Attacking ability of Italian Clubs

Discussion in 'Italy: Clubs' started by Aztattooedsean777, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It is a known fact that Italian clubs are known for their good Defensive tactics.

I am curious. Which clubs have the best attacking abilities? I notice that the top 5 clubs scoring wise at this moment come to just under 2 goals per game.

Is that because even the better scoring clubs stop when they might have 2 goals and focus solely on solid defense the rest of the match rather than going for the kill with a 3rd or 4th goal?

sorry about the question but I am just really curious to learn more about the league.

2. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    You kind of answered your own question.

There have been a few blowouts this season though. The gap between team in Italy is smaller than some other leagues. Italy is more regulated when it comes to finances, at least for the most part. The big clubs have huge debt, but nothing colossal like you'll see in Spain and England.

With financial fair play, the gaps in other league will also get smaller. At least I hope so. Italy might already have a head start as well. All we need now is better stadiums.

3. JeremyMenez

JeremyMenez New Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Italian Attack was not bad with this player! [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U88DgSQFEbc"]YouTube - Soccer God - Francesco Totti[/ame]

4. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

No, I really didn't answer my own question. While there are some good defensive teams in the league, there are also very average ones just getting by with parking the bus tactics.

Offense can win out if done well tactically.

Udinese is a good example the more I see of them. They are scoring a lot of goals this year and what is even more surprising is that they score more away from home.

AC Milan has the ability to score but this year I think they definitely need to improve on the attacking midfield position after they possibly win the scudetto if they hope to improve next season.

The only reason I don't think you see many blow outs in Serie A is that teams are quite content with just getting 1 or 2 goals and then just closing the lid on their own goal rather than putting the other club out of the match by scoring a 3rd or 4th goal.

5. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    In Italy there's an element of respect when your team is up by 2 goals or more.

6. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

that is all nice and all unless you end up tied for the league title and lose out thanks to goal difference.

7. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    italian teams can play offense just look napoli,udinese,palermo,roma,lazio,genoa
    but italian football is very tactical that does not allow too much freedom to attack. to me balance between attack and defense lot more exiting than all attack.

8. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    How often does that happen, though? Things are decided based on teams goal difference in their two matches against each other fairly regularly, but based on their seasonal goal difference? Last thing I remember decided on that was Lecce's avoiding relegation after the 2000-2001 season based on their season goal difference.

(I've been away for awhile so I apologize for not responding sooner.)

9. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

we shall see how Enrique tries to transform Roma into the Italian Barcelona. He doesn't have that much coaching experience but neither did Pep before he jumped up from the B squad to the A squad. Granted, he had a nice little squad to take over.

I will actually be curious as I would like to see a little variety in how the various italian teams play tactic wise.

10. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think we are seeing a change in Italy not to drastic though . But I am noticing a different style of play from Clubs Like Napoli, Udinese, and to a lesser Extnt Palermo as attack minded teams You would not seen this 15 YEARS AGO. I am very curious to see how Luis Enrique will perform at Roma. As a part time Roma fan I hope he brings the Barcelona system to Roma albeit it will take some time for the system to fullfill but I think it will work.:)

11. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Roma mixing barcelona with a little bit of Italian should be interesting once it is fully implemented. Udinese will be interesting to see if it is the club's style or if it was just the right players, some of which might be heading off after their good year. Napoli sure is exciting those last 20 minutes of matches to say the least.

Palermo is another club which I wonder if it was more who they had playing or if that style will be used no matter who leaves or arrives.

12. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I honestly can't see how trying to make and Italian club more Spanish will be effective.

This could just be simply a false impression that I have but Italian clubs typically work Spanish clubs, at least seemingly so, I don't really have any numbers to back me up so if anyone feels like proving me wrong then go for it.

13. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Well, Inter defeated Barcelona under Mourinho but if parking the bus even when you have a talented squad like Inter had is only way to victory, wake me up when it is over.

I forget to mention even your Fiorentina plays good football on the pitch.

Sure, there will be doubters but I personally hope it works. Italian clubs are so stuck in their ways. The current form isn't working in Europe. There was some change in the Serie A table this past season with some surprises but other wise, it isn't always bringing people out to the matches although that is for many different reasons and not just due to style of play.

14. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I definitely think Italy needs more foreign coaches. I've been pining for Terim since he left us, honestly.

The Spanish mentality of bringing up younger players will be very refreshing and I hope it catches on even if I don't want (just being honest here...) Roma to be successful at it.

The only Spanish Serie A coach I can think of off the top of my head (there must be more but I'm just drawing a blank) was Rafa Benitez and he was beyond horrible. Way beyond.

15. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We can all agree here there need's to be some changes regarding Serie A. And hopefully Teams Like Fiorentina (mY cLUB) who have been using younger players in lineups and at the same time having up to 7 or 8 players who are uinder 24 and the best part, Italian in there starting 11. hopefully Roma who do have a very good academy can start bringing in younger players. I also notice Juventus has been giving Italian players there chance, with the exception of Giovenco, But In all serousness Italian football if ever wants to gain the respect it deserves changes have to be made. And no better time than now.

panicfc repped this.
  16. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Italian teams also don't draw players from places like Africa and Asia. Nagatomo was the first player from Asia to play in Serie A, meanwhile the Bundesliga is searching the big Asian clubs en masse for talent. The best French and English clubs are pulling players from all over the globe, and not just relying on Eastern Europeans and Brazilians. That's one of the biggest issues with Italy is the over-reliance on scouting the same areas that have already been scouted a thousand times and have been picked dry. French teams have been picking African players for many years, and those Africans either stay in Ligue 1 or they're bought by Premier League teams. Also, look at what happens when Africans come to Italy: They are constantly insulted because of their skin color. Who would want to come play in Italy and always have to deal with that?

At the end of the day, Italian teams are where they are because they're the last of the major countries to really not go far outside of their borders to look for players. Spain, England, France, and Germany all go to the far ends of the earth searching for talent, but Italians just want to keep signing mediocre Italian talent and Brazilians that other teams didn't pick up first. Calcio is a Timex watch in a digital age. If it's going to improve, it needs new blood in the system, not only at the club level, but also at the administrative level. There's too much of the old guard involved in calcio. It needs to get younger, hipper, and more in line with the future before it gets left behind.

17. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Say what?

La Magica repped this.
  18. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I don't even know what I meant to say... Never mind.

19. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I do agree somewhat with your point, though. Unlike England, France, Holland and Spain Italy did not have a huge colonial empire, though. Italy's diaspora is in Brasil, Uruguay, Argentina, Canada and the US.

I think that, despite Eastern Europe and the Balkans being right next door, that region is still an untapped soccer resource. Italian clubs could do a lot worse than getting the pick of the litter from the old Yugoslavia and Italy.

20. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    eaclly i a frm bosni alkans ex yu there is many talened players in bosnia but we do not have anyhere near ood faciliies cro or srb teams do but we have many good player who are strong and not intimidated by older songer players. somethimes when i wtch serie a teams against epl u cn see fear and intimidation in serie a teas because epl teams plays faster ad payrs back of andlet them have all the space in the world

21. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

I definitely agree with what you are saying.

Despite not likeing AC Milan, they do usually attack well. This year, I have enjoyed what I have been seeing from Juventus and Napoli in the attack/counter attack department.

I will be curious if Italy should see more of what Germany does as they have tons of young German talent and they allow them to play good minutes with many clubs in the Bundesliga and it shows for their National team development.

22. sheva07

sheva07 Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    All out Attack? Sorry Serie A does not allow that
    You have to play with a Brain here....if you want to watch Boring matches where one team is leading 5:0 in 10 minutes La Liga and Bundesliga are your destination lol [​IMG]

23. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I agree with you there were alot of 5 nil matches involving the La Liga teams

24. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Here are some goals for stats for the last 2011/12 season of the four big leagues:

EPL 1066
    La Liga 1050
    Serie A 972
    Bundesliga 875

25. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    It should be pointed out that Bundeliga only has 18 clubs so they only play 34 matches per season (I'd assume) whereas Serie A clubs play 38 per season.