Aug.10 RSL/Revs fight night [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Aug 8, 2005.

1. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    41'

Revs 2
    RSL 1

2. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Real Salt Lake
    Starting Lineup
    1 - D.J. Countess (GK)
    3 - Rusty Pierce
    4 - Paul Broome
    6 - Jordan Cila
    7 - Andy Williams
    9 - Jason Kreis
    11 - Chris Brown
    13 - Brian Dunseth
    17 - Kenny Cutler
    23 - Eddie Pope
    24 - Seth Trembly

3. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Starting Lineup
    1 - Matt Reis (GK)
    2 - Clint Dempsey
    4 - Avery John
    6 - Jay Heaps
    7 - Jose Cancela
    8 - Joe Franchino
    14 - Steve Ralston
    15 - Michael Parkhurst
    20 - Taylor Twellman
    21 - Shalrie Joseph
    25 - Andy Dorman

4. WTFC11

WTFC11 New Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Southern Utah
    Think they'll sub Cila pretty soon here after halftime?

5. WTFC11

WTFC11 New Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Southern Utah
    Kamler for Cila. Hopefully this'll free up Andy some.

6. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Ugggggghhhhhhh

7. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Wow. Great goal by Kries, but nothing else. Nothing.

However, it was cool sitting next to Clint at Lumpy's. He was very relaxed, chilling with his woman and all.

He is one hell of a mild mannered man off the grass. Very mellow: a quiet, soft speaker. He was very kind and was friendly to everybody coming up to him. Not once did he seem frustrated that people were coming up to him every 5 seconds. He did seem a little frustrated with the match...as we all were.

I am very proud to say that I shook that mans hand. He did not act like he was above anyone else. It was more like he was happy to meet everyone more than we were to meet him.

You can say what you want about Clint when he is on the pitch. But when he is in street clothes, chillin' at a pub, he's a very cool person to be around.

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the game was a disappointment, but still, this was the Eastern leading Revs. They have only lost once at home all year.
    RSL did lose it down the line, but it was fairly close and tight for a good portion of the match.

The worse thing that came away from this was that our "elite" starting backline let so many mistakes fly by them.
    I realize that Cabrera and Scarlett are coming but if we can't expect Pope, Dunseth, Broome and Pierce to get the job done we are in trouble over the long run.

9. ReAl Football Fan

May 2, 2005
    Ogden, Ut
    We've got to overcome this habit we have of letting in early goals. I was listening on FSN, the announcers were Revs guys and they said right off that RSL was suseptible to early scores and that the Revs should push to get on top quickly. With a rep like that we are going to be attacked early and hard by every team. We really need to work to keep that from happening anymore. I thought we played quite well after that until the own goal on the corner kick, then it seemed like we decided it was a lost cause and didn't need that much effort anymore. The giveaway on the 4th goal was just sad. We had some chances to come back before the third goal, just couldn't break through. Maybe it's not so bad losing to the East leaders but 4-1 is not pretty. :mad:

10. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I like to see my boys win in a goal-fest I'm actually sorry it came against your side. Don't let it get you down, we need ya's in the league. Nil desperantum, auspice Kreis.

11. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yep... I thought the first goal was a tough one - Dempsey came hard over Pierce (who was in a good position but either slipped or got knocked over). Perhaps not a foul as it seemed a pretty even challenge for the ball...

I didn't see the 2nd goal.

From roughly the 2nd goal to the own goal (~minute 16-70)... I thought RSL held their own. Especially, after Kreis pulled on back on a nice freekick... then the own goal and they seemed to give up a little - definitely a defensive lapse to give Smith that much space on the 4th goal that late, but it WAS a perfectly placed shot (caught everyone - Countess & backline - sleeping).

12. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't get to see much of the game, but if Pierce played like he did against Chivas, then I suspect he was in the game only to get back into form and because he likes to push the ball forward. He didn't look very good overall on Saturday and I'm guessing he didn't last night either. I think getting Cabrera and Scarlett in after this weekend will make all the difference in the world. We've just gotta hang on against KC on Saturday and we'll be fine.

13. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Thanks! Just remember, the boys got what they deserved. And that goes for both teams. As pointed out, we're giving up too many early goals. That just makes it all the easier for teams to defend and makes it all the harder for us to defend. I'm not so much frustrated with the teams record as with how many balls are hittin' the back of the net. And at that, how many happen early on. I really question how well Ellinger's doing at getting the team organised defensively. How any cleansheets does RSL have this year? 2? 3? In many ways, I don't mind losing on the road to the Rev 4-1 in and of itself. That so many things about the pattern were what's been happening more often that not this year, that's the part that bothers me.

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good match by your boys for about 75 minutes, and you could just see RSL deflate after the own goal.

There is some talent on that team ... and once you guys get your help, I'll be interested to see if you can get out from near the bottom and make a run for the playoffs.

We'll see if we can help you out next Wednesday at Colorado. :D

Good luck guys. And unfortunately, I won't be able to watch the Revs game at RSL (stupid MLS ... I'll be in CBus that night for the US game).

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four.

0-0, @ Mutts, 04/02
    1-0, cRapids, 04/16
    2-0, Chivas, 05/18
    3-0, FCD, 07/23

Keep that up, your next shutout will be 4-0. :)

16. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    PSSHHHH!

17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At 3-1, I judged it a fair result. Four may be harsh, but we were farily beaten.

The image that'll stick with me (and I must go tease some folks on the Rev board) was Khano Smith running over to celebrate goal #4 with, ah, a Woman Of Particular Size rather than a supporters group or the like.

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our supporters are on the complete opposite side of the field from where he scored the goal.

Not sure who the lady was ... but hey, he doesn't get to celebrate too often. ;)

19. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I think we all should just leave it at that (lest we step on our lizzard when we find out it was his girl friend :D )