Review: Audi Field Experiences and Updates thread.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jul 12, 2018.

1. rickinva

rickinva Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I hope you're right. I saw the guy after he has led down the staircase. It was a serious gash.

2. rickinva

rickinva Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Well, I think a can or two rolled off the raised stand and fell on the three ground level rows. The other cans were covered in an icewater/blood mixture that I helped clean up. I was bummed at how few people made any attempt to help this guy. Also, the poor usher had to deal with drunk fans that wouldn't accept the staircase being closed for blood clean up. At least one put his hand on the usher and tried to push by.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  3. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    When walking back to the parking garage last night my wife pointed out a woman walking to the side of us who was dressed in what appeared to be jeans and just a white lace bra. That was it.

I yelled out Sue-Ellen, but she didn't turn...

In any event, I only mention to note that you can still get your people watching in while walking to/from the stadium with the crowd...

EdTheRed, 12th Man, dadman and 6 others repped this.
  4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
  5. autogolazzo

autogolazzo Member+

Mar 4, 2007
    Step stairs and scalp skin?

6. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must work for the gov't.

7. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, funny security theater incident last night. My wife's first game, and I told her about the bag policy. She brought her smallest clutch, which still wasn't small enough. The security lady was about to not let her in, when her supervisor told my wife to just put her clutch in one of the ziploc bags they have available at the gate.

So, a non-conforming bag magically becomes in compliance with the rules if it goes into a see-through ziploc bag. Sigh.

Rick77, Etch10, EdTheRed and 7 others repped this.
  8. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    just checking boxes

EdTheRed and JayRockers! repped this.
  9. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    And they say New Yawwkerz are callous

10. Abner Ravenwood

Jul 21, 2004
    Last seen in Nepal
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have a problem with his word sentences?

11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whoever it was who commented the other day that we needed a face-palm emoji was spot-on.

We've joked about trying that, never thinking it might actually work.

Security people are stupid. I used to think it was only computer-security people, because I work with a lot of those, but it's industry-wide.

12. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, some of us computer security people are quite capable.

We just have to deal with the insanity of security policies drafted by people who still think computers are f$#king magic and sorcery, though, so it puts us a little on edge.

MattR, EdTheRed, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  13. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this case, I think it was more that the supervisor knows this is a dumb rule, and really doesn't want to make a middle-aged mom go through the hassle of checking her bag because it's 1 inch too long.

EdTheRed, song219, ejs1111 and 8 others repped this.
  14. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They are magic and sorcery.........and that's the way I want the people to think. It makes my life easier.

EdTheRed, song219, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    So just because my full name is long it's not a strong password?

shawn12011 repped this.
  16. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steep stairs and skin on your scalp. It’s notbthat difficult to sort out is it? Gosh darn auto correct these days!

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  17. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    on the positive side my trip through security was easy. A cursory look at the items in my cap, and then the waived me by rather than wanding. It seemed like everyone around me was getting in easy.

18. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought one at the home opener in the team store. It's legit.

Like having a map and compass when you go on a backwoods hike.

D C B 2 3 and Winoman repped this.
  19. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Nursing a big tekate long enough to require a coozie is the next step on my recovery journey.

MattR, D C B 2 3, song219 and 2 others repped this.
  20. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Chris Hull specifically said bag policy is stupid because a) it doesn't go in effect till 2019 so why be assholes to people till then and b) $15 bags, $20 storage.

He's also been outside himself to look at it and might have said something to supervisors to that effect

shawn12011, EdTheRed, fatbastard and 2 others repped this.
  21. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First time at Audi Field last night!

Drive was much more pleasant than the trek to RFK using the George Washington Parkway rather than the Baltimore Washington Parkway.

Used spot hero to reserve a spot at the parking lot on M and Half street. Lot had plenty of spaces when we got there. Easy 15 minute straight shot to the stadium.

The walk up to the stadium looked really cool as the sun was setting. The craziest thing I noticed right away was the buzz going around the place! People were excited, and lots of them. I have never seen so many "normal" people going to a soccer game. You could tell a lot of people were coming out to see what DC United is all about. Combine the buzz with the tasteful youth driven playlist DC was pumping out during pregame and for a lack of a better word Audi field was feeling totally "lit."

Our seats were in section 117 so the middle of the steep stands. As everyone else noted you really feel like you are on top of the action. Views were awesome. I have to say as a whole Audi Field just looks really really nice. The rooftop bar and open feeling give the place a cool vibe. When the sun really went down the stadium felt more closed in and intimate.

Speaking of atmosphere I have to say the SGs blew me away. I have been a little critical of some attitudes in the past but I was eating some crow tonight. They were loud and were getting the whole stadium into the chants. I think a huge part of that is that is seemed like everyone was singing and chanting TOGETHER. At RFK we frequently had jumbled messes of songs and chants as groups did different things. The SGs really looked and sounded UNITED last night and it made a huge difference.

The pupusas were pretty good but the Arepas were amazing. My Wife and I had an amazing time last night. So cool to see such a buzz around the team and to see them playing so well. Vamos United!

MattR, Rick77, tallguy and 12 others repped this.
  22. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    Aha...I'll ask about that on Sunday, I guess the store was too crowded for me to take a goode look around.

roadkit repped this.
  23. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    Thats what they do in Portland. Always have.

I am getting really sick of having to have CSC kick opposing fans out of the north section. This is what happens when anyone can buy a ticket instead of go through the SGs. It has created an issue each time. Hate having to do it, but its for their own safety. Things that need to get ironed out this off season.

dadman, sitruc, Winoman and 5 others repped this.
  24. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    Talking to Kim about it, its become a really big pain for them. Too many in a small area on each side. Tony was thinking about using the handicapped ramps on the east side. Just continues to show how piss poor planning they did.

sitruc, Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  25. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is an outdoor merch place not too far from the store, in the NW corner. I've seen the larger beer coozies there too.

I figure by the time everyone buys those, they'll stop serving the beer in cans/missiles and start pouring them. I have a coozie that fits those cups that I bring in with me - with the price of the beer, we just buy Makers or Knob Creek instead.

D C B 2 3 and Winoman repped this.