Austin,Texas

Discussion in 'Austin FC' started by G Enriquez, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LainfordExpress

Columbus Crew SC; Los Angeles FC; Heart of Midlothian FC, Arsenal FC
    United States
    Jul 1, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn’t the USFL win an anti-trust suit against the NFL? If that’s how that never happened, I don’t see how anyone can believe it’ll last for MLS.

2. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Um, the NASL was to MLS what the XFL or WFL were to the NFL. Not sure upstart as much as wanna be.

Single entity for MLS provided legal protections, and hid the fact that the 10 original teams had what, 3 (or thereabouts) owners.

None of the team owners in the big four care that the leagues aren't single entity. Yet, I would agree that single entity will remain in MLS until there is a reason to change. I'm not sure there is much real difference between MLS's single entity structure and that of other leagues.

3. Feraligatr19

Feraligatr19 Member

United States
    Dec 6, 2017
    MLS in March: "This filing serves as notice that we will stop playing Columbus."

Crew now: "We are selling season tickets for 2019 in Columbus (bot not Austin)."

Me: "Wut"

How can that March filing be considered notice, given the season ticket renewals? Would that actually hold up in court? From a normal, logical point of view, it's total bs. But I basically know nothing about legal matters, so maybe there is some weird, f*cked up way that works for MLS.

4. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    I'd be interested in the full statement about notice from March. In particular, did they say when they planned to stop playing in Columbus? It seems if they plan to move in 2020 or 2021, the notice from March would apply, if the time frame was stated. If they said they plan to move after the 2018 season, they have contradicted themselves, again.

5. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yes, the USFL won damages of $1 trebled to $3.00. Then folded. But that wasn't exactly a win for the NFL as they remain an adjudicated anti-trust violator and have lost cases since such as American Needle (about merchandise sales). It's why the union decertifies every time there is a lockout or strike.

6. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The Notice issue doesn't matter much now since the case has started and the parties have been served. The point of the notice requirement is to prevent someone from losing their rights due to silence by another party. The city and state can't plausibly claim to be unaware that PSV wants to move the Crew to Austin. The argument is about when the 6 month period started. PSV claims it started last October. As long as the period is tolled, as it currently is, then it doesn't matter much.

7. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because your not against it does not mean you support it. The vast overwhelming viewpoint I have experienced is interest and curiosity with no significant position for or against.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  8. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is some truth to this, but it had more to do with him finding a daddy warbucks billionaire partner who wanted to do it in Orlando not Austin. Also, the conclusion that no stadium deal downtown was possible -- which proved to be true.

9. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually................he didn't find Flavio until several years AFTER moving to Orlando.....

10. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brendan Flood was the original Orlando Daddy Warbucks who wanted to be in Orlando. Flavio came along later as you say. A bigger daddy warbucks.

11. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
  12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think supporters either don't know or have completely forgotten about the history of sports stadiums in Austin.

14. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    With the Haslams buying the team in Columbus, Austin now has more clarity. They get Precourt and a team when they have a place to play. Seems like it may not happen until the stadium at McKalla opens. The current roster is staying in Columbus along with the name and history.

TrueCrew repped this.
  15. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so both cities get a team
    the best result for everybody

TrueCrew repped this.
  16. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Statement on Austin
    Major League Soccer is excited to move forward in Austin with Precourt Sports Ventures and their vision for Austin FC. Regardless of any scenario in Columbus, there is a clear path forward for PSV to operate Austin FC as a Major League Soccer club.

The strong support from Austin’s corporate community, government officials and passionate soccer fans is impressive. Austin is a flourishing, dynamic city that presents a great opportunity for MLS, and we look forward to finalizing plans to become the first major league team in the capital of Texas.

While timing for Austin FC is still to be finalized, we are confident that the team will begin play no later than 2021 at the new, privately financed stadium and soccer park at McKalla Place. We applaud the Austin community, city leaders and Precourt Sports Ventures for their commitment to making this happen."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...ners-emerge-potential-buyers-columbus-crew-sc

17. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But no comment from Precourt or PSV in that press release. Possibly mildly interesting.

18. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I'm curious about the "strong support from Austin's corporate community". What the heck does that refer to? Some other interested parties have threatened suits against the McKalla proposal. What prominent businesses have come out in support of Precourt?

19. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PRECOURT SPORTS VENTURES: "The strength and resiliency of Austin supporters and elected officials have helped create a successful foundation for Austin FC to be a proud community platform, and PSV is incredibly excited for what lies ahead." #growthelegend #cultivalaleyenda

20. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018
    Sponsorships and corporate support has already been in the works. From our information, businesses have been lining up to be a part.

21. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's keeping them from announcing?

I think you are hearing BS.

LainfordExpress repped this.
  22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Basically, pics or it didn't happen.

I don't think anyone has heard a peep, except the Hipster 6, who are likely being fed a pile of shit by Greeley.

TrueCrew, stanger and Minnman repped this.
  23. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s out the window now.

I expect a full list of corporate sponsors to be released this week.

But we both know that won’t happen because AP has been full of it from day 1.

TyphonInc repped this.
  24. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do think it is put up or shut up time for AP in Austin. If it falls apart there, he is out as an owner (I/O) in short order. YMMV on how they do it.

25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not difficult if it's going to be privately financed.