Attendance for Portland game?

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by jd6885, Mar 7, 2010.

?

How many tickets will be sold for the Charity Shield?

Poll closed Mar 15, 2010.
  1. 12,500-15,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 15,001-17,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 17,001-19,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 19,001-21,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Over 21,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the game just 9 days away, the latest estimate has us at 12,500 tickets sold.

Strangely enough, I've been hearing (err...reading) that they haven't emailed STH about the game or otherwise advertised it.

An intriguing idea someone suggested was that the FO could be using this game to gauge the demand of non-advertised non-league games, thereby possibly influencing decisions on where they will play future USOC and CCL matches.

How many tickets do you think we'll sell in the end (keep in mind it's general admission)? And do you think the FO has ulterior motives in hardly advertising this game?

2. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on a totally unrelated note, anyone know what the Shield will look like?

--edit: The game is in four days, not 9. I was looking at the soundersfc.com schedule and they had kong 6/16 as a tv source** and I somehow my cross-wired brain took that to mean it was being played on the 16th :rolleyes:

**Strangely enough, Kong 6/16 is not showing the game (although soundersfc.com's website has it listed as such). Matt Gaschk, their official "Digital Media Writer" has been posting the following

Ok, clear as mud?

3. SteamPunkr

SteamPunkr New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    i wonder how many tickets need to be sold for it to be profitable for the fo to consider qwest for open cup and ccl play. i'm thinking around 17,000 are gonna show up for the portland match. that would seem like enough to turn a profiit (at regular seat price, not the 10$ price), but i don't know alot about the buisness operations end of operating a franchise.

4. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guess its not just about current profitability, but also future. My guess is that they want to create the regular season game day atmosphere as to avoid a situation where someone shows up to this as their first Sounders game and isn't impressed with the atmosphere and never comes back. Just a thought.

5. SeaM

SeaM Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a STH and it was part of my Season Ticket Membership Update they sent on Feb. 9.

They've also had it on the front page of the soundersfc.com web site, which according to Quantcast has been getting between 20-35k visitors per week. And it's been in the papers...um, paper.

I would guess that virtually everyone who reasonably follows the Sounders knows about this game. Keep in mind though that it's not against an MLS team (many people don't share the idea that USL Portland is a "rivalry"), tickets are only $10 (implying not a valuable game), general admission (ditto) and the game's in early March (cold).

The first two years after Safeco Field opened, the Mariners hosted preseason games against teams we didn't get to see much (Phillies, Cards) just before Opening Day. This is 2000-2001, when you couldn't get a seat for a regular season game.

Hardly anybody went to the preseason games. They stopped doing them after 2001.

As much as we want to believe that there's a huge number of Sounder supporters who would watch them play the Aberdeen high school squad if they only promoted it enough, it's ever more evident that there's a ceiling on this, and that most people are content just to see the "games that count."

6. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see. It's just that when I was following the whitecaps liveblog on seattletimes.com and the soundersfc.com site, a few people were saying that they should email STH, so I took it to mean they haven't done so yet.

7. SeaM

SeaM Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, they probably aren't STH themselves.

Oh, and look what just came into my mailbox:

[​IMG]

8. Magister

Magister Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Too bad they couldn't hold it on the weekend. Some of us who live out of town can't make it over for a Thursday.

Sad news about the Kong broadcast. Oh well, the season is almost here.

9. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have they always offered the $5 youth price?

10. Sounder

Sounder Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep.

11. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait for this game. First Sounders game of the year that I've been able to attend. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and the turf won't be overly skippy.

Oh, and I'm predicting 15k - 16k for attendance.

12. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actual attendance: 18,606

Woohoo!

jd6885, Plough Ender, rand al'thor, southsound get it right :)

13. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Not bad at all. Unlike the goal scoring opportunities.

14. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18,606 fan's. You guy's are awesome!

15. SteamPunkr

SteamPunkr New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    awwwww, shucks! you're pretty awesome yourself GE!

16. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really mean what i say. The Sounders have an awesome fan base.
    You guy's know the game and are very passionate fan's. I love watching
    your games on tv.

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's dropping fairly rapidly though.. amazing how quickly the heat goes out of a rivalry when you are playing them 3+ times in a 34 game season..