Australia vs Spain - Curitiba - June 23 [R]

Discussion in 'Group B: Spain, Chile, Australia, Netherlands' started by el-capitano, Jun 18, 2014.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    #1 el-capitano, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
    Mon, Jun 23
    Arena da Baixada, Curitiba
    [​IMG] Australia v. [​IMG] Spain

Kickoff: Curitiba (1300), Melbourne (0200), Spain (1800)​

Will Spain leave with some dignity, or can Australia continue their good form and get a deserved win, albeit without Tim Cahill?

I'll leave the flags to Nutter. :D

2. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    3-1 for Australia with nother bad goalkeeping by Casillas.

3. Surinamese-man

Aug 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Surinam
    Very hard to say,Spain is tired and mentally broken.Ok,i think it will be 2-1 for Spain they will show for the last time their Tiki Taka system to the world with their last strength they have.

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember watching Spain v. Bulgaria in 1998. Spain completely dominated the match, but every goal they scored was celebrated with a "meh, we're eliminated." I can see a similar result here...or even an Australia victory - they don't stop.

5. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Good luck you guys!

DutchLion repped this.
  6. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    interesting match from a betting perspective. most people will back spain. here in vegas australia is +800. awfully tempting to take the aussies seeing as how spain is tired and probably doesn't give a crap anymore. the aussies play hard every game and want a win badly. the humidity will be at 88% tomorrow in curitiba. australia is better equipped to deal with the hot @SS weather than spain is. spain has struggled with fast, youthful, high pressure teams. this is basically how australia plays. what's the incentive if you're a spanish player to give 110% effort in this one?

the aussie's like to send their fullbacks to attack. spain doesn't have the pacey wingers required to exploit the high line of australia. cahill being out takes away australia's most clutch scorer. i'll need to see the spanish lineup to make a call on this. if it's the usual group then i think australia can win. if del bosque gives the kids a shot then i think spain might win.

7. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    That's what I'm worried about- if he does play a more 'B' squad who do have something to prove, then it could get messy.

(Everyone note that I avoided the pun :D )

8. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Spain lineup

Reina, Juanfran,Albiol, Ramos, Alba, Alonso, Koke, Cazorla, Iniesta, Villa, Torres

9. karpouzeiro

karpouzeiro Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    go go Australia

MrOranjeBal repped this.
  10. kakuen

kakuen Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Spain looks better without Costa.

11. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Anyone else thinking Costa could be a massive flop at Chelsea? He's looking very much like a one-season wonder system player.

Krajiska Krv repped this.
  12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I wouldn't judge Costa based on Spain completely ignoring him. Anyway good to see Koke involved but that aside it is yet another meh line-up without any of the changes that Spain clearly requires.

13. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Costa doesn't fit with Spain he doesn't fit their system I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't call him up ever again. I think Costa would excel in a German or English team not on the spanish NT.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    they're stuck with him. He's scored so much that he'll have to be called up. :(

15. kakuen

kakuen Member

Jun 27, 2005
    It was a wrong decision, Costa didn't perform at all in their first two matches. Spain plays much better football today, the fact that this is not a decisive match and they feel less pressure contribute to their flowing football today.

16. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No they are not forced to call him. Spain is stocked with young talent they don't need a Brazilian mercenary.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I am aware of this but what I mean is "practically every NT call up players based on form of club" regardless of how they do with the NT. Crazy I know. Some guys are world class with club but very poor for the NT and yet will still get call ups.

18. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Meh. We're not playing as well as the last two, plus Spain are making good overlapping runs. We're not keeping possession properly and are looking tired.

19. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    David Villa is still (and will be for the next 2 years) the best forward Spain has.

20. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    He's going to rip it up in the A-League

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    So I guess Spain won't be the worst team at the World Cup...

22. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Spain reaction to scoring goals in this game is like meh we don't give a damn lol reminds me of their 1998 win over Bulgaria when they were eliminated in group stage.

23. karpouzeiro

karpouzeiro Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    :(

zahzah repped this.
  24. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I still don't know how Spain went so badly this tourney? Look at the depth. They bring on Mata, Fabregas & Silva. We bring on Halloran and Troisi. Great guys but not of the quality of Spain.

25. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Poor Australia