Austin Option...

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by Stephen Heisler, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Corpus Christi Fuel, Galveston Pirate SC, Tulsa Lobos, and Regals FC (The Woodlands) have grouped together to form the Southern Premier Soccer League.

Club America has added an academy level team in South Houston, the Texas Lonestrikers are playing in Nacadoches, and the PDL RGV Bravos have changed thier name and joined the league.

Why not Austin? Why not a team that could be owned by the supporters? You have an outstanding group and would be welcomed with open arms.

Our season runs Septermber to June, although we may run a bit deeper into next summer as we add new teams for the reset in April. Austin could certainly fit into those plans. With 36-40 matches a year, spread out over ten months, I believe that we would be the best option for success in Austin.

I have extended the option to Phil to keep the Aztex alive with us, either way, Austin would be a great addition to our league.

The SPSL by-laws allow teams to have professional players. We have access to the US Open Cup.

I invite you all to take a good look at what we are doing.

Thanks,

Stephen Heisler
    http://thespsl.com

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Welcome to BigSoccer. I love the enthusiasm with which you are posting, but please, please, please step back and take a breath before hitting submit.

You've got all of these ideas, but they've all got holes in them big enough to float an aircraft carrier.

A group of 30-50, or even 300-500 "supporters" is not going to cover the hundreds of thousands of dollars of start-up costs and mostly losses to get a PDL level team going.

"Hey, let's start a soccer team" may work in the local rec league, but at this level, it's just not even remotely viable.

The key for Austin is to identify potential owners. Rich people willing to make a long term investment and lose money - lots of money.

3. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    hi Stephen.. can you share more details on what it takes to get started? any fees associated with league membership?

4. bmantx

bmantx Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stephen Heissler has been around Big Soccer for quite a while Andy so why are you welcoming him? Just to be snarky? By the way he has put his money where his mouth is.

I think a strong Texas League is taking shape and Heisler is involved in moving it forward. Austin would be a fantastic addition if the Aztex do indeed go away.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm not being snarky at all. The only thing I know Stephen from is his recent spate of posting absolutely asinine minor league soccer ideas in various forums here. From something about pro/rel between D3-D5, ignoring the fact that there really is no D4 or D5 in the U.S. soccer pyramid. Sure, there are a few "pro" teams in the short season college summer amateur leagues, but D3 is the bottom of the barrel. Then there's his solution to the problem of finding markets for D2 - just give teams away. Namely Jerry Jones, the Glaziers, Bidwell, and others. Hey, the Mexican National Team rocked the new Cowboys Stadium, imagine what Jones would do with a free D2 team, he'd make MLS weep (I'm paraphrasing). Completely ignoring the fact that nothing is free, and MLS tried to give the Mutiny to Glazier and I'm pretty sure Jerry Jones could've acquired the Dallas Burn back in the day for a twelve pack of Pepsi and some Doritos.

Now this.

It's inane, nonsensical, and completely foolish. Like I said, I love his enthusiasm, but even the most cursory examination of any of his big ideas that I've seen makes them complete foolishness.

I want Austin in D2. But I'd rather focus on achievable, realistic methods than waste cycles on stuff like this.

6. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
  7. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From something about pro/rel between D3-D5
    Why the heck not? It happens elsewhere and it can happen within the SPSL.

ignoring the fact that there really is no D4 or D5 in the U.S. soccer pyramid.
    So what do you call the NPSL, PDL, NSSL, and SPSL? D5 is the top level of adult men's teams that register through state associations.

Sure, there are a few "pro" teams in the short season college summer amateur leagues, but D3 is the bottom of the barrel.
    Charleston is not "bottom of the barrel" and they are going to stay D3. A short summer season and what we are doing are entirely different things. The SPSL allows professionals on our rosters. It is in our by-laws.

Then there's his solution to the problem of finding markets for D2 - just give teams away. Namely Jerry Jones, the Glaziers, Bidwell, and others. Hey, the Mexican National Team rocked the new Cowboys Stadium, imagine what Jones would do with a free D2 team, he'd make MLS weep (I'm paraphrasing). Completely ignoring the fact that nothing is free, and MLS tried to give the Mutiny to Glazier and I'm pretty sure Jerry Jones could've acquired the Dallas Burn back in the day for a twelve pack of Pepsi and some Doritos.
    If I am an NFL owner, I do not like the MLS model. Far too restrictive. Same goes for Glazier and Jones. If Jones was able to get FCD now, and able to buy his own groceries... The bottom line is simple, let the market regulate the product. If 100,000 fans a game show up, the team can afford to go after A-List players. A guy like Jones is not interested in a team that can not fight it out to be the World's best. Could a Jones owned D2 team make a run at being the World's best? Yes, especially if those 100,000 fans hang on for the ride.

It's inane, nonsensical, and completely foolish. Like I said, I love his enthusiasm, but even the most cursory examination of any of his big ideas that I've seen makes them complete foolishness.
    There are two kinds of people in this world. The talkers that just talk, and the doers. A year ago, when we first started my team, Regals FC, nobody wanted to hear about a natural season, nobody wanted to hear about a little team that came up from the bario. People are listening now. People from Hawaii to Florida are inquiring about getting involved in the SPSL. Why? because the model is simple and workable.

The bottom line is this. Is what we are doing good for the game? Certainly. Can we help get players to the higher levels? Yes.
    [​IMG]

8. Waterloo 11

Waterloo 11 Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi Steven,
    It is an interesting suggestion of a supporter owned team in Austin. More details would be great. I know that the fees involved for NPSL are very tiny compared to PDL fees.
    A locally owned club as opposed to a franchise is the best way to ensure that one person doesn't make a decision to move a franchise or remove all support for a franchise. The con to that is that the club will be a minnow in the US soccer pyramid.

Austin does have a new team that is going to play in the NSSL next year (National Star Soccer League), their name is Austin Millenium FC. It has affiliation with a local youth club setup. That league is going to have between 5-10 team division in Texas next year. But I don't know anything else about it.

Have you reached out to that league about your setup?

9. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still not clear on whether these things are even in the US soccer pyramid. Having access to the Open Cup is good, but beyond that are these really official, USS- and FIFA-sanctioned entities?

In my view there are far too many "minnow" organizations. Shouldn't they all just fold into the PDL (acknowledging that not all of them can afford to do so or compete at that level, in which case they should drop any pretensions of professionalism)? I'm not trying to be negative, but I'm a big believer in the notion that we need to keep US soccer as streamlined and unified as possible.

10. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    I suspect that the PDL may have higher fees. Also, the PDL season is terribly short.

11. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NSSL (and NPSL) operate under the authority of the USASA. My league, the Southern Premier Soccer League is USSF sanctioned through US Club Soccer.

The NSSL is not much more than a regional spanish league. The concept is good, but the teams do not operate at the same standard as the NPSL, USL, or our league.

If Rawlings takes the bait and leaves the organazation intact to play in the SPSL, Austin fans will be very happy with the level of play. The SPSL is an open league, meaning that players under professional contracts are allowed to play. If Austin can afford to pay a few players, so be it.

For the record, I am not paying any of our guys...yet. As soon as we are able to, we will.

If Rawlings just pulls up... the supporters group will have my full support to quickly place a team into the city. We are restarting the league for new teams in April before beginning our first full ten-month natural season in September.

I expect to see a few more PDL defections in the next three weeks. Hartman may also rethink his situation in San Antonio and discover that the SPSL just makes more sense at this point. We also have a group in San Marcos that is working on a proposal for a soccer-specific stadium, with beer sales.

You can call me directly for more info..
    832-445-9983
    http://thespsl.com