in full flight.

20. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    That is what I was getting at. In full flight or when confronted by several defenders, the ball would remain stuck to Maradona's feet but would be just a little bit away from Ronaldinho's. However, Ronaldinho makes up for this with his tricks, power and speed.

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ronaldinho has the goods, he has the talent, but he still cannot be up there with Diego. He is still young, though.

He needs to show more consistency, often he dissapears from a game, as anybody who followed the three-year long South American qualifiers knows.

And even though he won a WC and he played well, he hasn't taken over a WC the way Maradona did in 86. Let him do that, and then we can talk.

22. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Exacly.
    Maradona did not win a world cup alone! That is a myth! Argentina was a good team, stop repeating this ****************!
    Now that I said that, I can say that Maradona did A LOT for his NT.
    Ronaldinho was important at that England game and he did not do very much beyond it.
    He still has to show at the NT the things he does for Barcelona.
    Next year this comparison will be more valid, depending on what he can do.
    A good world cup can really put someone on the books.

23. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Whats all this about? Because he ran through an asleep Madrid defense?

Please guys, keep your pants on.

24. lamrof

lamrof Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In 02' Ronaldinho did much better than Maradona did in 82'. Maradona was famous for 2 games in 86' and a touch pass against Germany in the same year.
    Roanaldinho's performance against RM Yesterday is equivallent to Maradona's moves against England.
    On a side note- Famous players seem to make name for themselves in England's expense. :D

25. lamrof

lamrof Member

Apr 8, 2005
    After watching his performance against RM lots of ppl already are saying Ronaldinho is the second best ever after Pele.