Attendance thread

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by Daniel from Montréal, Aug 28, 2008.

1. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you may be exaggerating the "all tickets" comment. No team sells all tickets, there are always giveaways/corporate packages/etc. But you're point that the mass giveaways of previous times is over is taken, I was not aware that that policy had stopped. That's why I asked. And I assume that you also meant that the number released is the number of tickets sold and not the actual attendance. Which could be a bit higher or lower depending on the circumstances.

2. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    What's the difference and why does it matter? The point is that people went there to enjoy the game. Why do you keep trying to downplay the USL in every single thread?

3. pace8

pace8 Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Miami and Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    The stadium looked full to me. It seats just over 13 000. The average attendance for the season is just below 13 000.

4. pace8

pace8 Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Miami and Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Hehe exactly. Anyways, USL outdrew MLS in this tournament I belive...also outplayed them but thats another story.

5. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's what I'm doing. Did you happen to look at my avatar? Every single thread? Whatever man. Why are you trying to up-play the USL so much. Anyway, the point is that I wanted to know the truth about the attendance at the match, if you follow the USL, which I'm sure you do, then you know that Montreal used to hand out tickets like candy. That obviously inflates attendance. I'm glad that I know that they don't do that anymore.

Also, I'm not trying to downplay the USL. I just think that people that are trying to do the opposite are jumping the gun a bit. The USL, well at least two of their teams, have so far performed very well in this tournament. But it's a bit premature to be saying that they deserve more spots than the MLS or that they are a better league or any of the other BS that's being said.

6. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The tickets were half price for the Pumas v. Firpo game.

7. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I'm not but in every single thread that mentions the USL in this competition you have come out with your negative attitudes.

Well most people saying those things are just exaggerating. But it seems like you can't give props where it's due.

The Islanders pulled off a tie in Costa Rica. Something no MLS team has ever done. People said it was a fluke. Then they proceeded to beat them in PR followed by victories against Tauro and Santos. All while having a schedule just as congested as the MLS teams. And of course they not only pulled off results in the CL but also in the USL where they finished first place. It's clearly a big deal for a team from a league that's considered to be inferior to the MLS from an island that's not known for it's soccer to pull off these results. I'm sorry you don't see it that way but most people do. It's not jumping the gun. Even if the Islanders lose every single game from now on it would still be an accomplishment. Especially when MLS teams are getting owned at home.

Same applies to Montreal who are out attending most other teams in the tournament and are getting the result.

It gains even more relevance when on the opposite spectrum MLS's top clubs are getting embarrassed left and right and they have yet to play any Mexican teams

8. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like you can't read what you're quoting:
    "Also, I'm not trying to downplay the USL. I just think that people that are trying to do the opposite are jumping the gun a bit. The USL, well at least two of their teams, have so far performed very well in this tournament. But it's a bit premature to be saying that they deserve more spots than the MLS or that they are a better league or any of the other BS that's being said."

The Islanders have done very well this year and I'm pulling for them. Have I said they suck anywhere? Have I said the USL sucks? I'm just trying to bring some rationality to all the typical BS exaggeration. I guess I should know better.

Btw, I agree 100% with your long paragraph above that starts with "The Islanders". But there's a difference between saying that the USL teams have accomplished a lot in this tournament so far and what a lot of people are saying. The results of one tournament alone, especially one that's not even complete yet, do not show a trend, nor are they enough to base a sound judgment about the overall level of a league in comparison with another, etc. It's just the typical "what have you done for me lately" in exclusion of everything else. Bleh... I think you get my point, I'm going to bed.

9. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually they can determine one thing. that if the results continue in their current trend, USL1 was a better league internationally this year, which says a lot about the quality of the leagues this year. That's not to say the opposite won't be true next year, but if it continues, it determines that USL1 is better this year internationally, and is TELLING that THIS YEAR they are possibly a better fit league (considering they also made the Open Cup finals, and had half of the teams in the semi's as well).

It's not like this is a fluke. At this point its fairly obvious that this year USL1 is proving itself quite well in all competitions it's been involved with.

10. Chef Medeski

Chef Medeski Member

Sep 25, 2008
    NYC
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They stop giving out tickets when you sell-out 10 games in a season and on top of that, they are sold out a week in advance of the game. These aren't like people showed up and bought, people had to buy in advance. I didn't go to 2 games because I couldn't get tickets 4-5 days before. So it has definitely changed. I never thought I'd have to buy tickets in advance.

11. Chef Medeski

Chef Medeski Member

Sep 25, 2008
    NYC
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats based on the number who showed up because they scan all the tickets, so its automatically tabulated by around half-time. The Joe Public game sold probably a lot more tickets but very few people showed because it was around 5 degrees outside and raining, which isn't the greatest temperature to watch soccer in. I showed up in a late fall coat and I was still freezing my ass off.

And the Atlante game was full. It was a great atmosphere and a great game. Anyone would love to see it for $20, which is how much I paid for some pretty close seats. Thats just an amazing value.

12. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Anyone think the Central American sides (especially Hondouran and Guatamalan) are intentionally understating attendance as a means of reducing payments under some revenue sharing agreement. Olimpia are claiming 7K at the last match, but it really looked like more.

13. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Read somewhere that women and U12 got in for free.

14. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no way Olimpia was 7,000. I know I suck at guessing attendance, but I'm no dumbass. Women and u-21 free and uncounted would make sense.