Awesome Rant by Grimsby Town Fan

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by Caesar, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    For those that don't know, they just got relegated from the league.

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1271541289/

2. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Utterly hilarious!

3. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Passion. This is what the game is all about.

4. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    They could still escape by winning their last two games and hoping Barnet only pick up a point from theirs. As fate would have it, one of the games is Grimsby v Barnet on Saturday :eek:

5. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
  6. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Call me presumptuous, but I still think Grimsby going down is a certainty in everything but mathematics.

7. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    :D

Still think it's a certainty?

If Grimsby win at Burton and Barnet fail to win at home to Rochdale, Grimsby escape. And Cheltenham could still theoretically go down if both Grimsby and Barnet win and they lose, with a swing of seven required in goal difference. Grimsby are still clear favourites to go down, but it's not by any means a certainty.

8. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Bet this bloke probably sees the world in a whole different light after today's result. :D

9. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Grimsby's no chance to beat Burton. Count on it. ;)

10. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How big of a difference is there between League Two and the Conference on the field?

Just curious.

11. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Big.

The money involved is massively different.

12. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It is, but a lot of clubs save a chunk by being part-time.

Overall, there doesn't seem to be a noticeably bigger gap in playing standards between the conference and League Two than the gaps between the other football league divisions. If anything, it's getting harder for relegated clubs to bounce back, as there's quite a collection of ex-League clubs in the conference now.

13. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Teams like Oxford, Cambridge, Luton, and Mansfield could certainly compete financially with a fair amount of teams in League 2, and in terms of playing standards as well there isn't a whole lot of difference between the lower half of League 2 and the top tier of the Conference. The bottom of the Conference though is a whole different ball game. It's simply miles away from the standards of league football.

14. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I saw an analysis somewhere of "first time returners", i.e. teams that were relegated the first season after being promoted. Unlike the top four divisions, I don't think there's been a single case of a team being promoted from the Conference and relegated the following season back to it during the 20 odd years we've had promotion from the Conference. Some of this was probably due to a "logjam" of better-run non-league that were stuck there due to lack of pro/rel before that, but that effect should have run its course by now.

15. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    And yet Accrington, Morecambe, Burton and Cheltenham were all playing below the Conference ten years before they were promoted to the Football League. I take your point though:- the gap between the Conference and its north and south feeder leagues does seem to be widening. Many promoted teams are going straight down again, and the bottom of the Conference is seeing a bunch of teams stuck there year after year until relegated.

16. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your fans showed some real passion against Crystal Palace. [​IMG]

17. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Do you do anything besides troll? I only ever see you posting provocative stuff in other people's forums.

18. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crickey, this isn't trolling. This isn't even Sheffield Wednesday's forums. I just happened to be passing through here and I saw him writing about 'passion.'

19. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    One problem is that the ex-League clubs just tend to have much better support. The likes of Wrexham can pull double the crowds of someone like Altrincham or Salisbury, and it makes it much harder to compete. I doubt the gap between the bottom half of the conference and League Two is really any bigger than the gap between the bottom half of League Two and League One. And it's much smaller than the ga[ between the bottom of the championship and the premier league.

Ideally the football league could to expand to support another 12 full-time clubs, but logistically it's not really possible.

20. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Well, you were right in the end :)

21. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a tough day for all those teams that went down today. Look at Gillingham. The Gills had three teams below them, counting Hartlepool, and they all get results to pass them, while they lose to already relegated Wycombe. That's gotta hurt.

22. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's a tough day for all those involved. As a Hartlepool fan every minute today was agony followed by an amazing sense of relief. I don't want to get in to an argument about "true" football fans as a fan is a fan, but, unless for example you were Man Utd fan in 1974 fans of these teams have no idea what this agony, ecstacy and frustration is like.

Good luck to all those who got relegated next year (except Darlington...evil laugh!!).... and I will dream that Hartlepool will pull off a miracle and challenge for promotion.

-Richard

23. Mello Yello

Mello Yello New Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bye bye Grimsby. Have fun playing in Conference.

Love,
    Lincoln City

24. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I must confess, I found this rant while indulging in a bit of schadenfreude myself.