Review: Audi Field Experiences and Updates thread.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jul 12, 2018.

1. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm the complete opposite of you. I typically pee a lot, drinking or not, so I prefer to be on the aisle. I also prefer the freedom of being able to leave my seat whenever without needing to burden anyone else. I have no problem letting people by and 100% prefer that to having people need to let me by. I just feel kind of trapped when I'm in the middle of a row.

fatbastard, EdTheRed, greatscott and 7 others repped this.
  2. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I agree that the white paint is very eye-catching on TV. Painting it out black or black and red would make a lot more sense. Or put up some clocks. :)

I've never been a fan of having those field suites be what the camera focuses on in other stadiums either. And the seats should go all the way down to field level a la SKC's stadium instead of having row 1 be 8 feet in the air.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  3. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    It's hard to avoid, given modern building codes. The railings really do have to be that high. The best you can often do is to use the glass panel railings (Nats Park does this in many locations). The other strategy is not really available at Audi Field, and that's to slide the whole grandstand further back away from the field.

Here's an example from New Yankee Stadium; the taller railing is required by code at the bottom of the aisle; a lower railing is acceptable next to a row of seats. This kind of relatively minor obstruction is really hard to avoid.

I think the long-term solution is hopefully for season ticket holders to learn these quirks; hopefully they have the chance to move around accordingly.

EdTheRed, ejs1111, John L and 3 others repped this.
  4. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The "highlight" came when he introduced the Captain -- "Dave uh uh uh Steve Birnbaum" Jagoffery of the highest order.

Funkfoot, Falc, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  5. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I've warned about this for years, the gradual morphing of Talon from an eagle to something looking like Howard the Duck on steroids. Unfortunatley, the evolution (devolution?) hadn't stopped. During the long road trip, Talon morphed into Hype Man. A tragic end indeed.

nick and Winoman repped this.
  6. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I became an aisle seat guy after age 60. Beer and old bladders are an unstable combination. Or as a friend of mine said "once you reach age 60 you never pass up an open bathroom."

nick, EdTheRed, PSURoss and 7 others repped this.
  7. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    What? and have the emperors sit at the same level as the peasants?

8. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talon was AWOL from what I could tell. Never saw it.

The tifo was lame, but it was only up for about 30 seconds or so.

ejs1111 and Winoman repped this.
  9. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Or maybe someone needed to get this info out before the banner was unfurled. Maybe that’s why there’s a new Comms SVP.

Thx,

Jay!

Winoman, song219 and asitis repped this.
  10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having the suites on the field-level totally kills the television viewer experience. You can't see the crowd.

JayRockers!, Dizi, dcchelseafc and 2 others repped this.
  11. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    That which does not kill you, makes you sore. Imagine how much you'd pay at Golds for a similar workout

12. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    He was fired.

Heard he got gig in Sacramento lined up tho

13. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Was Hunt and the person calling for the team to "make some noise one and the same?

14. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just so long as he doesn't morph into "Rapidsman"...

EdTheRed, asitis and Dizi repped this.
  15. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Rapidman was an early experiment in genetic engineering that went very wrong. All evidence of his existence in visual archives has been erased. All we have left to confirm he actually existed is our own lying eyes from 1996. Eventually, all of we witnesses will be gone and the secret will be safe.

fatbastard, sitruc, song219 and 4 others repped this.
  16. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Matt Mathai and a few others went on a quest to find the original Rapidman. They too have vanished. Is it only a legend or something more sinister?

asitis

Marco10, nick, griffin1108 and 2 others repped this.
  17. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean this abomination? It cannot be unseen.

[​IMG]

MattR and dcchelseafc repped this.
  18. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Matthai can be seen sitting right below the vantage point of the pre-game fan cam - look for the classic Gelnovatch jersey.

Marco10, Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That's not the original.

20. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    A couple of things:

Hunt: left oon his own terms - he did NOT leave as a result of the DU/BB meetings on Monday and Tuesday. The family has been planning the move for weeks. It was fortuitous timing from the SG viewpoint (but not for DCU, ha ha. but they deserve it :) ).

The poor excuse is that it is part of their eco-friendly initiatives. It is about saving lots of money (machines, staff, postage, etc). It is a little more about having control over the resale market (which the team states is prohibited by their policy and THE LAW on their website https://www.dcunited.com/matchday/stadium/a-to-z-guide#toc18) more idiocy even though they say you must resell through them. And it is even more about the kickbacks from TikatDicktator on resales.

But what it is ACTUALLY about is monetizing CRM data: now they obtain granular data on exactly who is attending games. Now they can minutely track attendees not just in the stadium during the game but outside the stadium: they ALSO get access to everything in your phone. Who you attend games with, who you talk to about games, your spending habits, where you work, live, play, visit, everything. And the data they collect gets married up with the data others collect for evermore detailed information about their customers.

Thanks for warning, Aldous....glad our parents paid attention. Oh wait, that is who created this situation.....

Marco10, fatbastard, nick and 6 others repped this.
  21. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    #321 PSURoss, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    The fact that DCU has a VP of Comms is kind of ironic since the team doesn't really communicate. And for that matter, the VP of Marketing is superfluous too. They don't do much other than some easy to get ad buys on metro and buses. Thats got to be a quarter million in salary right there. How about throwing a STM event or two with that money instead. The stadium sells itself right?

22. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    You're joking right? They don't even give and F about the people who have been dedicated to the team for years who are paying thousands of dollars a year for season tickets, food & beverage and merch to be there in the stadium. They sure don't have any F's to give about the guy sitting at home spending nothing on the team who might come to a game every year or two.

Winoman and song219 repped this.
  23. Terpitude

Terpitude Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    My ticket rep tells me that Hype Guy will not be back.

Real Mobile, fatbastard, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  24. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    That's cool that you still talk to your guy. While our guy has been excellent the last few years, I find that he no longer serves any purpose with DCU having killed off all the STM perks.

sitruc repped this.
  25. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Id watch my thoughts if i were you comrade.

Marco10, Winoman and asitis repped this.