Austin FC 2021 Officially Announced as #27

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by NashSC, Jan 15, 2019.

1. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I have a scarf that says "My other team is whoever is playing the Sounders".

tomásbernal repped this.
  2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Texas outside of D/FW and Houston, it’s mostly accurate. When I checked a few years back, something like 80% of Hispanic folks (as in folks who speak Spanish as a first language) in Texas were from Mexico.

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People are looking for anything to get upset about lol

Speaking of Houston, as a Quakes fan where is this level of animosity for the Houston Dynamo? You know, the team that was actually stolen from San Jose, unlike Austin which we now know will be an expansion team and not the Crew who have been #saved back in Columbus...

4. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand corrected.

That being the case, perhaps that provides someplace for the Galaxy to offload Gio Dos Santos?

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m sorry that we don’t hate your ex-boyfriend as much some will hate Columbus’ ex-boyfriend.

Are you familiar with the spending habits (or the lack thereof) of the owners of FCD and the Dynamo?

6. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For starters, Houston was an expansion team. San Jose was officially in hiatus for a couple years.

As for Columbus, they are an expansion team while Austin is officially a relocated team.

You can certainly argue that these designations fly in the face of reality, but the narrative is what it is.

7. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of those folk have been there since long before Tejas being a country was an idea.

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those folks are generally don't speak Spanish as a first language, however, which is why I made that distinction.

El Naranja repped this.
  9. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but Texas will have three teams now. :)

Still working on a way to convince the Austin FO that Vadim Demidov would be an excellent pickup...

hipityhop repped this.
  10. whereiend

whereiend Member

Dec 26, 2014
    Eh, this is one idiot's opinion. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see at least one DP spot go to a Mexican International, but I don't think that is going to be the primary marketing strategy by any means. Focusing on building a quality team and atmosphere will obviously deliver better returns than a bad team filled with players who happen to be from Mexico.

11. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Eh. Some folks may be pissed about a potential star or two being stolen from San Jose's crest, but to be honest, AEG so poisoned the well in San Jose that (outside of the SG folk and STH's) the departure of the Quakes was a gigantic 'meh.'

Bill Archer repped this.
  12. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Sure. It was an "expansion" team with a roster complete from San Jose that won MLS cup in its first two seasons as an "expansion" team. :whistling:

Justin O and superdave repped this.
  13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shame, really. That Dyno/Quakes dynasty might be the best in league history. Right there with early DC in my book. If LD had stayed attached to it, lookout.

Late era Donovan/Becks/Keane Galaxy is the only other team in discussion.

SierraSpartan repped this.
  14. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, no one in Houston with a mind and millions of dollars in money for MLS to come to town was in a bidding war with AEG to secure their relocation project from Northern California to Gulf Coast Texas. I posted this in our Houston boards today as the topic came up with Austin and their fans now getting Precourt and what to expect like what we were to expect with AEG being forced on us. AEG stole your team partner. Recall that in December of 2005 when the hammer dropped on your loyal fan base by AEG's desired relocation project, us following MLS here in Houston back in the day did know a screwing might be coming our way, all one had to do was have followed AEG's handling of the entire process leading up to December of 2005 and know just what kind of cut throat folks were forcing a move to our great city and in the name of screwing over their loyal fan base, a team with a winning history. Which is what AEG did to y'all San Jose soccer folks.
    Also, recall, there was speculation from MLS HQ in 2004 and 2005 that Club America, to follow Vergara and his Chivas USA project in MLS, they would come in with some bid to expand a new MLS franchise somewhere in the U.S. or AEG moving somewhere but again no big owner or biding war was held by anyone in Houston. The talk was always that Houston would need a local owner to secure a stadium site and build their own SSS, then get Garber to rubber stamp the new expansion team to Houston. What is always weird is that AEG wanted out of a college gridiron stadium in San Jose as renters with San Jose St. University...to then relocate their SJ MLS team to of course a city in the Gulf Coast of the U.S.A. (with little history of pro soccer support) and U of H with its college gridiron stadium as renters once again! On top of this with ZERO land acquired ahead of time, a plan to build on, and no stadium designs in mind.
    Us in Houston can only imagine the San Jose fans reaction to hearing the above I just posted. In reality, AEG is moving an original MLS team. One that hosted the very first game. All cuz AEG did not want to continue as renters at a college. To then move to a new city and continue to be renters at a college. Ouch it was for you San Jose folks! But never say Houston stole the Quakes, please, thank you.

Kejsare and Bill Archer repped this.
  15. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Texas has more than 3 teams.

They Have El Paso, RGV, San Antonio, Austin Bold, FC North Texas all in Division 2. Not counting anything lower than that.

16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCNT will play in D3.

17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Future MLS and U.S.A. star Stuart Holden and Canuck NT player Adrian Serioux were two huge upgrades to this complete San Jose roster you speak of my friend. Stuart, a local kid via his Scotland Daddy moving to town, a player that thought his career was over gets a tryout and goes on to really shine. Eventually hits one of the deciding penalty kicks against the Revs in MLS Cup 2006. Serioux and late season signing of "Daggers", Kenny Dalglish's son, Paul Dalglish really were the twin players that put our backline and forward positions respectively over the top in 2006 to win a trophy like MLS Cup my friend. Serioux could easily play the backline with Eddie Robinson but also play the #6, which he did. Giving our new look squad a much more robust defensive spine. Something the Manny Lagos, Landon Donovan with Mark Chung and Troy Dayak era even did not posses. Ya know, the San Jose teams in 2001 and 2004 that won MLS Cup. Those players that never played on day for us in Houston just two years later in 2006.
    We also cut Ronald Cerritos early on and Ale Moreno saw less and less of time at forward. Those both were key players for your Quakes in 2005. Just saying our starting XI roster was upgraded significantly in defense, midfield and forward just 8 months later in 2006 than it was in San Jose that same time in 2005.

Then the actual winning of MLS Cup 2006. As we all know about MLS regular season and then the short run/get hot late MLS playoffs culture, the addition of Holden, Serioux and Dalglish, players that never played in San Jose blue and black, were vital to winning the playoff run as we did.
    Also, if your San Jose team is moved to Miami or St. Louis or Des Moines Iowa, they are not winning MLS Cup 2006. There was such a love and genuine supporter culture that sang and pushed AEG's relocation project on after the quick relocation. Plus us in Houston had just four months prep time to get our ducks in a row and get MLS running in our city. Hell crap son, we didn't even know our team name or what color our home jersey was going to be until 2 f'n weeks before opening night kickoff. Portland, Seattle, Orlando, Minnesota and Nashville had USL teams to build off of in expansion. Years to prep their ship for launch. In Atlanta's case they had what 4 years lead up time to build their organization and get to know they would one day be playing in that kick ass Mercedes Dome Stadium! Us in Houston had AEG say, go to your local college gridiron stadium or we might move again. You know how AEG is with threats. So if Garber and MLS HQ labels us in Houston as an expansion team, please don't mention it to us in Houston. We didn't want your players, but we did take really good care of 'em. Peace.

Bill Archer repped this.
  18. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    FC north Texas is division three. just to clarify.

Also its not that shocking, the state of Texas has more than 28 million residents.

hipityhop repped this.
  19. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. They must be pretty old.

CeltTexan and El Naranja repped this.
  20. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you think Tarintino became inspired for his vampire movie?

oknazevad and Bill Archer repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty naive to expect economic migrants to have the time or money to indulge in local Millennial habits.

Not that all immigrants are poor.

But if you're raising a family on near minimum wage there are other priorities

22. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So since this here forum is full of, like smart people with, like edumacashun and stuff like that, I'm hoping someone can answer a question:

For the last 18 months, we've been constantly told what a crime, if not in fact an outrage against decency, it was that Austin Texas is "the largest city in the US without a professional sports team".

Supposedly this was proof that MLS should put a team there, righting this historical wrong.

So now that this is apparently done, my question is: which city in the US has taken over the mantle of"Largest City in the US without a major professional team"?

It was always obvious to us rubes in flyover country, sitting around our doublewides chewing tobacco, breeding with our sisters and wearing socially unacceptable hats, that by definition SOMEPLACE is ALWAYS going to wear that particular mantle and, if we follow the logic, they are owed an MLS team.

Or is there some random cutoff for this logic?

Either way, who is next up and do they have enough millennial's hanging around wearing neckbeards and drinking overhopped beer to make Don Garber lust after them?

Signed,

Cornfused

Bluecat82 repped this.
  23. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without doing any actual research or deep thought, I'm going with Boise or Birmingham

Bill Archer repped this.
  24. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I guess technically it's Fort Worth. If you count the Cowboys, Rangers, etc as teams from the metroplex, then El Paso would be the largest US city without a major league sports team.

JasonMa and Bill Archer repped this.
  25. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That would be my guess, El Paso. Perhaps a more useful category would be biggest city without a non-winter major league sports team, since the schedule of the NBA and NHL is more MLS friendly. My guess on that one would be Sacramento. But someone should look it up. I would but I lack the motivation and I suspect it will bother someone else enough that they will do it.

Bluecat82 and Bill Archer repped this.