Attaboy Bob Kraft!

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Kraft Out, Nov 30, 2014.

1. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2009 was the last time. Last time it was in NE, Hartford hosted.

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who needs FACKS when you got an opinion and want to express it loudly? Amirite?

3. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There does seem to be a descrepency.

Your link shows two different numbers for Dallas in 2009. One is the 12k number and one is the 9k number (look at the section entitled "Season Averages" for 2009 and scroll across to see the 9k number). The 12k number is listed in a table further down on the page.

The Dallas wiki for 2009 lists the 9k number
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_FC_Dallas_season

I don't know which one is correct but do acknowledge the descrepency. I did not purposefully try and taint the data, I was going by the Dallas wiki page when researching the data.

4. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw surprised that they knew there were 11 men on the "pitch" though I wonder if the term pitch more resembles the beautiful grass they ripped up for the crap turf they have now?

If we ever get that SSS, I really hope it has grass...

5. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I might have found the possible source of the discrepancy in case anyone cares.

It looks like in 2009 Dallas averaged 9k when in Pizza Hutt Park that season for 16 games, but they had one double header game in the Cotton Bowl which drew 51k (I think it was paired with a Mexico national team game but can't remember for sure) , which brought the average up to 12k.

They actually played the Revs that day during the double header:)

Lothar is 1 repped this.
  6. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    LOTHAR IS #1!
    LOTHAR IS #1!
    LOTHAR IS #1!
    LOTHAR IS #1!
    LOTHAR IS #1!
    LOTHAR IS #1!
    LOTHAR IS #1!

7. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    #107 Lothar is 1, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    Yes, they aren't all 100% identical in number or percentage but they're all within basically the same ballpark number... and the general trend is going from 12k-14k up to 15-16k over the last 5 years. It wasn't all specifically 2009 to 2014 but that general time span. You can also throw in Columbus, SJ, and DC... but with differing circumstances. I group NE, DAL, CHI, and COL together often as a comparison, because they're the 4 clubs that were around prior to contraction in cities that also have a franchise in each of the 4 major leagues. NY also does, but comparatively NY has multiple franchises in each league and a combined statistical area that dwarfs everywhere else, as does LA. So if you graph it out, and add trend lines, all 4 of those teams (NE, CHI, COL, and DAL) have similar sized average attendances in an uptick at the moment, showing a general reflection of an improved economy and growth of interest in the sport.

NE and DAL are the only ones where the increase is a straight line of improvement... but trends include fluctuation. Yes, CHI started at a higher value in the beginning of that time period so they didn't grow the way NE and DAL did... but it trends in a slight uptick going from the mid 14k to 16k. Yes, COL even dropped downward this year, but it doesn't take a genius to realize why... dropping from being a playoff team to having their core players injured for much of the season, and their performance look awful on the field. Overall, though they've gone from 13k to 15k in that time span in an increasing trend.

I wish I could show it to you on an excel chart, but I'm sure you could set one up yourself if interested.

In general even without a graph, I'm sure you can clearly see from the averages of those clubs. Here are the averages of those 4 clubs annual average attendance for each year in that span;

2009 - 12,504
    2010 - 13,187
    2011 - 13,642
    2012 - 14,948
    2013 - 15,222
    2014 - 16,164

(that's even using that 9k number for 2009 for Dallas)

To me that shows a clear pattern of increased attendance, which coincides with both the recovering economy, and the increased growth of attention on the sport in this country.

Fair enough... They only hosted in 2003, 2005, 2007, and 2009... but not 2011, and 2013.

But you also have to consider that Met Life didn't either in one of those years. They went with RBA and Rentschler. For one of the years they clearly saved Met Life for the finals but used RBA for the Group Phase matches. But, RBA and Rentschler aren't going to host a WC match and the idea of potentially of saving Met Life for elimination rounds actually helps Gillette's chances.

Also you have to consider that FIU's stadium, and Sporting KC's stadium, Jeld-Wen, Rio Tinto, BBVA, etc. hosted Gold Cup matches in those years, and they also don't stand a chance at hosting World Cup matches either.

I wouldn't take those as indications of where the World Cup matches will be.

Simply put, none of the existing SSS are big enough to host a WC match.

After that, what/how many large stadiums around the country have hosted US MNT matches that would exclude Gillette from consideration?

ATT Stadium - Dallas - Turf, no MLS team
    U of Pheonix Stadium - Phoenix - No MLS team
    Rose Bowl - Pasadena - Ancient
    Met Life - NY - Turf, No MLS team
    New Mile High - Denver - No MLS team, at altitude
    Reliant Stadium - Houston - No MLS team
    Soldier Field - Chicago - No MLS team
    CenturyLink - Seattle - Turf
    Gillette Stadium - Foxboro - Turf
    Lincoln Financial Field - Philadelphia - No MLS team
    Arrowhead Stadium - Kansas City - Ancient, No MLS team
    Ford Field - Detroit - Turf, indoor, no MLS team in remote area
    Georgia Dome - Atlanta - Turf, indoor, no MLS team in remote area
    M&T Bank Stadium - Baltimore - Turf, No MLS team
    RFK stadium - Washington, DC - Ancient, baseball field odd dimensions
    Fed Ex Field - Washington, DC - No MLS team
    Bank of America Stadium - No MLS team even in the remote area
    Sun Life Stadium - Miami - No MLS team even in the remote area
    Raymond James Stadium - Tampa - No MLS team even in the remote area
    LP Field - Nashville - No MLS team even in the remote area
    Oakland Coliseum - Oakland - Ancient baseball stadium, not even suitable for football
    Qualcomm Stadium - San Diego - Ancient baseball stadium, not even suitable for football

I'd say Gillette fits in the top 12 there just as a stadium alone... but it would be a battle.

Other things to consider, being the size of the area, and it's importance overall in the country...

Boston is the 10th largest Metro Statistical Area, and with Providence it's the 6th largest Combined Statistical Area in the country. Additionally, the area in Foxboro has had an NASL team, hosted the World Cup, and has been home to an original MLS founding club, that's remained successful.

I think it's all but certain that it would be included.

Realistically there would have to be 5-6 other cities not in the top 12 to knock it out. Where would they come from? Who would have a stronger case than Boston/New England to host a World Cup match?

Listing the Combined Statistical areas in the county by size, and their respective stadiums, the top 20 in order would be;

NY - Met Life
    LA - Rose Bowl
    Chicago - Soldiers Field
    Washington - Fed Ex Field
    San Francisco Bay - Levi's Field???
    Boston - Gillette Stadium
    Dallas-Ft Worth - ATT Stadium
    Philadelphia - Lincoln Financial Field
    Houston - Reliant Stadium
    Miami - Sun Life Stadium
    Atlanta - Georgia Dome
    Detroit - Ford Field
    ----------------------------
    Seattle - CenturyLink Field
    Pheonix - Univ. of Pheonix Stadium
    Minneapolis - Univ of Minnesota Stadium
    Cleveland - FirstEnergy Stadium
    Denver - Sports Authority Field
    Portland - Jeld-Wen Stadium
    Orlando - Citrus Bowl
    St Louis - Edward Jones Dome
    Pittsburgh - Heinz Field
    Charlotte - Bank of America Stadium
    Sacramento - I don't even know
    Kansas City - Arrowhead Stadium
    Salt Lake City - Rio Tinto Stadium
    Columbus - Crew Stadium
    Indianapolis - Lucas Oil Stadium
    Las Vegas - I don't even know
    Cincinnati - Paul Brown Stadium
    Milwaukee - I don't even know
    Raleigh-Durham - Wherever UNC or Duke's stadium?
    Nashville - LP Field

*** the list of CSA's doesn't include SD, PHX, and TB which don't have a CSA. I inserted PHX's MSA number, but left off TB and SD, as areas with only an outside shot at hosting, currently.

In that I'd see Atlanta, Philadelphia, and Detroit being the ones to potentially go, to bring in Seattle, Denver, and Phoenix... but I could see Denver being left out for being at altitude. I'm not even sure Phoenix is guaranteed to be in. I could also see Levi's Stadium being left out, since it looks like an awful stadium for a soccer match. Although, Kansas City will be a player because their new soccer complex, so Arrowhead may get a nod that it shouldn't as a stadium alone, but to reward KC and add one in the center of the country it could.

The trouble we would have is being too close to NY... but the same goes for the stretch from Boston to Washington... how many of the cities with large stadiums get included/left out. My guess is that Gillette, Met Life, and Fed Ex would be the 3 Northeastern US locations.

This is all speculation of course, but it will be the type of discussions the planners of the event would be having. This would be a long way off, and there would be numerous changes between now and then. There would also be pushes by stadiums owners, and localities to try and win a bid that could alter things.

The only way for Kraft to truly guarantee himself to be included in that list, is to make a 45k seat SSS on public transit, which stands out as a prime location for US MNT matches, and then in turn a prime Group Phase venue.

Aside from that... it only makes sense for Kraft to continue to operate the Revs right where they are in Gillette Stadium.

8. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    Thanks... that saved me the work on that! I figured it was that or a playoff, and Dallas didn't make the playoffs that year, so it was a matter of finding the outlier match that wasn't counted.

It doesn't drastically change the general trend though, just the range from 9k to 12k, and average between the teams from 12,5 to 13,1.

9. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    Can we add that to the chant suggestion thread, too? :D

10. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In your job do you get paid by the word ?

MM66, Crooked and SamSam repped this.
  11. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    Sort've...

12. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well, this thread is officially dead. Thanks Lothar.

13. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    [​IMG]

Perhaps we wait until after MLS Cup before we throw poop at each other?

14. mrt/MLS

mrt/MLS Member

Oct 11, 2003
    CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hopefully we'll all be too busy hugging, playing slapass, and crying tears of joy to bother with the poo flinging.

15. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just as a reminder to those who might have forgotten: the ignore function is a helpful tool.

MM66 repped this.
  16. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSFan123 and a517dogg repped this.
  17. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think he could make it even by car if he had one standing by. The Pats do not kick off until 8:30pm.

If the soccer game goes full OT and pk's then the car probably won't cut it.

18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/mlscup/201...bert-kraft-pull-revs-patriots-double-duty-mls

19. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This article just came out. What has happened in Frisco these past few years looks like just the tip of the ice berg. FC Dallas, either by luck or clairvoyance, absolutely nailed the choice of moving out to Frisco

Here is a snippet from the article

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/...-in-frisco-is-big-even-by-texas-standards.ece
    Boom in Frisco is big even by Texas standards
    I still remember when Frisco was just a speed bump in the two-lane road running north of Dallas.

A collection of old farm houses and fruit stands, its most visible landmark back then was the giant raccoon face painted on the town’s water tower.

Now with more than $5 billion in developments in the works, Frisco is arguably the most dynamic real estate market in Texas.

Ahead of Uptown, Plano, Richardson — Frisco has more huge developments these days than any other property market. And if only half of them get built, the one-time railroad town will be ground zero for the biggest commercial real estate boom ever in North Texas.

“Just about every tract of land from State Highway 121 to Main Street along the toll road is having plans made or is under development,” said Jim Gandy, CEO of the Frisco Economic Development Corp. “As large as these projects are, there is going to be a long line of announcements over the next couple of years.”

Last week, developers unveiled plans for another huge development. Frisco Station will ultimately have more than 14,000 workers and residents.

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    definitely worth a bump here...count me in:

https://www.revolutionsoccer.net/po...donations-american-red-cross-hurricane-harvey

8/28/17, 10:30pm

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Revolution are focused on helping those in need of assistance after the devastating damage caused by Hurricane Harvey over the weekend in Texas, especially in the greater Houston area. In an effort to provide much needed financial support to a community where they have family members and many friends, the Kraft family is offering to match all funds donated to the American Red Cross in support of Hurricane Harvey Disaster Relief Fund up to $1 million.

The unprecedented flooding has already claimed multiple lives, caused tens of thousands to evacuate their homes and affected millions of residents living in the greater Houston area, the nation’s fourth largest city.

“Amid the destruction caused by Hurricane Harvey over the weekend in Texas, the thoughts of our entire organization are with everyone impacted,” said New England Revolution Investor/Operator, Robert Kraft. “Houston is a city the New England Revolution and our fans have shared many competitive moments with – most notably the 2006 and 2007 MLS Cups against the Houston Dynamo. We are eager to provide our support and hope by matching donations we will encourage more people to give to help ease the recovery of our displaced neighbors. And we wish all of our friends at the Houston Dynamo and their fans the best during this time of need.”

NFLPatriot repped this.
  22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that it's "concussion awareness night" and if you don't buy a ticket, they'll cosh you over the head with a heavy, blunt object!

TOAzer repped this.
  23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States