AUFC vs. MUFC

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Oct 2, 2017.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Tue. Oct. 3
    7 PM
    Not sure about TV and too lazy to look it up, so just go to the game!

Okay, we're all a bit fatigued and overwhelmed with the volume of games in September, so let's do like the players and suck it up! We can rest during the international break, so let's get one more "W" and really put the league on notice!

Atlanta comes in after a sloppy but gritty performance in New England that showed some tired legs and difficulty adapting to the personnel rotations. But it was still a good point earned and we saw as much of a quality defensive display as we could ask.

Almiron is of course out, as is Mr. Kann, Brandon Vasquez, and, though not listed as such, reportedly Greg Garza. None of the players will miss due to suspension though Pirez is now one more card away from missing a game. Bigger still may be the absences of Brad Guzan and Josef Martinez as they get to play international ball, so look for Tito to start up front and perhaps Kratz to start in midfield.

Fortunately Minnesota should also be without key players Kevin Molino and Francisco Calvo thru international duty as well as Sam Cronin via injury, so the Loons will also feature a makeshift lineup. With a loss MUFC will officially be eliminated from playoff contention.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm sure we won't win 6-1, but I think we can expect 3 points. We are slowing down, tho- it was noticeable at NE, even beyond their tactics.

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, the quest for #2 is over, thanks to a ref who either lives in Minnesota or went to school there. I'm beginning to think the officiating is the aspect of this league that lags most visibly behind the rest of the world.

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd say the depth, first, then the Game day coaching, then the refereeing.

I would absolutely love to see a write up of this game's officiating, because there was decidedly poor balance of what did and did not warrant a card tonight.

Still, Atlanta had the chance to win but couldn't close the deal.

5. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones was as useful as tits on a bull. Despite his couple of moments of greatness, Gressel's first touch was dreadful most of the night. He just doesn't have the first touch to be a dependable center mid. Get rid of Jones, put Tito up top, get Peterson in the game.

Sure we probably would have dominated 11v10 if they got a red for the tackle on Tito, but what does that have to do with our poor play 11v11 to begin with? Asad and Tito put in great work as usual.

Worst outcome of this match may be McCann getting hurt.

6. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    We'll never know how the game would have turned out if the ref had given that straight red card on the tackle to Villalba. But it sure would have helped. There were a handful of other bad non-calls as well and the yellow on Mears was completely unjustified. He got all-ball and went right through the ball. That's not even a foul, let alone a yellow.

I was nervous about this one all along because we were missing SIX starters (Martinez and Guzan were on international duty, Almiron and Guzan were injured, plus Larentowicz and Walkes were held out for rest). Then we lost McCann in the first half with a hamstring injury, then we ended up having to use our 4th string goal keeper due to the red card. Despite all of that, while already down a goal and down to 10 men, they still mounted a furious comeback and scored twice to take the lead. It was beautiful. But the energy it took to mount a short-handed comeback eventually cost them because they tired late in the game and gave up two late goals in the 90th and 96th minute, turning what looked like a glorious comeback win into a loss. Just brutal.

Now I'm really nervous because they needed points last night. Finishing top 4 means a home game in the single-elimination knockout round whereas finishing 5th would mean playing on the road. This team has been MUCH better at home than on the road all year long, so that's a rather big deal. Unfortunately, ATL leads 5th place Columbus by only 3 points, no more games in hand, and points will be very hard to come by in the remaining games. ATL plays a road game at NYRB next and they desperately need a win to clinch a playoff spot. Then we finish the season against the top team in MLS, Toronto. Ugh.

If we fail to secure a home playoff game, we can probably trace it back to last night. Even just 1 point could have made a huge difference.

Auriaprottu and GunnerJacket repped this.
  7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yep, been saying it for some time now. I still see us top four when all this is sorted out, but it's not going to be a relaxed end to the season.

I'm hoping NYRB beats Vancouver Saturday- that would clinch them a spot, and they'd be less desperate to get points from us, as they really can't move up to fourth in any case. I still don't think TFC will show much, since they have no reason to risk injury going all out.