AUFC @ Red Bull: New York

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Oct 13, 2017.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Who's ready to put the USMNT catastrophe behind them? Who else felt strange seeing this weekend's match up was a road game?! Anyway...

RBNY vs AUFC
    Sunday 10/15
    5 PM
    FS1

After the flurry of games in September the Five Stripes take the field after the 2 week international break to pay a visit to New Jersey in what may be a preview of the first round playoff match-up. Atlanta will be looking for revenge from the 2-1 loss on the franchise's debut night, but more importantly they'll be looking to recover their form after the abysmal 3-2 home loss to Minnesota, with aspirations of securing the #2 or 3 seed in the east.

Almiron and McCann are listed as questionable for the match, and all signs suggest Coach Tata will be conservative in deciding if either plays so as not to risk further injury heading into the post-season. This leaves Garza, Kann, and Vasquez as those out due to injury while Reynish will serve his red card suspension. Fortunately Guzan returns as should Josef Martinez, who featured in both of Venezuela's World Cup qualifiers at about 70 mins for each. Better still, Coach Martino has had a week plus to reflect on the last match and work on a strategy oriented around the available roster.

Team Energy Drink comes in having secured a playoff berth but struggling during the back half of the year. The Bulls have won 1 and drawn 2 of their last 6 matches, but did beat west leading Vancouver in their last outing and have no significant losses to injury for this match. Their odds of improving their seeding for the post-season are very long but beating Atlanta for a second time before possibly meeting them in the playoffs could be a crucial mental advantage.

As expected much of the game will hinge on Atlanta's ability to convert chances and keep Sacha Kljestan and Bradley Wright-Phillips in check. Expect Carlos Carmona to play more of a defensive role than usual, especially depending on who steers the attack if Almiron isn't playing.

Hope springs eternal, and if I'm Atlanta I'm anxious to undue the stigma of the Loon loss. 2-1 good guys.

2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, that wasn't pretty but it's not a bad result all told. Guzan made some great saves and the defense did well in their core roles. Frustrating in the efforts to build the attack, especially from defensive positions. Felt for a stretch there AU couldn't string more than 2 passes together AND lost every friggin 50/50 ball. But, considering The Red Bulls were playing a full side, at home with one of their biggest crowds of the year, and with hopes of creating a mental edge of Atlanta (that was missing 2 starters)... I'd say the point was duly earned. Tito spurned some chances but NY came dreadfully close a couple times, as well, so take the point and run. Any thoughts about the lost opportunity re: playoff seeding was likely lost vs. Minnesota than in this game.

I thought Larentowicz and Parkhurst played very well yesterday considering their opposition. I think Ambrose held his own given the opportunity. Would like to have seen Carmona stay more central and Asad and Tito pushed wider. Since we weren't doing well at recovering the ball, anyway, we might as well at least have them in open spaces for when the ball was recovered.

Unfortunately the way the other games played out means the scenarios don't exactly favor Atlanta. I'd almost rather end up 4th instead of 3rd because the Red Bulls will likely rest players before their playoff game, but AU will have to play to win vs Toronto or risk falling to 5th and not having a home playoff match. Have to hope for an AU win + NYC and CHI drawing or losing.

Here's to hoping.

Coyote89 and Auriaprottu repped this.
  3. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    No shame in getting a draw on the road vs. a good team like NYRB. Had our chances but so did they and it took some heroics to keep a clean sheet.

That said, while everyone is hoping for a #2 finish, what I think everyone is missing is that AUFC could very easily fall to 5th place and fail to land a home playoff game. That could be tragic. If Columbus wins again, we'd have to beat the best team in MLS to remain ahead of them. Otherwise, we fall to 5th place and miss out on the chance to host in the single-elimination knockout stage. Given how much better AUFC has been at home vs. the road, that is the most important thing IYAM.