Aug. 27: The Gooch CL 2nd leg Liverpool vs Standaard Luik (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Aug 25, 2008.

1. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I didnt see the game, but how did Gooch play? I was curious on how he would do against an opponent like Liverpool.

2. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    Frankly, its about as well as I have ever seen Gooch play defensively. He was a rock marking both Keane and Torres, he blocked shots, tackled well, and won most of the stuff in the air. His positioning was very good through out, although at times his distribution was a bit unimaginative. Keane saw absolutely nothing.

His only misstep was a possible penalty call that he dodged very late in the game, in my view a clear foul on El Zhar from behind. However, it was not called, and Gooch was not booked at all in the match.

Gooch never had a chance to impose himself on offensive set pieces because Liege had really poor service all night, although attacking players had numerous near misses + great saves from Pepe Reina.

When you consider how Onyewu has struggled for Standard in the past during European competition, this was an excellent performance for him.

Also 180+ minutes against Torres with no goals given up (U.S.-Spain friendly + 2nd leg here) is not too shabby at all. Oguchi.... ONYEWU!

3. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow.... cool. I guess I've given up hope on Gooch ever reaching his potential long ago that I never imagined him to this. Perhaps he knew with a possible transfer maybe having a good CL game against Liverpool would maybe force a team to step up to the plate.