Review: Audi Field Experiences and Updates thread.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jul 12, 2018.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's easier on a bike obviously. Don't forget Metro charges for parking on Saturdays now.

2. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it can be done if there are sidewalks on the entrance ramp leading up to the Frederick Douglas Bridge. I suppose it all depends on how important the $30 or so that you'd have to spend for parking closer to the stadium. And, after the game, you'd be walking back in the dark. It would be one heck of a long walk but it's probably not much further than walking for the Waterfront Metro Station to Audi Field.

UnitedBorn repped this.
  3. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    I believe its 1.2 miles versus an easy .7 walk to Waterfront Metro. Parking near Waterfront is a lot chepaer than $30.

dadman and UnitedBorn repped this.
  4. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the feedback probably gonna plan different

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

I'm not sure if the position of the Sun was significantly different tonight, but this was much worse than some other games this evening.

big spaniel and Winoman repped this.
  6. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We paid $14 there last Sunday afternoon with one of roar parking apps.

7. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ditto

8. jmnva

jmnva Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    That only hgaooeed
    It was only a thing for <5 minutes of the 2nd half

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It took me a few times to realize it was the top of the doors that was the cause. At first I was about to get mad at some ridiculous professional flash. Then I just wanted to be mad at people opening closing the doors.

asitis repped this.
  10. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Yeah that's where I park too. What does ROAR standf for?

I've wondered why som any people arrive late, but Audi is setting new tardiness standards . Eventually the stadium was 75-80% full, but that was like mid-way through the second half. The stadium was less than half full at kickoff and people kept steaming in the entire first half. I know becuase I sit near an aisle. It's so odd - you don't go to a concert or play and see half the crowd arrive late but it seems commonplace for sporitng events now.

ejs1111 and big spaniel repped this.
  11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I planned to be in the stadium about an hour early. I got stuck in traffic and was rushing so used the northwest gate with plenty of time to spare. I should have gone to the east midfield gate. A bunch of people were taking off their coats even without instruction to remove coats and jackets. They were only being told to open them. The security lines can be ridiculous. I got in the stands during player intros. I gave myself plenty of time and that's when I got inside. I imagine many don't allow for as much time.

12. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    They really have to fix the lines.

Both getting into the stadium

And in the stadium for concessions.

It’s really just a disaster.

ejs1111, shawn12011, Funkfoot and 3 others repped this.
  13. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YMMV, I know, but I left my seat about a minute into halftime and found a beer stand with NO LINE. It was amazing.

14. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Concession lines behind 135-137 were out of control. With foot traffic it’s almost impossible to see where the lines begin.

Getting into the stadium was easy for me only delay was couple in front not having their tickets up

sitruc repped this.
  15. marks7mb

marks7mb Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Club:
    DC United
    Im usually there early or at least before player introductions. However, I tried a new route last night- there was a complete mess on Ohio drive. (& no warning on gps) it took 45 minutes from the Lincoln memorial to reach the tidal basin where the paddle boats are. Apparently there was bridge work on that short span. On a Saturday afternoon.....
    Adding in a late start, I got there just before half time.

16. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Our"... but my phone "autocorrected"
    I think we used parking panda...

17. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Memorial bridge is also under construction. That adds to traffic there and on 395. Metro often randomly has delays.
    Still... I agree that the late arriving or not arriving crowd is confusing. There aren't lots of tickets available. The team is playing well. The weather was amazing, at least yesterday anyway.

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    From memory, Memorial Bridge lane reduction is until 2021.

Winoman repped this.
  19. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, for my first observation at getting to the stadium after kickoff (^&%^ing traffic...you'd think a 3hr window for a 1.5hr drive would be safe enough, but DC gonna DC) is that gate management sucks. They need at least two more entry points, I think, to make those who are at the gate around kickoff get in and fill the seats before the 5th minute. The stadium looks so empty at kickoff because everyone's waiting in line tryna talk their bags through "security" and get their $#!t scanned.

Only other solution is show up an hour before kickoff, traffic permitting.

20. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Without negating the need for more gates, arriving a little early does help a lot. Yesterday I walked through the NW gate 30 minutes before game time after waiting behind just one other party at security. And coming from Virginia, taking 395, getting off at Maine Avenue and parking near Waterfront Metro works well. That could change over time (especially if I keep talking about it), but I think a lot of folks using their Nats routes.

Heist repped this.
  21. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The key really is leaving early and hopefully not hitting traffic. My preferred route from Alexandria now is Parkway to 14th Street Bridge, exit on C Street/Senate off 395, down Washington Street to E Street to NJ and down to Lot H/I. Less than 20 minutes from my house unless traffic screws it up. (Now that I've told you my route, if you bastards ******** it up, there will be consequences.:D) Actually is easier than trying to get to RFK, whiich generally involved the Pennsylvania Ave/Minnesota Ave detour.

I agree the entrance lines are a work in progress. Some of it is due to new folks manning the lines, some of whom think they are preventing the next 9/11. However most blame needs to be put on the clueless folks who show up, have no idea about the bag policy/have not downloaded their tickets/due the usual doofus, I don't know what I'm doing so I will just stand here and get in everyone else's way shuffle.

My biggest pet peeve on the rather narrow concourses are the jackholes who stumble along reading/texting on their smart phones. Of course these same idiots probably do the same thing in their cars. I guess their phones don't work if they remain stationary.:rolleyes:

shawn12011, Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  22. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    I usually hang around the stadium after the game until the crowd thins out. It's always interesting seeing what's happening. Last night Acosta was playing with his son (?) who looked to be about two. The kid can really dribble. Very touching to see, especially since I have 2 grandchildren that age.

And now from the sublime to the ridiculous: one of the east side elevators broke down last night, with people stuck in it.
    Yeah, really. A couple of guest services folks were there encouraging people to take the stairs; not really an option for the lady in the wheelchair, waiting for a ride.

asitis

sitruc repped this.
  23. autogolazzo

autogolazzo Member+

Mar 4, 2007
    Is that what it is? I was wondering why it is always so empty at the start of games. You'd think people would have adjusted their schedules by now. At RFK, It used to be a be somewhat empty due to tailgating stragglers but that can't be the case now.

24. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's such a new stadium, there are lots of first timers every game.

stangspritzring and sitruc repped this.
  25. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Oh, THAT'S what that was!

That sun was really something.

There was a moment early in the second half when a Dallas player could have sent a teammate through for an easy breakaway; the announcers couldn't figure out why the pass wasn't made. I am pretty sure it's because the forward was nothing but a silhouette backlit in the sun.