AZZURRI vs Brazil Friendly (Feb 10th, 2009) [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by DIECI, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Heh, yeah. Would rather see a younger, fresher, faster, hungrier team. But who do we bring from the 'A' side and who do we leave at home?

2. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    One of my greatest wishes is to see Cigarini get a tryout if he finishes the season on a high note. I doubt Pirlo very much needs the extra exertion anyways.

Strikers --- I think we'll see Luca Toni here. His chemistry with Rossi is something that has been MIA for a while in our attacking half. I'd like to see that further explored. If Acquafresca ever gets going for Cagliari, then we might see him here as well. Floccari needs to be more consistent to force a call-up.

Midfield --- I'd like to see Palombo (very underrated IMO technically and defensively), Cigarini (obviously) and Maggio get a chance. Long Shot: Abate... the kid's pure dynamite.

Defense --- Motta has been solid for a while now and I suppose one could say the same about Criscito. And no, Davide Santon will not be getting a senior call-up anytime soon. Balotelli skipped the U19 level (not a great move, in hindsight, given the rarity of the honor) but even he is still an U21 international. Obviously Santacroce should be included and as it's only the Confederations Cup, I doubt ItalianMike will mind too much :p

And Buffon. He needs the minutes anyways. I know I've missed quite a few positions and whatnot but these are a few players that I think really need another shot at impressing Lippi or, in some cases, their very first shot.

3. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah, I agree with you on most of those, especially in the midfield and attack and Criscito. Buffon was one of my question marks, as are say, De Rossi and Chiellini. Younger players, but well established in the starting XI.

GKs: Buffon, Amelia, Abbiati
    DFs: Chiellini, Gamberini, Santacroce, Criscito, Balzaretti, Motta, De Ceglie
    MFs: De Rossi, Aquilani, Montolivo, Palombo, Cigarini, Marchisio, Abate, Maggio
    STs: Gilardino/Toni, Acquafresca, Floccari, Rossi, Cassano/Miccoli

Maggio can play RB is needed, even if I think he's a 3-5-2 winger at the moment...I know Criscito is somewhat slight to play CB right now but I couldn't think of anyone else besides Canna and Legro...I hear Ferrari is doing well at Genoa, maybe him (although he himself will be 30 this year). Marchisio is raw, but I would like to let De Rossi loose a bit, so a vice-DM to Palombo would be nice, couldn't think of anyone other younger players (except maybe Donadel).

Oh, and Pazzini is a wildcard, have to see if he keeps this scoring up.

4. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It will most likely be our youth or younger team at the Confed Cup. I want to see Balotelli.

5. llewelyn

llewelyn New Member

Nov 5, 2007
    I think you guys are forgetting that the Conf. Cup runs at the same time the u-21 championship does. While one or two of the u-21s may get a senior call-up before the summer, I doubt any of them will be on the Conf. Cup roster (other than Rossi of course, who's already made the jump).

6. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ahhhh, that's right. Forgot about that.

7. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  8. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
  9. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    Darn. The crappy part is that it's not like they're going to win the U21 trophy with Casiraghi's inability to change tactical set-ups and *speculation* maybe even motivate his players.

10. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah, 4-3-3, even with Abate on the right (rather than another striker, as we had before with Rossi) is a little too unbalanced against good sides. 4-4-2 like this would be much better IMO:

Consigli
    Motta - Santacroce - Andreolli - Criscito
    Abate - Marchisio - Cigarini - De Ceglie
    Balotelli/Acquafresca - Giovinco​

11. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    Nice. We could do some real damage with this set-up... have Marchisio and Cigarini ever been paired in midfield before (sorry, my memory's going)? Because I can see a Pirlo - De Rossi dilemma cropping up from that.

12. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Can't say for certain off the top of my head; it's usually been Dessena - Cigarini - Marchisio in a 4-3-3/4-3-2-1. However, I don't think we'd have that kind of congestion with Marchisio and Cigarini, as I don't think Marchisio likes to dictate play as much as De Rossi (at least not now, maybe as he matures). Plus the 4-4-2 spreads the field a little more evenly as opposed to a 3-man midfield, where the centre is always crowded, even just by design.

13. Italia56

Italia56 Member

Aug 10, 2007
    wtf if he didnt come back to win the world cup y did he come back

14. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    Hey guys, you can't believe what I just read over on the US forum. Some nutter was saying he'd rather have Landon Donovan than Totti and Del Piero and that having Cassano on the US team would bring Landon some "competition". They have a Rossi international play thread on the Yanks Abroad section of the forum (where some guy also claimed that Rossi was still unproven with the Azzurri... after 3 caps) so if you're desperately in need of a good LOL, I suggest you check it out.

15. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

LOL post the link of the delusional fan saying Donovan is better then Totti or Del Piero, with there age and injuries I would rather take Totti or Del Piero in a heartbeat, even if both were each 40 years old and Donovan was in his prime.

There is a Thread in the U.S. Forum about Danny Szetela being a potential winger on the U.S. national team. The guy plays on Brescia and I'm not even sure he starts. LOL

16. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    :eek::eek:

Well I'll be .... I'd take Totti with one leg over Landon Donavon. Who is Donavon anyway? :D

17. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's nothing.

I remember on the WC 2006 USA-vs-Italy thread in the American forum there were people saying that Keller was way better than Buffon, that 'the Gooch' was better than Nesta/Cannavaro, that Mastroeni was on par with Gattuso and so on.

About Rossi....just imagine what will happen if in the Conf Cup he starts against he US, scores a brace and celebrates... :D

18. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL. Surely they can't be that stupid

19. Italia56

Italia56 Member

Aug 10, 2007
    just watch fox soccer report u'll be surprised

20. Azzurra

Azzurra New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They are playing for the Azzurri and trying to show what they're capable of to Lippi and they need motivation? They should roll out of bed every morning ready to go for the chance to one day play in the senior side at international level. Perhaps he doesn't think he has to explain to them that this is the Azzurrini and they are one step away from the Azzurri (as soon as one cigar-chomping old man retires and is replaced by someone who understands that "youth" is not the "under 30" level).

21. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    Azzurra, this is how it should be. But the Azzurrini have been looking sluggish throughout Casiraghi's tenure... I'm just speculating that it may be an issue of motivation, but it's more likely due to that damn 4-3-3 we always seem to play.

22. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    I thought he plays 4-3-2-1.......

Anyway, Palladino (Remember him) fizzled out after the 2007 U21 Championship where he was Casiraghi main man...

23. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I watched the last USNT game against Mexico, they're actually pretty good on defense and decent attacking from the wings. Mexico was really bad, so I'm not sure if it's a good measuring stick. I think they'll actually make a good run in the next world cup.

24. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They are better than what people think. By 2014 the USA will have a decent shot to win the World Cup because by that time people like Adu, Altidore, Bradley and others will have been together for about 10 years and will still be relatively young. This is a long time to build so maybe in Brazil 2014 they could go one round better than 2002 and make the semis.

25. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    if "decent chance" = 1/1000 then yes, i agree...:p.

bradley will never be anything other than a decent dutch league player at best, which ain't saying much given that the dutch league is now arguably below not only the top 5 of eng, spain, italy, bundesliga, and france, but on par and even below portugal, turkey, greece, scotland and romania imho.